The Student Room Group

Advanced Entry for Physics at Glasgow

Hey, I was wondering does anyone know the general requirements for advanced entry into physics at University of Glasgow. Also if anyone has gone through advanced entry, what did you think of it? Did you feel you benefited from skipping the first year and any general comments on your advanced entry would be greatly appreciated.

I'm studying A-levels in Maths, Biology, Physics and AS-levels in Chemistry and Further Maths. I haven't decided if i will do Further maths to A or AS level, I must decide when i go back to school in September.

Any comments are welcomed. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I am also wondering about this. I live in Scotland, so SAAS will pay fees for my first 3 years at uni. I am considering advanced entry because I could then get a MSci and only have to pay for 1 year instead of 2. I'm currently studying advanced highers in maths, physics and chemistry but I'm scared that I'll miss a lot if I skip year 1 and struggle to cope with year 2.
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure the standard from A-levels to 2nd year is A*AA (including maths and physics.)

Side note about SAAS. They will pay for up to 5 years of your degree i.e. you can start at year 1 and get the MSci and not have to pay any fees. 2nd year entry is doable but you will have to work harder than your fellow freshers and probably harder than the 2nd years who did 1st year. My general advice is to do 1st year entry unless you have financial difficulties which make 2nd year entry considerably better.
Reply 3
Oh, in that case I'm quite happy to do 1st year. But I am also tempted to second year purely because I would get my degree a year earlier, and sort of have an extra year to do what I want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending