The Student Room Group

15 August 2013 A-Level results: AS-Levels: what next after results?

AS-Levels: what next after results?

Firstly congratulations on receiving your results and for most of you completing your first year of sixth form or college! The purpose of this thread is to guide you through what happens next, from understanding what your results slip means and the receiving of certificates to knowing what subject is best to drop. Hopefully this thread answers all of your questions and if you have anymore, feel free to post in this thread!

If you want more details on what to do if you didn't get the results that you wanted, check our our guide A-Level results: Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? If you want to discuss your results in more detail, then you want to go to the results discussion thread. We also have a thread where you can post your results and another which will inform you the grade boundaries for June 2013 upon publication.

How do I interpret my results slip?

Will I receive certificates for my AS-Levels?

How will my AS-Level results contribute to A-Levels?

Should I retake AS modules to maximise my UMS?

How do I achieve an A* at A-Level?

Should I drop a subject did at AS-Level?

I have decided to drop a subject, but how should choose which?

I am doing Maths and Further Maths, can still drop a subject?

Should I take up an additional AS-Level?

Will universities see my AS-Level results?

I did a full A-Level this year, will universities include it in my offer?

How should I choose universities now have my AS-Level results?

I'm thinking of applying to Medicine or Oxbridge. Is there anything else I should know?

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

On the results slip, there's a big grade, then a smaller grade in brackets afterwards eg A(a). What does this mean?
Reply 2
Original post by King Hotpie
On the results slip, there's a big grade, then a smaller grade in brackets afterwards eg A(a). What does this mean?

I think the big grade shows that it's the overall grade of the AS level and not a module grade then the smaller a means that it's an AS level and not a full A level

Edit no that can't be right, just seen what you're looking at
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3

It's how the exam board publishes the mark generally. So in the case of you doing a double award for GCSE's, it could have been seen as A*A*(a*a*) :tongue:

It's just the lower case version of the letter.. dunno why, it's just how they publish them
Reply 5
If I want to go to a university that requires AAB but i get something like BBB on results day,but i manage to get predicted at AAB then can i still get in even though my actual grades are less than those that are predicted ?
Reply 6
Original post by krishkmistry
If I want to go to a university that requires AAB but i get something like BBB on results day,but i manage to get predicted at AAB then can i still get in even though my actual grades are less than those that are predicted ?

It all depends on your whole application. Some schools have a policy that they will predict you a grade higher then what you got at AS. Some will predict you the same and others will actually predict down :eek: Remember that it is the whole application they take into account so if you find that you don't have the ideal grades but want to apply make sure the rest of your application is strong (so a really good PS). This then gives you a fighting chance for an offer :smile:
just a question on this:

I am doing Maths and Further Maths, can I still drop a subject?
"If you are doing Further Maths and intend to drop one of your other subjects, it should be noted that some universities will consider a subject set of Maths, Further Maths and another to A-Level to be too narrow. It is best to do some research before making this choice."

What does this mean? The entry requirements to study maths at most universities are Maths, further maths and one other subject. Why would that be too narrow? Further maths is a full A-level
Reply 8
Original post by simonbaker123
just a question on this:

"If you are doing Further Maths and intend to drop one of your other subjects, it should be noted that some universities will consider a subject set of Maths, Further Maths and another to A-Level to be too narrow. It is best to do some research before making this choice."

What does this mean? The entry requirements to study maths at most universities are Maths, further maths and one other subject. Why would that be too narrow? Further maths is a full A-level

For subjects such add physics, maths, engineering and maybe economics BSc and econometrics it would be completely fine, but for other subjects broader subjects should be considered.
Usually on a course entry requirements page it'll tell you if it's accepted or not, but for maths you should certainly be fine. If concerned email an admissions tutor

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Reply 9
Original post by simonbaker123
just a question on this:

This is more of the case if you decide to not to maths/physics at university (so if you decided to do medicine at UCL, they would not accept Further maths as a full a level for example)
Let's say I get CCCC for AS-Level, will Universities take this into account when deciding whether to give me an offer? Even if I get predicted by my school to achieving ABAB (random example) at the end of A2?
Original post by CurtisDean
Let's say I get CCCC for AS-Level, will Universities take this into account when deciding whether to give me an offer? Even if I get predicted by my school to achieving ABAB (random example) at the end of A2?

Assuming that you're "cashing in" the qualification at this point, you'll have to put the qualification on your UCAS application so they may well do so, yes. The amount of weight that they put on AS grades will vary between institutions, though.
Reply 12
How do you think this is going to affect me. I am currently studying Maths Physics FMaths & Maths for As. However I am applying to medicine and choosing Maths & FMaths will reduce the Unis I can apply to. I plan on dropping FMaths and using my additional modules to add onto My Maths A-Level meaning I will only need to take C3 & C4. I am also carrying on with chemistry however I'm thinking of dropping Physics and picking up Biology as I think that I am better at Biology than I am at Physics although I will have to do both my As & A2s in one year. When the Universities see that I have no module grades for Biology. That I only have As grades for Maths & Chemistry will that affect my offer?

Physics will be my official As result.
Original post by AhmedDavid
How do you think this is going to affect me. I am currently studying Maths Physics FMaths & Maths for As. However I am applying to medicine and choosing Maths & FMaths will reduce the Unis I can apply to. I plan on dropping FMaths and using my additional modules to add onto My Maths A-Level meaning I will only need to take C3 & C4. I am also carrying on with chemistry however I'm thinking of dropping Physics and picking up Biology as I think that I am better at Biology than I am at Physics although I will have to do both my As & A2s in one year. When the Universities see that I have no module grades for Biology. That I only have As grades for Maths & Chemistry will that affect my offer?

Physics will be my official As result.

Each university will have their own way of weighting each element of your application so we can't really give a definitive answer - you might try asking your question in the Medicine forum, perhaps? I believe that the key subject for studying Medicine is usually Chemistry, moreso than Biology, so having that at AS-Level already can only be a good thing.
Reply 14
Not long to go now!

Fed up of waiting haha
Reply 15
I've done C1 and C2 of AS Maths in Y10 and won't be cashing in until next year when I complete AS and do A2. Will this affect my application to unis as don't some want to see UMS grades for all modules of around 95- I won't have them for my AS will I? Anyway I've estimated I've got 99 and 91/92 UMS in these first 2 exams so will the 2nd result be viewed negatively by some places- it's not 95 ot above! Does anyone know? Thanks.
Reply 16
Original post by PhysicsKid
I've done C1 and C2 of AS Maths in Y10 and won't be cashing in until next year when I complete AS and do A2. Will this affect my application to unis as don't some want to see UMS grades for all modules of around 95- I won't have them for my AS will I? Anyway I've estimated I've got 99 and 91/92 UMS in these first 2 exams so will the 2nd result be viewed negatively by some places- it's not 95 ot above! Does anyone know? Thanks.

It will affect your application because most universities won't make an a level done in year 11 part of your offer

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Reply 17
What does cashing in mean?
Reply 18
Original post by barnj052
What does cashing in mean?

If you average 85% at AS level then you'll only need 75% at A2

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
so the conditions to get A* in maths is,get at least 480/600 ums(thats maths at As and A2 combined),with 90% in C3 and C4?

Quick Reply

Latest