The Student Room Group

Bulgaria Pleven Medical University

Hi,

So like most I am due for my results in August for A-levels. Receiving all rejections this time round, and 100% sure I will not make the AAA and get CCB/BBC I have decided even if I resit all my subjects theres no chance since I did not take a 4th AS first time round plus im restting so the med school will tell me to do another degree i.e. bio-med (grad entry).

But Im thinking whats the point? Why don't I just go abroad? So I came across Bulgaria Medical University Pleven They teach in English and ofcourse you have to learn the language by 3rd year but it's manageable? Substitute the learning a language for doing a 3 years of a biomed course lol.

So I am asking/pleading for any advice/information/support from anyone that is a current student in Bulgaria or from Bulgaria that can actually give me any information of the process in applying/quality of teaching etc.

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by king101
Hi,

So like most I am due for my results in August for A-levels. Receiving all rejections this time round, and 100% sure I will not make the AAA and get CCB/BBC I have decided even if I resit all my subjects theres no chance since I did not take a 4th AS first time round plus im restting so the med school will tell me to do another degree i.e. bio-med (grad entry).

But Im thinking whats the point? Why don't I just go abroad? So I came across Bulgaria Medical University Pleven They teach in English and ofcourse you have to learn the language by 3rd year but it's manageable? Substitute the learning a language for doing a 3 years of a biomed course lol.

So I am asking/pleading for any advice/information/support from anyone that is a current student in Bulgaria or from Bulgaria that can actually give me any information of the process in applying/quality of teaching etc.

Thank you

Hi King101

I contacted the university directly and had an e-mail from a Miss Petya. You can e-mail her at [email protected]. She advised me to speak with the university's UK rep called outreach education. They are a free advisory service and help you with your application. You can find them at www.outreacheducation.co.uk or contact the university first and ask them if they would advise applying directly or speaking with the guys at outreach.

Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by mobot
Hi King101

I contacted the university directly and had an e-mail from a Miss Petya. You can e-mail her at [email protected]. She advised me to speak with the university's UK rep called outreach education. They are a free advisory service and help you with your application. You can find them at www.outreacheducation.co.uk or contact the university first and ask them if they would advise applying directly or speaking with the guys at outreach.

Good luck

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I have done the same. I contacted outreacheducation.co.uk and they sent me an application form. Just filled it in and sent it back to them. Have you done the same?

By the way -I'm geussing your from the UK- if so have you got FaceBook? PM me you FB thing and I'll add you or if you have a number so we can talk over the phone. I think if we know already someone from the UK i.e. both of us going it would make the transition from UK to bulgaria much more easier since we could help each other out-finding right food shops,currency,language and all :smile:
yo
i have a conditionnel offer for Pleven! I am basically in the same situation i hate the idea of wasting time on a 3 yr biomed course :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by CHEM AND BIO TIME!
yo
i have a conditionnel offer for Pleven! I am basically in the same situation i hate the idea of wasting time on a 3 yr biomed course :wink:

Congratz! I gave my application form to outreacheducation.co.uk yesterday so hope I'll get an offer. They say it would be unconditional based upon getting BBB grade wise.

So have you got BBB already? And defiantly going in Feb? I agree hate Biomed not going to waste 3 years doing that then even MORE COMPETITIVE apply for grad Medicine. So the way I see it, we are literally going straight in for Medicine. Of course the Language is a problem but the way I see it as, 3 years for learning a language+on the med course itself hence no time wasted :smile:. Do you get what I mean?

Have you got FaceBook (and if so) PM your name ill add you so we can talk :smile:.
Reply 5
Hi all

How long did it take to get a response?

Also will you be applying for the student loan?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Meant2BMed!
Hi all

How long did it take to get a response?

Also will you be applying for the student loan?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,

Just contact outreacheducation.co.uk. That's what I did. Once I sent the application form off, they said it would take 2 weeks for an unconditional offer and then need my results for a conditional offer.
Reply 7
Hi guys

How long did the process take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Reply 9
It's good they have the loan system

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Meant2BMed!
It's good they have the loan system

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by CHEM AND BIO TIME!
yo

Hi - did you get the grades? and are you going to Pleven? I'm in a similar position to you I got BBBD at A level and possibility for retake for a UK med school isn't looking good. I have contacted out reach too, currently filling in an application form for Pleven. Out reach indicated that I would have a place. Do you know any more info, to me it sounds a bit too good to be true!
Reply 12
Hey could you help answer the question on the thread i created,i would be very grateful! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2428609
Reply 13
Original post by CalHoward
Hi - did you get the grades? and are you going to Pleven? I'm in a similar position to you I got BBBD at A level and possibility for retake for a UK med school isn't looking good. I have contacted out reach too, currently filling in an application form for Pleven. Out reach indicated that I would have a place. Do you know any more info, to me it sounds a bit too good to be true!

Which subjects did you get the grades in?
Reply 14
hi my subjects were Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics - all Bs and music D. Since posting on here I am not sure that I will complete application as currently taking more advice.
Original post by monagia
Which subjects did you get the grades in?
Reply 15
Original post by CalHoward
hi my subjects were Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics - all Bs and music D. Since posting on here I am not sure that I will complete application as currently taking more advice.

I was going to visit Pleven but have decided to speak to the university when they come over in october for the student world. There is no rush so doing this first http://www.thestudentworld.com/university_finder/profile/medical_university_pleven
Reply 16
I actually booked a place there, coincidence, is it the one in Manchester? I think you should apply-you don't need any personal statement or anything. You only need to scan in GCSE certificates and passport info. At the end of the day you can always reject the conditional offer that you get.
Reply 17
Hi! I am also in the same position as you all. I got a conditional offer at MU Pleven, but I really would like to know more about it. Also it really would be great if we all sort of knew each other... Does anyone know how long they have been teaching Medicine in English?
Reply 18
Hey guys, I'm also applying to Pleven, seems very popular with UK students which is good. Learning Bulgarian could be a hassle but definitely worth it in the long run. Contacted outreach education yesterday and currently filling out the application form.

Who's going to the uni open day thing at the Emirates in London on October 13th?
Reply 19
I'm going to the Manchester one. There's also a pre-departure briefing in January in Stoke-on-trent. That is, if your're 100% going.

Quick Reply

Latest