The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 1
vitukillo
I have just received accomodation stuff and I definetely want catered accomodation. Does anyone knows how does it work? Do they provide breakfeast lunch and dinner? I just want to know if its worth going for it or not. what do you think?

they also mention that there will be noise due to the southside hall been refurbished..

the only meal provided is in the evening Monday to Friday during term time. Rest of time you have to fend for yourself
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
so basically if you're going for that option because you can't cook it still means that you're gonna have to anyway...or alternatively spend more money on market food =/
Reply 3
vitukillo

they also mention that there will be noise due to the southside hall been refurbished..

i just got my accommodation form (yeah, really late!).
I'm thinking of staying in Linstead Hall too... but I was also a little concern about Southside hall being refurbished.
Would appreciate if anyone could answer some of my questions!
Roughly how far apart are the 2 halls? Are they connected to each other or quite far apart?
And how long will they be renovating for? the whole year or just a few months?
Reply 4
mml
i just got my accommodation form (yeah, really late!).
I'm thinking of staying in Linstead Hall too... but I was also a little concern about Southside hall being refurbished.
Would appreciate if anyone could answer some of my questions!
Roughly how far apart are the 2 halls? Are they connected to each other or quite far apart?
And how long will they be renovating for? the whole year or just a few months?

Well when they both stood the distance between them was the width of a road, Now southsides demolished the building site hoardings go right up to Linstead.
When they say renovation and refurbishment in the case of Southside they mean a totally new building is being built on the site of the old one, not just new carpet and paintwork. I expect there will be activity on site for the whole year as it needs to be finished for Oct 2007 intake.
Reply 5
ok, thank you!
Reply 6
I stayed in linstead hall, the proximity to the college is really helpful, and I believe it is no longer catered... think the dining room was turned into a bar.
Reply 7
Appanouki
I stayed in linstead hall, the proximity to the college is really helpful, and I believe it is no longer catered... think the dining room was turned into a bar.

it is still catered, but you have to walk out 5 mins.
Reply 8
oh they are eating at the central imperial place now? atleast they get decent food i suppose lol.
Reply 9
it's not worth getting catered accomodation because only 5 meals per week are provided, and you cannot have any flexibility over when and what you want to eat, as there is a set meal time. So you would have to miss society meetings etc for dinner, or else waste money that you spent on catered accom in the first place.
Not to mention the fact that you have to cook for yourself during the other 16 meals of the week in tiny kitchens.
Reply 10
Another disadvantage is that guys from other halls will come in when they can't be arsed to cook anything (of course they need an inside contact), and since there's a limited amount of seats/food, you may miss out.

Please note that I only did this once.
Reply 11
you £$"%(*... i've never done it once and i've been at imperial for over two years now!

*polishes my halo*
i was at linstead last year but i think they are knocking it down...

Latest

Trending

Trending