The Student Room Group

Why is this masters degree so cheap?

I've been looking around for a masters in medieval history. I've found a great looking one at one of the country's top 20 universities, but it's only £5,000. For a lot of people I know, their masters degrees cost £9,000 on the conservative end.

Is this something I should be concerned about?
As long as it's not a part-time, or evenings, degree, I'm sure it's fine (even if it was that might not be an issue). Good find.
Reply 2
Which uni is it?
Some larger universities have larger endowments. So dont need to really attract foreign students, they just want the best students through the door. They may not be top 5 for example who have the luxury of lots of students applying and charge sky high fees.
Reply 4
Original post by Dunelm
Which uni is it?

University of East Anglia - I did my undergraduate at Durham.
Reply 5
Why don't you stay at Durham?
Reply 6
Original post by Namige
Why don't you stay at Durham?

Because I hated it with every fibre of my being.
Reply 7
It's totally fine. I have had offers for master degrees from almost all the top universities (including Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL) amd their cots were around 7k. Also, the competition was high since at their statistics they show that they rejected a big amount of people (many times more than the ones they accepted). Don't assume that the higher the cost the better the degree.
Reply 8
Seems legit to me. I'd go for it if you want to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Another medievalist! Hi! :hi:

Yeah, that does sound awfully cheap! Obviously you still need to factor in living costs and accommodation, but the tuition certainly seems competitive. As another poster said, if you like the look of the course, and are also attracted by the price, then I would go for it :smile:

Best of luck with your studies, and hit me up if you ever wanna chat about medieval stuff! There are too few of us on here!
Original post by Foxfight04
Because I hated it with every fibre of my being.

What was wrong with Durham, it's a uni I'm seriously considering so I'm curious here?
Lots of courses are £5000-6000; it's pretty typical from my experience.
Reply 12
I guess it wouldn't be so cheap at a better university.
Reply 13
Original post by yothi5
I guess it wouldn't be so cheap at a better university.

Actually, having looked further into it, Durham - one of the leading medieval universities - prices its masters between 5 and 6 grand. UEA isn't a bad university, either.
Reply 14
Original post by shuheb789
What was wrong with Durham, it's a uni I'm seriously considering so I'm curious here?

Oh no, the uni's great - I just did the wrong course and had a few bad experiences that would have happened anywhere. Don't let me put you off.
Reply 15
Original post by shuheb789

Nothing at all is wrong with Durham. I did my undergrad there and loved every second of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending