The Student Room Group

Providing proof of Maintenance Funds - A Tier 4 Application to UKBA

Hi TSR,

I’m an undergraduate going into third year in the autumn, and have a friend who is an international student (and did a semester at my university last year) who will also be entering studies for the next two years at the University of Leicester. As a prospective Tier 4 (General) student (for those of you who are familiar with the Visa application system) she has fulfilled all other requirements for entry into the UK as an undergraduate student (i.e.: unconditional offer from university, accommodation secured for the coming year, personal data and biometrics taken), and will soon be able to send off her visa application with all relevant information, with the exception of proof of ability to cover maintenance funds. As such she is required to show that she has sufficient funds to cover maintenance costs for the coming year. Therefore she has been asked to provide the UKBA with confirmation of £7200 p.a available to fund her stay in the UK.

I myself more than a year ago considered taking a year in New Zealand which required me to show that I had £14,000 p.a. available to me for the coming year. Speaking with the University and my department at the time, I found out that the usual way of showing this is to issue the relevant authorities with a recent bank statement showing you have this amount or in excess of it available to you.

I have now found out that the same applies to her as a student coming here, and that failure to provide this piece of information will result in an immediate failure of her visa application.

The bottom line is that her family currently cannot move a sum equivalent to £7,200 into any of their accounts, but will be able to pay and cover maintenance over the coming year.

So TSR, I was wondering if the UKBA would accept any other proofs of income in lieu of this, or if any other funding options are available that I may not have come across.
Reply 1
By all means, you have to show that the required maintenance cost is in your account for at least 28 days. Obtain a bank statement after the 28 days and submit same with the Visa application. The bank statement must not be more than 30 days old as at the time of submission of the Visa application. However, if the candidate is being sponsored by a reputable organisation or institution, a letter indicating that the organisation or institution would cover the maintenance cost, is enough as the required proof of fund. I just hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending