The Student Room Group

Can I do Art and Design at A level without doing art for GCSE?

I'm in year 10 at the moment and I feel like I made a mistake in not taking art for GCSE. Would it be possibly for me to take art for A levels, without the GCSE? I'm assuming that it probably depends on the sixth form I wanted to go to, but could I possibly work on a portfolio to show them that I would be capable of doing the a level?
My college does not require Art at GCSE, but it does require a portfolio to present to the tutor.

However this may not be the case everywhere, some colleges may require both.
Reply 2
My daughter's sixth form college took her on to A level Art based on her GCSE textiles portfolio. She's taken various courses in her spare time (Game Art, Life Drawing etc.). You can work on a portfolio in your own time to show to any potential college. You should have plenty of time to discuss requirements with colleges and work on what's needed.

Good luck: my daughter started her A levels studying all sciences and Art as a "distraction", and now she is hoping to study it at uni in the autumn :smile:
Reply 3
As you said, it all depends on the Sixth Form, but they usually require you to have taken an Art & Design subject, which apart from art may include textiles, product design etc. Although if you can draw and have passion for it, they should accept a portfolio and base their opinion on that. I know my Sixth Form requires an Art & Design subject, they also like to see some example of students' work.
And anyway you still have time, so maybe try to look at any art courses you can do outside of school, just to even gain some skills, which would be beneficial as the Sixth Form would see that although you didn't take it at GCSE you have an interest in, which genuinely is more important than a grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
So would Design Technology count as an Art & Design subject?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
no, i got declined from doing art alevel because design and tech is more 'technical' then artistic apparently

Quick Reply

Latest