The Student Room Group

I'm skinny fat. Help me?

Just some quick background info

18 years old
5'1 tall and weigh 46kg.
My diet is pretty basic (cereal, eggs, chicken, fruit, soup, cheese...). I hardly ever eat junk food but I do eat dark chocolate every day.

I definitely fit into the skinny fat category. I'm slim but I never, ever exercise. I'm incredibly unfit and I'm sick of it!
However, I have social anxiety so I don't want to go to the gym and I feel too self conscious to run outside. :frown:

Is there anything I can do from inside my home to change this? I hate being skinny fat and wobbly, I want to be firmer and a bit stronger (I'm incredibly weak).

Honestly I think you should just take a dive and join the gym. You need to address your social anxiety, it's all in your head.

Try out some bodyweight exercises at home such as push-ups, pull-ups (buy a bar for this), tricep dips on a kitchen worktop, bodyweight squats etc.

But you will get much better and quicker results joining a gym and starting a routine focusing on heavy weight, low rep compound exercises such as squats, DL, bench and press etc.
Reply 2
Join a gym. Don't be anxious. Everyone at a gym went there to start with because they were unhappy with how they were so they won't judge you (nor particularly care to be honest).

For health just find 1-2 aerobic exercises that you most enjoy and do them at moderate-high intensity for a decent amount of time (you'll start low maybe 10 mins and build up) 3 times a week. You'll be surprised how rapidly your health improves when you start out :smile:
Reply 3
I'd say it's genetics. You can change some things, but not everything.

And I get your point about not wanting to go to the gym. I have been lifting weights for 3 years, and I'm fairly average (not skinny, and not buff) and I still feel so self conscious when I walk into the weights room every time.
It does help to go along with a friend though, at least you won't be alone.

I don't know what girls usually do at the gym, but you can lift some weights (buy some light weights) if you feel you're too weak, just google some exercises. Once you reach up to par, you should feel more confident about going to the gym.

I guess squats, ab crunches and some step fit exercises will be good if you don't have any equipment at home.

EDIT: Haha I was not expecting to get negged for this. Can someone tell me what was wrong with what I said? I was being truthful and spoke with my personal experiences.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Aerobics and dance classes are a good place to start. Young adult or student classes can be full of already fit people, but what I've found in my area at least is that evening classes aimed at older adults are great, because you will probably be fitter than some of the people there and there's less pressure be sociable.

I'm too self conscious to run outside too, but I'm okay with cycling because you can get past people more quickly than they can identify who you are!
Reply 5
I'll be honest with you, I'm also skinny fat and I joined a gym and yes I did get weird looks as if to say 'why is she here?!' but just stick it out and get in shape. Don't worry about what anybody has to say just do it for yourself!
Reply 6
try finding an exercise class outside of a gym like zumba, they're usually full of people who dont want to go to the gym, they're more fun in my view and you dont feel like you're being judged by everyone.
Workouts at home are easy to do and get going with. They may also be a good place to start if you're worried about doing so in a public area.

Just search the web, including YouTube for 5/10 minute workouts etc and that will be a decent place to start.

Ultimately just running around where you live you should attempt to do sometime.
step into the gym and leave your pride at the door like everyone else
Reply 9
Thanks guys for the tips! I know I should just go to the gym, but the thought terrifies me. I'm far too self conscious and everyone would wonder what a weedy girl like me is doing trying to lift weights XD
Reply 10
What about jogging around your local area but early morning about 7am maybe, the only people around then are dog walkers and people going to work so no one will pay attention to you....I'm probably the same as you, eventually I may attempt to do this and I completely agree about the gym being scary I've never even set foot in a gym so I'm going to start running I'm just trying to get up a bit earlier each day so I will be able to go running at a daft time and wii zumba as well maybe.
Original post by dawn94
Thanks guys for the tips! I know I should just go to the gym, but the thought terrifies me. I'm far too self conscious and everyone would wonder what a weedy girl like me is doing trying to lift weights XD

Nobody would care. They probably wouldn't even notice you're there.

the world doesn't revolve around you
Original post by dawn94

Honestly you probably won't be the only one! Even if you are people are too engrossed in their own workouts to even notice what's going on around them most of the time. If they do judge you then that's laughable, there's nothing wrong with someone taking control of their own body!
Take it from a fellow weedy girl who lifts weights :smile:
Your social anxiety is making you skinny fat. Get out to the gym honestly no one cares what you do. Plus once you hit a nice workout youll feel too good to care. And you get to speak to people.
The gym actually got rid of my social anxiety.
Original post by dawn94
Just some quick background info

18 years old
5'1 tall and weigh 46kg.
My diet is pretty basic (cereal, eggs, chicken, fruit, soup, cheese...). I hardly ever eat junk food but I do eat dark chocolate every day.

I definitely fit into the skinny fat category. I'm slim but I never, ever exercise. I'm incredibly unfit and I'm sick of it!
However, I have social anxiety so I don't want to go to the gym and I feel too self conscious to run outside. :frown:

Is there anything I can do from inside my home to change this? I hate being skinny fat and wobbly, I want to be firmer and a bit stronger (I'm incredibly weak).

I'd first recommend getting up and going to the gym. There's honestly nothing to be frightened of - the people in there are all there for the same reason, and because of this, I find that people tend to respect each other more in such an environment.

Also, if you continue not going out, you'll never get over the anxiety - it's no use trying to think your way out of it. Going and doing it will help you get more and more confident to leave the house and hit the gym. It's hard, but it'll be worth it - you gotta choose between the right way and the easy way sometimes...this is one of those times for you. See it as a challenge.

Message me if you've any further questions or need any help.

You got this, bud.
I was nervous TK join the gym, as I get anxious too. But maybe joining a gym class, like spin or an exercise class would be better. Then your in a controlled environment with help and other people with the same aims as you. My friend does that as she gets too anxious to go to the normal gym

Quick Reply

Latest