The Student Room Group

Feeling lonely and low on friends, tips on making me happier/improving myself?

Hi :smile:

I'm off from uni at the moment (I'm 20), and I don't have any friends at the moment, so feeling kind of unhappy/lonely. I've always struggled to make friends (haven't made any at uni), and I want to use these holidays to do something proactive.

I'm doing volunteer work (couple of different ones), and trying out a variety of different types of volunteer work. Enjoy this, feels like I'm doing something and it feels good that I'm meeting new people and potentially unfamiliar challenges. I applied for jobs this summer too, but haven't got a job unfortunately. I'm still trying to apply though.

I'm doing exercise too over the summer, make myself feel a bit better and stay fit, and I try and play as much badminton, tennis as I can with my relatives. Though I have trouble finding people to play with, so I'm not playing as much as I'd like to or at uni where there are more social sessions and clubs around where you can play. Got my guitar too, trying to get better at that and reading a bit more and trying to learn a language. Though these things particularly things involved doing on my own, I'm losing motivation to do these days.

I find it pretty hard to make friends with others, it's difficult for me, dunno how people do it so easily. I do get kind of anxious in social situations quite a bit, my mind often blanks and it's difficult to think what to say or my throat closes up, which sucks it gets rather depressing. I have a picture in my mind who I want to be when I go up talking to people/fellow students and I'm confident in my ability to converse and make jokes when I'm relaxed/at home, but often in those situations it doesn't go to plan, my mind empties and it's hard to think of what to say, or that joke. It's also very hard to appear and feel natural and relaxed in that state too.

I wonder if there's any tips on approaching people and coming across better with people. I'm generally always smiling, and people don't seem to dislike me but I've been thinking maybe it's my body language or tone of voice that's bad, it's hard to really make that connection with them and for them to warm up to me. I've asked relatives about it, but they say there's nothing wrong with it, but of course they might be biased. So I'm tried to work out what I can do about that.

So yeah, I'd appreciate any advice or tips/ideas I can get to improve myself or generally just feel a bit happier these holidays.

Thanks
Reply 1
I currently feel like I'm in a similar situation to yourself (except I'm 21 and just graduated from uni). Like you, I struggle to make and maintain lasting relationships; beyond my friends from secondary school. I have friends at uni, but I suppose they're just not as close to me as my friends back home are. I have quite a calm and quiet temperament naturally and tend to get anxious when meeting new people (even though I don't show it at all). I struggle to have small-talk but really enjoy talking in-depth about topics that I find interesting and meaningful.

I think trying to improve yourself is a good idea, I'm currently trying to do the same (learning a language, learning to program, and read more books). I'll be applying for a masters this September, so I have just over a year of this; should I find a place on a masters course. I'm guessing from your post that you learn more towards the introvert side of the personality spectrum (I consider myself one too). I'd suggest taking the time to read Quiet by Susan Cain. In it she gives a well-rounded account of introverts and extroverts in todays society, case studies of influential introverts and their role in society, as well as the benefits and flaws of our personality trait. Crucially, she also suggest ways to overcome our weaknesses - she herself was once a very successful lawyer. She also references a lot of scientific studies over the years which I found to be very interesting.

I think it's a worth reading because, personally, I have been able to identify with it quite a lot and it has certainly helped me to understand myself better. It's certainly given me the motivation to focus on improving myself and work to the benefits of being an introvert.

Before reading the book though, you can always watch her TED talk on YouTube, it's only 20 minutes and an interesting talk regardless of whether you'll read the book afterwards or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4

I'm going travelling to Japan later this year, I'm hoping the time away and being immersed in a completely different culture will help clear my head a bit..
Original post by Razforest
Hi :smile:

I'm off from uni at the moment (I'm 20), and I don't have any friends at the moment, so feeling kind of unhappy/lonely. I've always struggled to make friends (haven't made any at uni), and I want to use these holidays to do something proactive.

I'm doing volunteer work (couple of different ones), and trying out a variety of different types of volunteer work. Enjoy this, feels like I'm doing something and it feels good that I'm meeting new people and potentially unfamiliar challenges. I applied for jobs this summer too, but haven't got a job unfortunately. I'm still trying to apply though.

I'm doing exercise too over the summer, make myself feel a bit better and stay fit, and I try and play as much badminton, tennis as I can with my relatives. Though I have trouble finding people to play with, so I'm not playing as much as I'd like to or at uni where there are more social sessions and clubs around where you can play. Got my guitar too, trying to get better at that and reading a bit more and trying to learn a language. Though these things particularly things involved doing on my own, I'm losing motivation to do these days.

I find it pretty hard to make friends with others, it's difficult for me, dunno how people do it so easily. I do get kind of anxious in social situations quite a bit, my mind often blanks and it's difficult to think what to say or my throat closes up, which sucks it gets rather depressing. I have a picture in my mind who I want to be when I go up talking to people/fellow students and I'm confident in my ability to converse and make jokes when I'm relaxed/at home, but often in those situations it doesn't go to plan, my mind empties and it's hard to think of what to say, or that joke. It's also very hard to appear and feel natural and relaxed in that state too.

I wonder if there's any tips on approaching people and coming across better with people. I'm generally always smiling, and people don't seem to dislike me but I've been thinking maybe it's my body language or tone of voice that's bad, it's hard to really make that connection with them and for them to warm up to me. I've asked relatives about it, but they say there's nothing wrong with it, but of course they might be biased. So I'm tried to work out what I can do about that.

So yeah, I'd appreciate any advice or tips/ideas I can get to improve myself or generally just feel a bit happier these holidays.

Thanks

Had a quite similar problem to you :
My advice would be engage with everyone and anyone you come into. Even when your going to the shop just say 'have a good day' lol it sounds pretty weird but since i got my firt job its just been a lot easier to engage with people and have a nice conversation with a lot of people .
When you do talk to people try and look into a persons eye and smile , it just makes you more approachable.
Also dont choose always the cliques etc its important to look around and see people who perhaps dont fit in.
Also you dont need to be hilarious etc person to talk to , you just need to be a good listener. Friends like it when you are easy to talk to .

Just be confident , smiley and energetic :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for the responses guys. Appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending