The Student Room Group

Working hours whilst doing an access course

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I had a major career change the same time that I started my access course, which was better for my future but worse for my finances. I work 15 hours a week as a teaching assistant, and because I can no longer afford the fuel to drive to college, have a 4 hour round trip on the busy college bus just to get there :frown: I am really busy, and on my college days I feel like I barely have time to eat except in class lol, but I enjoy it. I'm performing the best in my class so far, but if you want to do well you have to put in the hours. You have to start your assignments when you are given them, put in the extra reading, write your essays/presentations/etc on a continuous basis and not the night before, double check triple check and ask your tutors for advice. The biggest mistake my classmates make is not actually working on assignments seriously until a few days or even a week before. I know each access course is different so I can't speak for all of them but that is my advice haha

Original post by _Vicki_
personally I am doing one right now. 22.5 hours a week support working, 3 days in college, im a mum of a 3 yr old and 1 yr old. I don't drive. My college is a good 30mins away.

I AM STRESSED AS FUDGE. I have great GCSES but apparently I HAVE to take the maths, English and IT core skills which takes up a lot of time (just as much time as biology and psychology put together) IT DOES INVOLVE HOME STUDY... INCLUDING CORE SKILLS. It is not a part-time course.
I feel like im drowning right now, every time I hand in an assignment (2 big ones a week) I am bombarded with another load plus core subjects, plus ucas! Everything is rushed! I get 1 day off with my family a week and I have to spend a decent amount of it studying. No time for distinctions or even merits.

It does all depend, but I am doing the most in my class and I am struggling to keep up and get good grades whilst earning money, running a family home and being a mummy of 2 little ones.

I am considering quitting my job or quitting the course. Ive asked for my hours to be dropped to 15hrs and c how I get on. If u find night shift work (my friend does it and gets all her assignments done in it) its really good money and good use of time.

good luck but please don't under estimate it. I thought it would be pretty do-able, not the access course im doing at Exeter college for healthcare nursing. NASTY!!!
ALSO LOOK UP BIOCHEMISTRY... TRY WORK THAT ONE OUT WITHOUT MUCH HELP AND TIME. XXX

I know this was posted a few months ago, but surely because you have children you can get extra financial help? I don't think I've ever heard of a student mum who works as well, or am I just being narrow-minded?! Good for you though, thats awesome how you've kept it up!
Reply 21
I work 3 days or 22.5 hours a week, have a home to run and a little one and am in college 2 days and 1 night. I am getting distinctions but really have to put the work in. Im really lucky that my partner is supportive, I think you need that xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
I am doing my Access course with DLC, so am able to work full-time and do my studying and assignments in the evenings and weekends. It is pretty tiring, but is possible. I'm pushing myself to a tight timeframe so that I can be ready for uni this Sept (offers dependent!), but so far have received all distinctions.

However, everyone is different and you need to treat your studies as a priority to keep towards your dreams. Perhaps try part time work, and adjust your hours if it's too much.
I am doing access teacher training. I have 3.5 days of college, 1 day placement, 1 day job. Plus 3 children, and I'm a councillor and governor. I'd say for myself, the extra work outside of lessons is about 5 hours a week. Some weeks there is no additional work. Other weeks you could have 2/3 assignments in at once so it's harder those weeks. I don't know how I do it, I'm not the brightest person, but by making sure I cover all grade descriptors, I've managed to get distinctions for everything so far (24 credits).
Reply 24
I work 15 hours and get help with rent and council tax . What help can i get when i start level 2 access course and how many days will the course be over how many hours please.... help
I just want to comment on how inspirational this thread is. I admire all of you committing to an Access course and working full time or multiple jobs, and looking after your families. I am starting my Access course next week and this thread has really inspired me. All the unis you apply too would be privileged to have you as students. If any of you have any tips for how you juggle it all - it would be much appreciated. I'm determined to succeed on my course and still be able to juggle everything at the same time. Kudos to you all!
Reply 26
I go to College 3 days a week for an access course 09:30 - 15:00. I then work evenings on average 6 days 16:00 - 23:00. Its not too bad, you cant really do anything on the days you have work and college, but the rest is free until work time which is enough.
Reply 27
Thank you that was helpful for me . Its hard single living alone and wanting to study and having to find work around college
Anyone doing this course that failed GCSEs? I'm worried I won't be capable of course if I previously failed at achool😓

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've found out that I may have to attend college for five days per week on top of working two days on the weekend. I feel like I've made a mistake, because I was not aware that having to attend for five days was even an option.

I pay for a fairly long and expensive commute to the college, and I feel like I've made a mistake...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending