Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm going on a beach holiday the week after next and I don't know what to do about my eyesight when around the pool and beach? I used to just wear neither contacts or glasses but my eyes have gone worse lately. I don't really want to wear glasses because they're impractical and you can't wear them swimming. I've thought about wearing contacts with goggles but there's still a risk that some water may get in my eyes.
    i don't know what to do about it! Do I just cope with my normal eyesight? It's not that bad but it's still quite blurry without, I'm a - 2 and - 2.5 in contact lenses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    X
    I got contact lenses to go on holiday, and recently I've been wearing them even at home! I got daily disposable ones that you can just throw away so if you lose one there's no stressing, you just get another or make do until the next day. I never planned to wear them a lot, but my Dad said "oooh, you'll move to contacts eventually", and I hate to say it but it's starting to look like he's right!

I'm just about to go and get another batch in a fortnight. I would definitely reccommend giving it a go at least. You might find you really like them!

A word of warning though, you've gotta give yourself enough time to get used to them. For the first few weeks I wondered why the hell anyone wants to fish around in their eyes, but you get used to it and better at doing it and it doesn't hurt or feel uncomfortable now.

Hope it helps!

EDIT: I'm a -4.5 and -4 so I can't function without something to correct it. It just frustrates me not being able to see!

ReputationRep:
    For swimming you can get presctiption goggles. And I agree with the other poster on the dailies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I just wear my contact lenses on holiday / in a pool etc. I'm -7.5 both eyes so blind as a bat without them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckyweck)
    I got contact lenses to go on holiday, and recently I've been wearing them even at home! I got daily disposable ones that you can just throw away so if you lose one there's no stressing, you just get another or make do until the next day. I never planned to wear them a lot, but my Dad said "oooh, you'll move to contacts eventually", and I hate to say it but it's starting to look like he's right!

I'm just about to go and get another batch in a fortnight. I would definitely reccommend giving it a go at least. You might find you really like them!

A word of warning though, you've gotta give yourself enough time to get used to them. For the first few weeks I wondered why the hell anyone wants to fish around in their eyes, but you get used to it and better at doing it and it doesn't hurt or feel uncomfortable now.

Hope it helps!

EDIT: I'm a -4.5 and -4 so I can't function without something to correct it. It just frustrates me not being able to see!
    Thanks for the reply! Sorry I was a bit unclear, I usually always wear contacts but I'm just unsure what to do when swimming and around the pool/ beach. I'll take a look into the prescription goggles! I know it is frustrating! That's why I love contact lenses, I'll definitely consider laser eye surgery when I'm older to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I wear monthly ones which you sleep in. As long as you put them in correctly in the first place (I.e. don't get an eyelash stuck in your eye), you don't even notice they're there. Not sure what the deal is with swimming but I think I've been swimming with them before and although you don't want to keep your eyes open underwater, I think it's OK for leisurely swimming.

Take spares though and your glasses just in case.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply! Sorry I was a bit unclear, I usually always wear contacts but I'm just unsure what to do when swimming and around the pool/ beach. I'll take a look into the prescription goggles! I know it is frustrating! That's why I love contact lenses, I'll definitely consider laser eye surgery when I'm older to be honest.
    Use contacts - I always do when on holiday. However, you might find they become a bit dry if you go to a place with a dry heat so get some saline eye drops (cheap, from boots or tesco or somewhere). I've never had problems with water getting in my eyes but if it is a problem, goggles will protect them as much as you can.

It also means you can wear sunglasses when you want as well without investing in prescription sunglasses - the main reason I choose contacts over glasses when I go away.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right! Yeah I'd say stick with lenses too. Goggles will cost you a fair bit I would imagine and if you have lenses already that won't cost you more! I used them in Greece and Finland last year. I had no problem in Greece and in Finland they just came out easier at the end of the day. Not sure if it was down to the air being dry or that I was getting better at getting them out!

Also, if you wear goggles you might get funny tan lines that you don't like later. :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is not safe to swim with contacts as they should not come into contact with any water. They can cause infections. See this link for info:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/contac...wim-in-cls.htm

They do however say that if you do decide to swim in contacts, use goggles and dailies that you can dispose of immediately after swimming to reduce the risk of infection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How about prescription sunglasses? I plan to use those for during the day and contacts in the evening whilst I'm on holiday, but luckily for me I can see without my glasses even if it isn't the best so swimming shouldn't be too much of an issue

ReputationRep:
    Daily lenses are the best solution. You just throw them away when you are out of the water (going home) and wear glasses.
    I manage to survive most of the time without glasses or contacts at the beach wearing glasses just for driving. I'm around -3 and -1.5 cylinder.
    But I do understand you, seeing blurry when having fun is less fun...

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.