Turn on thread page Beta

I know who dies btw and how!!!!! Do you want to know????? It isn't Dumbledore!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well it was rather obvious who dies i thought.
    But anyway, i hate Harry Potter, and fortunately my brother is a lttle to young to read it, so the amount of it in the house is a minimum.

i am 17 and i also love harry potter! please, no one give away who dies because it will spoil it 4 the rest of us and it really isn't fair. I don't necessarily believe that dumbledore dies but it still ought to be found out by the reader. i have just finished chapter 18 i think it is- Dumbledore's Army and it has been fab so far. my friend has already finished the book but she says she didn't enjoy it as much as some of the others.

ReputationRep:
    hi im 14 i read it in 3 hours i got it delivered on sat morning i defy ne1 to no more about hp than me its really sad but there u go. dumbledore absolutely does NOT die, its sirius black! harry is majorly angry.
    the thing with the scar is that there is a prophecy about harry but unfortunatly the words also apply to neville longbottom, until he gets attacked by voldemort. the scar is his mark, and therefore harry becomes his equal. harry is the only person able to defeat voldemort. the thing in the forbidden forest is hagrids giant half brother, hes called grawpy. the package that sirius gives harry just inside the door of grimmauld place is a mirror that sirius and james(harrys father) used to use in separate detentions, it is a link that harry can use to speak to sirius. unfortunatly harry does not find this out until sirius is dead, killed by lestrange in the department of mysteries. obv u cannot talk to dead people.

another theory, is the reason neville longbottom is so forgetful, that he had an overdone memory charm like bertha jorkins in book4, did he have a memory charm to help him 4get his parents being insane??

i really wanna no if ne1 has the answer to this.

ReputationRep:
    NO ONE LOOK AT THE POST ABOVE- IT'S A SPOLIER
    the one by charley -it's a massive spoiler pretty much explaining the entire plot

honestly! after we just said NO SPOILERS! if you want to write it in do it in my one which is erm...something
    hang on *scrambles around wildly* Oh there we go:

'as requested- A thread to discuss the outcome of the new HP' is the name...

well I hope you read my big letters before you ruined it for yoursleves...alas

ReputationRep:
    Having not read the post above completely it has now become totally plain that the person writing it was meaning to ruin it...*grumbles* still- don;t read it if you don;t want to ruin the plot *sigh* - some people!

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potters a bit camp though isnt he. Ooh look at me pottering around, I'm Harry Potter. Look at my scar, ooh I'm a wizard. Lets all frollick and play quidditch.... Kiss my face!

Oh my gosh. some people on here are so lame. im a kiwi and the book came out at 11 01 on saturday my friend matilda has finished it she finished on sunday i am in a real muddle, my mum has gone out of town for the night and taken the book with her!! i couldnt beleive it. i was gutted. it was like buh bye reading for the night. i know the books almost off by heart. but i need to read it now!!!!!!! im up to page 189 and i know it isnt very fair but i have to share it with my mum and brother. i need you to give me hints on any sites of anything where you can read it online. does anyone know a site?
    love charleh

i need you to give me hints on any sites of anything where you can read it online. does anyone know a site?
    charleh,

Yes, i'm not a fan of Harry Potter myself, but apparently (well not apparently, you can i've looked) download it using a program called Ares. You can get Ares from www.download.com, and once you've downloaded it, start the program and click the tab at the top labelled 'search'. Then in the box on the left hand side of the screen select the circle labelled 'documents' and then type 'Harry Potter' into the search field. Then click 'search now', when i tried this all of the Harry Potter e-books came up including the new one. Some might download some might not, but you should find one to download eventually. The best e-books are in Adobe Acrobat format i personally think as opposed to word documents. Again, you will need to download Adobe to read it though if you haven't already got it. The files are only around 2mb so only take 5-10 minutes to download.

ReputationRep:
    May i ask people what is the deal with this whole Harry Potter fad?
    I mean seriously...

I agree with iluvatar - why is hp so popular? I saw the films cos my sister borrowed the dvd off a friend, and they're really not that good. ive read some of the books too and they're not particularly great either: the characters and plot are predictable (plot rather than plots because its roughly the same one every time). I can understand younger children liking them, but there are many many quality sf/f childrens books that deserve far greater sucess than hp.

ReputationRep:
    Never tarnish the books with the same crappy brush as the films...the films I think it would be fair to say- are very dissapointing-well thats my personal opinion anyway, especially as the boy playing harry cannot act -again my opinion...I would urge anyone not to be put off reading them because of the films and or merchandising...

You say the books have the same plot and perhaps a few do follow similar patterns -eg all but 3 end up with a one on one harry v voldermort type fight but they are still well written and humourous which is perhaps why people of all ages enjoy them. I think the fact that they are so popular book shops open at midnight on their release date shows that they have something special...but each to his own etc etc- I have never been able to understanbd the allure of watching soaps (if there was ever such a thing as predictable and repetative they are it!)- but thats a whole different thing so I'll just be quite now...*mumbles into eventual silence*

Oh and which childrens books do you find so appealing?

And I might just reccoment Diana Winn Jones -I had her books read to me when I was a wee wee lassy, and I still enjoy them now- actually that is possibly because they are not childrens books...well some are some arn't *egan bumbles on* anyway-if you fancy reading some of her stuff try 'Dark Lord Of Derkholm' or 'Howls moving castle* or something...

P.S please excuse my spelling...and *glances above* the length of this!

ReputationRep:
    I think the single most important thing that has made Harry Potter so big is the hype created form the media. There are som many much better books out there, better written, better story better everything basically, but because there is no 'hype', they end up collecting dust in book shops.

Its just so sad that once again, the general public has lowered themselves to this.

ReputationRep:
    I would agree that there has been a lot of 'media hype' as you put it...but I think it's unfair that you have put it's popularity totally down to that. The book obviously caught people's eye in the first place to become popular (and I would certainly not say I enjoyed it merely to go along with the crowd).

And I notice people keep saying that there are far better books out there etc etc- but no one is backing this up with some names and authors! If you know of a good- or in your opinion 'better' series/book then why not share it so we can maybe try em out!

ReputationRep:
    i have now finished the book + i loved it (even though some idiot sed who died). i am undecided as to whetehr it's my favorite- i loved the 3rd one as well + my older brother agrees. i think it's really sad that me and 2 of my (also 17 year old) friends all admitted to crying.

and i think it was horrid of charley (the spoiler) to say who died and basically give away the entire plot- for god's sake you have to get at least 700 pages into the book to find out that kind of stuff + one of my friends has now said he won't read the book because it has no mystery. how gutted would you be to get to the end of all the red herrings etc. to know what happened.

Hi!

Finished reading the book last night! I only started yesterday morning though....

Very good book, but i think the conclusion could be a bit better - why does Rowling want us to wait for the 6th book to find out what they got in their OWL's!

ReputationRep:
    I was also very sad at the death of ----- (I wont name incase anyone doesn;t want to know and managed to spot my warning before reading the spoiler...)...I also enjoyed book three, much more than book two especially...don't have a favourite though...

What do people predict will happen next? If you don't want to post on here incase there are people reading it who havn;t finished or don't want to guess I did set up a while back- a thread about the outcome but it was little used...if you'd like to post on it then it is called *checks*

'as requested- A thread to discuss the outcome of the new HP'

and lou p lou tell your friend to persist with reading it...even if he knows the basic plot I think it would still be worth while...

I wonder how long it will be until the next one it ready? it's not going to be as long...which is a shame really as I enjoyed the day and a bit worth of reading...ah well- just think two more to go and it's all over!

blah...anyway -have a good weekend everyone

ReputationRep:
    my friend (now my bf- woohoo!) has carried on with it, but now his sister has run off with it 2 her boyfriends for the weekend so he's sulking + is going to robmine, but i need to get it back of my brother.... far too complicated.

i was amazed at work today (i work in a doctors surgery) because i had a really long conversation with one of the doctors about ti, + he is the last person i could imagine who would be into it- but he's only halfway through so i was nice + didn't spoil the ending (i think i would have been throttled if i had, because i was the only one there who'd finished it)

ReputationRep:
    lol...my family purchased two copies so there would be no hair pulling incidents!

and it is suprising how many read it...I wonder if your doctor fellow has the 'adult' cover...it always makes me laugh thinking of the businessmen on trains hiding it behind their broadsheets...

ReputationRep:
    all the fuss about da new book has persuaded me 2 read them all!

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.