The Student Room Group

BA vs LLB?

Hi there,

i'm studying in Scotland, about to enter first year, studying the BA Law course at Stirling...

basically, at the end of all this, i want the option to go into Law as a career (preferably IP based, so copyright etc) and wondered if it's worth putting the extra year in to get the LLB (i can change at the end of this year with good enough grades, but go back to 1st year of the LLB)

Any advice is appreciated
Reply 1
Can you not do a LLB from the start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aries1992
Can you not do a LLB from the start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

didnt have the grades to swap into LLB, they wanted AABB at higher, i got ABBBC, but i can swap after 1st year :/
Does the BA teach the core 7 topics: criminal, constitutional, contract, property I, property II, tort, EU? In other words, is it a qualifying law degree?

If so, then I wouldn't bother doing the LLB (and I can't think why they would give you the option to change). If not, as I suspect is the case, then I would say it's worth going for the qualifying law degree. It's either that or doing the GDL, which will cost you more in both time and money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
You need the LLB to practise law in Scotland. You could always do the BA degree then switch to the 2-year fast track LLB. Or you could get into Law School via an alternative route: an HND in Legal Services, or a university access course. You need to take a break from education for at least 2 years to be eligible for a university access course. Those are your options.
Reply 5
Original post by Choo.choo
You need the LLB to practise law in Scotland. You could always do the BA degree then switch to the 2-year fast track LLB. Or you could get into Law School via an alternative route: an HND in Legal Services, or a university access course. You need to take a break from education for at least 2 years to be eligible for a university access course. Those are your options.

Not quite true: http://www.lawscot.org.uk/education-and-careers/studying-law/how-to-become-a-scottish-solicitor-/alternative-routes-to-qualification

Original post by Rascacielos
Does the BA teach the core 7 topics: criminal, constitutional, contract, property I, property II, tort, EU? In other words, is it a qualifying law degree?

If so, then I wouldn't bother doing the LLB (and I can't think why they would give you the option to change). If not, as I suspect is the case, then I would say it's worth going for the qualifying law degree. It's either that or doing the GDL, which will cost you more in both time and money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably worth noting that the qualifying exams for Scotland are different, and even dependent on the university, here's a list: http://www.lawscot.org.uk/education-and-careers/studying-law/currently-studying-the-llb-/subjects-you-need-to-become-a-solicitor-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending