The Student Room Group

"People wrong about nearly everything"

British public wrong about nearly everything, survey shows

"A new survey for the Royal Statistical Society and King's College London shows public opinion is repeatedly off the mark on issues including crime, benefit fraud and immigration.

"- Benefit fraud: the public think that £24 of every £100 of benefits is fraudulently claimed. Official estimates are that just 70 pence in every £100 is fraudulent - so the public conception is out by a factor of 34.
- Immigration: some 31 per cent of the population is thought to consist of recent immigrants, when the figure is actually 13 per cent.
- Teen pregnancy is thought to be 25 times higher than the official estimates: 15 per cent of of girls under 16 are thought to become pregnant every year, when official figures say the amount is closer to 0.6 per cent.
Among the other surprising figures are that 26 per cent of people think foreign aid is in the top three items the Government spends money on (it actually makes up just 1.1 per cent of expenditure), and that 29 per cent of people think more is spent on Jobseekers' Allowance than pensions.
In fact we spend 15 times more on pensions - £4.9 billion on JSA vs £74.2 billion on pensions.

Interesting. But, stats can make any argument. Been convinced?
(edited 10 years ago)
I think headlines such as these just perpetuate the problem. How are 29% or 31% of the population's opinion somehow indicative of the general public's ignorance? If I keep reading headlines like these and you asked me what percentage of the British public are off-the-mark when it comes to these various issues I'd wager about 70%+ .

Anyway, I think critical thinking is needed more than statistical literacy. This isn't very surprising stuff considering how negative (not that I'm complaining, how many times can you report the fact that crimes are down vs reporting on the latest murder?) the news is.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski

"A new survey for the Royal Statistical Society and King's College London shows public opinion is repeatedly off the mark on issues including crime, benefit fraud and immigration.

"- Benefit fraud: the public think that £24 of every £100 of benefits is fraudulently claimed. Official estimates are that just 70 pence in every £100 is fraudulent - so the public conception is out by a factor of 34.
- Immigration: some 31 per cent of the population is thought to consist of recent immigrants, when the figure is actually 13 per cent.
- Teen pregnancy is thought to be 25 times higher than the official estimates: 15 per cent of of girls under 16 are thought to become pregnant every year, when official figures say the amount is closer to 0.6 per cent.
Among the other surprising figures are that 26 per cent of people think foreign aid is in the top three items the Government spends money on (it actually makes up just 1.1 per cent of expenditure), and that 29 per cent of people think more is spent on Jobseekers' Allowance than pensions.
In fact we spend 15 times more on pensions - £4.9 billion on JSA vs £74.2 billion on pensions.

I think there is no secure accuracy to any set of statistics regarding immigration/finance etc. (especially with our government), and these are no exception. I think it's also exaggerating when it says 'everything', though they seem to have failed to mention a public consensus on anything about the lack of dangers posed by soft drugs such as cannabis.
Reply 3
The public are sensationalists. Big surprise.
Reply 4
George Carlin: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski

I think a more accurate conclusion would be "Media is ****", or "People too trusting of the media".

That article isn't too clear in its findings itself. For example, what does " the public think that £24 of every £100 of benefits is fraudulently claimed" mean? Did they ask all the people (1015 of them) to state a number and then average them? Is £24 the median?
Reply 6
Never let a fact get in the way of holding an enjoyable opinion. It's the tsr way :smile:

ever wonder what proportion of people linking news websites to support their opinion in a tsr post use the daily mail?
Reply 7
Wonder how many of these are DM readers...
Reply 8
Original post by Hopple
I think a more accurate conclusion would be "Media is ****", or "People too trusting of the media".

That article isn't too clear in its findings itself. For example, what does " the public think that £24 of every £100 of benefits is fraudulently claimed" mean? Did they ask all the people (1015 of them) to state a number and then average them? Is £24 the median?

in some set ups you get a wisdom of crowds effect. The mean of a large number of guesses in a 'guess the number of sweets in a jar' is supposedly very accurate (iirc)

tbh if thats all they looked at then it seems to be strongly biased towards recent media 'hot button' topics.
Reply 9
*BREAKING NEWS!*

The average member of the public is an uninformed idiot!

Now back to other stories that people have been aware of for a long time.
official estimates based on what?

guesswork to be politically correct?
Reply 11
Original post by Joinedup
in some set ups you get a wisdom of crowds effect. The mean of a large number of guesses in a 'guess the number of sweets in a jar' is supposedly very accurate (iirc)

tbh if thats all they looked at then it seems to be strongly biased towards recent media 'hot button' topics.

I'd like a distribution curve (or at least a histogram) of what percentage of benefits was believed to be fraudulently claimed, as well as the question that was asked (and other material and questions that were asked alongside it), not just one number we're not told the method of calculation of. The article's just as bad as the problem it is claiming exists - in fact, it's part of the problem itself. Does it even link to the survey it's 'quoting'? I couldn't find a link.
Reply 12
Original post by Hopple
I'd like a distribution curve (or at least a histogram) of what percentage of benefits was believed to be fraudulently claimed, as well as the question that was asked (and other material and questions that were asked alongside it), not just one number we're not told the method of calculation of. The article's just as bad as the problem it is claiming exists - in fact, it's part of the problem itself. Does it even link to the survey it's 'quoting'? I couldn't find a link.

Pretty sure it's this one:

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3188/Perceptions-are-not-reality-the-top-10-we-get-wrong.aspx

Questions and full stats are in the PDF.

Isn't it interesting how the misinformation mostly surrounds targets favoured by the right-wing media.
I'm duly impressed by those stats! I'm not surprised one bit.
Reply 14
Original post by The_Duck
Wonder how many of these are DM readers...

Probably the statistical average.
Reply 15
Original post by creak
Pretty sure it's this one:

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3188/Perceptions-are-not-reality-the-top-10-we-get-wrong.aspx

Questions and full stats are in the PDF.

Isn't it interesting how the misinformation mostly surrounds targets favoured by the right-wing media.

Yeah, must be the one. I don't think the blame can be placed just on right-wing media though, and a good example is how this story is told in the Independent. Besides, with only 27% of people getting the benefit fraud (sticking with this example, but it's true for others) question right, that can't be 73% of people getting it wrong because they read right wing press. Whilst it's pretty evident that right wing press will inflate figures or give an impression of things being worse than they are, there's shoddy journalism all over the place - just because politicians don't cite studies properly in speeches due to practical reasons doesn't mean that a written article can get away with the same thing.
Basically the general public are being fed horse**** lies. That's probably part of where they get their bull**** beliefs.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending