The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are women not allowed to walk around in just bra's?

Ok so I was walking to the carpark with parents as Id just been shopping with them. I wanted to change my t shirt as Id spilled a bit of fanta on it. I had a jacket in the car so I took my t shirt off ready (I had a bra on, wouldnt care but Im near flat chested anyway!). My mum was like 'katie, put a t shirt on!' I said I am doing. She said you'l get done for indecent exposure expecially at your age (late twenties).

The thing is all the men were walking around topless and even girls wear crop tops/bikini's what not. I wasnt showing anything classed as private.

I don't really know the law on this though never looked it up, are women not supposed to walk around in bra's by law? Ive never even thought about it before.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, your mother was just overreacting.
Reply 2
we're going to need to see some pictures..
It's fine.
Reply 4
Original post by thelion0
we're going to need to see some pictures..

well theres nothing to see im flat chested.

Thats another point what if the woman is flat chested anyway lol!
Original post by inthedark1
well theres nothing to see im flat chested.

Thats another point what if the woman is flat chested anyway lol!

And are you happy with that?

Funny thing is men with 'moobs' are allowed to walk around bare-chested!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I think it's just the idea of bras being underwear and you don't show a lot of people your underwear whereas bikinis can be worn in public.

I've done the same though.
The other day I was getting changed in work and was changing my top when my workmates came in and they were like "ohhhh you're in your bra!" etc etc, then we went outside and there were tons of girls in bikini tops but they said nothing.

It's fine but again, just the idea of underwear being private that has been drilled into our minds.

Bras cover more than bikinis do nowadays anyway. I'd rather wear my bra out. More comfortable.
Original post by KathTart
I think it's just the idea of bras being underwear and you don't show a lot of people your underwear whereas bikinis can be worn in public.

I've done the same though.
The other day I was getting changed in work and was changing my top when my workmates came in and they were like "ohhhh you're in your bra!" etc etc, then we went outside and there were tons of girls in bikini tops but they said nothing.

It's fine but again, just the idea of underwear being private that has been drilled into our minds.

Bras cover more than bikinis do nowadays anyway. I'd rather wear my bra out. More comfortable.

So bikinis are fine but bras are not :lol:. I really fail to see the logic.
Reply 8
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

Funny thing is men with 'moobs' are allowed to walk around flat-chested!

Im not happy nor unhappy though Id rather have small than big. Exactly all sorts of men walk around.
Reply 9
Like KathTart said above, I think it is just an attitude that is present for bras that isn't there for bikini tops. There is no difference in the law though, and it certainly isn't indecent exposure. 'Indecent exposure' isn't a crime ipso facto anyway - you have to be judged to be in breach of the Public Order Act (1986), which makes it illegal to "harass, alarm or distress" others. In practice however, if you are seen to be topless, expect a police officer to show up and request you to put a top on.
So bikinis are fine but bras are not :lol:. I really fail to see the logic.

Reminds me of this:

335972_492267264122220_1132107534_o.jpg
I wouldn't mind seeing this. Cue angry feminism discussion.
no, its not indecent exposure lol

you can be completely naked without being indecent as long as the intention is not to shock or offend (i.e. flashing an unsuspecting stranger) that's how the get away with public nude art exhibitions and tv shows like embarrassing bodies and the sex show

in new york women are now allowed completely topless legally under equality laws, wont be long before most follow and it becomes common
Reply 13
I would feel a bit weird walking around in just a bra personally, but then I don't really like crop tops etc either. :erm: I think your mum just didn't want everyone seeing your goodies :lol: She was just being protective? :dontknow:
Reply 14
Original post by inthedark1
Ok so I was walking to the carpark with parents as Id just been shopping with them. I wanted to change my t shirt as Id spilled a bit of fanta on it. I had a jacket in the car so I took my t shirt off ready (I had a bra on, wouldnt care but Im near flat chested anyway!). My mum was like 'katie, put a t shirt on!' I said I am doing. She said you'l get done for indecent exposure expecially at your age (late twenties).

The thing is all the men were walking around topless and even girls wear crop tops/bikini's what not. I wasnt showing anything classed as private.

I don't really know the law on this though never looked it up, are women not supposed to walk around in bra's by law? Ive never even thought about it before.

It is people like you who would be screaming indecent exposure if a old man walked around wearing a thong.
Reply 15

Funny thing is men with 'moobs' are allowed to walk around bare-chested!

For me, this is a rather confusing post, I'll state why...

Your username is "boy wonder" so I'm going to assume you're a male, yet you're stating you don't want males to be walking around if they have "moobs", which implies you wouldn't mind so much, if they had more muscular pectoral region? Furthermore implies you're gay? If so, fair enough

But then, if you're gay, you shouldn't be so shallow as to only allow males you find attractive to walk around topless, that's not good morals.

Either way I am disappointed

To OP, if more women did walk around in bras, the world would be a better place.
Reply 16
your mum probably personally found it 'indecent', therefore she made something up about it being law
Reply 17
There is no law (in England and Wales) that says you can't be topless, or even naked. In Scotland I believe it can cause a 'breach of the peace,' I don't know about Northern Ireland.

However, under the Sexual Offences Act 2003 if you intend to cause distress or upset people by being naked then you could be fined or even imprisoned (though I believe this has been taken to only apply if someone actually was distressed).

Under common law, you can be guilty of 'outraging public decency' for just about anything and oddly enough this is perhaps more likely if you are in your underwear than if you are totally naked, since the liberty of total nakedness is implied in the Act but the issue of exposing underwear is still a grey area: in practice, I doubt that a judge would rule a distinction between them.

So you are at legal liberty to strip down so long as you do not intend negatively affecting others. If you're just doing it for yourself, you (probably) have the freedom to be as dressed or undressed as you like. If others find it offensive, sexy, disgusting, distracting, unsocial, that is their problem, not yours.
Reply 18
In all seriousness here

Who would complain about a young female walking around in a bra? Really?
Reply 19
Original post by ssxx

It is people like you who would be screaming indecent exposure if a old man walked around wearing a thong.

How do you know? I see old men in thongs regular.