The Student Room Group

Resolution 2013/05 - A Proposal to Reform the Security Council Elections (Reading 2)

Changes

Preventing extra-electoral seat swapping (a bit redundant given the announcement from TMD, but hey ho).

By election procedure (basically the same, except existing SC reps can't run as this would cause cascade effect).

No one can rep for more than one permanent SC country at a time.

Resolution

For the General Assembly

Part I
The Resolution

China and India,

Concerning the limitless time period representatives can hold their seat for permanent nations of the Security Council,
Expressing a desire to introduce fixed term elections into the Model United Nations Security Council to allow newer members to participate in, and change the nature of what has become an ‘old boy’s club’,
Hoping to introduce an inalienable feature of democracy to the Model United Nations Security Council:

Wish Make the following amendment to Chapter 4 of the MUN Charter:

The Secretary General will manage all elections related to the Security Council, which will have 7 days for manifesto submission, 2 days of Q&A and then 5 days of voting. The word limit for manifestos is 300 words.

should be replaced with:

Elections for the TSR members representing each of the permanent members of the Security Council will take place biannually in accordance with Part II of Resolution 2013/5. Security Council representatives may only be chosen through the biannual elections or a by election. Extra electoral seat swapping is not allowed. Likewise, no member may represent more than one permanent member of the Security Council at any given time.

Elections for the countries occupying the two non-permanent seats will be managed by the Secretary General. There will be 7 days for manifesto submission, 2 days of Q&A and then 5 days of voting. The word limit for manifestos is 300 words.

Part II
Security Council Elections

For the purposes of this document:

'Representative' is a TSR member who plays the part of a given country within the MUN.

'Currently' and 'old' mean before the election.

'New' means after the election.

A 'candidate' is anyone running for election who does not already hold the seat they are running for.

An 'incumbent Representative' is anyone who currently holds an SC seat.

A 'defender' is anyone who is an incumbent Representative who has not forfeited or waived their right to defend their seat.

Elections for Representatives for the six permanent seats of the Security Council ('SC seats') will take place biannually.

There will be an election during the month of February, and the month of August.

Incumbent Representatives have to right to defend their position for an indefinite number of terms.

Anyone may run for election, provided they already hold at least one seat in the General Assembly (GA). The following caveats apply:

If a candidate does not already hold an SC seat, and holds a single non-SC seat, they will give up their old seat if they win the election. If they lose, they may return to their old seat.

If a candidate does not already hold an SC seat, and holds two non-SC seats, they will give up one of their old seats if they win the election. If they lose, they may return to all of their old seats.

If a candidate already holds an SC seat, he/she gives up their current SC seat, regardless of the outcome of the election. They may keep any non-SC seat which they represent in addition to their SC seat.

By extension, a candidate already holding an SC seat forfeits the aforementioned right to defend his/her current SC seat for this election round.

If there are no candidates for a particular SC seat, then the incumbent Representative cannot run for election for a different seat. They must remain in their current seat, or resign their position (thereby calling a by-election).

The election period will last 2 weeks, and shall be organised as follows:

Period 1 (1st to 5th): The election period automatically begins on the first of February and of August. From this day, candidates have 5 days in which to submit their manifestos to the Secretary General (SG). Incumbent Representatives must also submit a manifesto, or else they waive the right to defend their seat.

Period 2 (6th to 7th): On the 6th day, the SG will post the manifestos. A two day period of debate and discussion follows, including Question and Answer sessions with the candidates/defenders.

Period 3 (8th to 14th): Polling week. All Representatives in the GA have seven days in which they can cast one vote, regardless of the number of countries/organisations they represent. Candidates and defenders may also vote.

Period 4 (15th to 16th): On the 15th, the SG will post the result of the elections. This day and the following day are to be left free, for any potential issues arising from the elections to be resolved. Guidelines for potential outcomes are listed below, in Section 5.

There are four possible outcomes (routes) for each contested seat:

A candidate who currently represents a non-SC country wins a seat in the Security Council. In this case, the outgoing SC Representative will take up the old seat (the seat which was relinquished in accordance with 4.a or 4.b) of the incoming SC Representative.

A candidate who currently represents an SC country wins the right to represent a different SC country. In this case, the outgoing SC Representative exits via route (a) or (b) for the old seat of the SC Representative who is switching SC seats.

A candidate who currently represents an SC country fails to win the right to represent a different SC country. In this case, the candidate leaves their old SC seat via route (a) or (b). The candidate must leave their old SC seat.

The defender successfully defends his/her position. In this case, failed candidates return to their old seats.

By elections:

A by election may be called at any time by a majority of 66% or more in a resolution tabled before the General Assembly.

By elections follow the same procedure as standard elections, except candidates must not be existing Security Council representatives.

Miscellaneous:

To prevent unnecessary confusion; during the election period, no seat-swapping may occur, without prejudice to prior points.

New MUN members who join during the election period may take up one currently empty seat. They may apply for dual representation/seat-swapping after the election period.

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why the new thread?

Still a big fat NO from me
New changes. Would members prefer the elections to be twice or once a year?
Reply 3
Original post by Cheese_Monster
New changes. Would members prefer the elections to be twice or once a year?

How about elections when people resign or permanently banned etc

I can see the affect of this Resolution, incumbents being booted out when they do a lot
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Morgsie
How about elections when people resign or permanently banned etc

I can see the affect of this Resolution, incumbents being booted out when they do a lot

That is the current arrangement. No it won't. Please read the resolution and my responses to cl_steele in the other thread. Incumbents can re-stand for the SC seat they represent, indefinitely. Meaning, they'll only get booted out if they choose not to stand again. And its a presumption to think that just because people are SC reps, that they are productive.
Reply 5
That is the current arrangement. No it won't. Please read the resolution and my responses to cl_steele in the other thread. Incumbents can re-stand for the SC seat they represent, indefinitely. Meaning, they'll only get booted out if they choose not to stand again. And its a presumption to think that just because people are SC reps, that they are productive.

Actually the potential is there for incumbents to get voted out even though they are pretty good, how would you feel if this happened to you if this goes through? Mad probably so why are you imposing this on the rest of us
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Morgsie
Actually the potential is there for incumbents to get voted out even though they are pretty good, how would you feel if this happened to you if this goes through? Mad probably so why are you imposing this on the rest of us

Unlike you who has a proven contempt for democracy, I would stand aside graciously if I lost an election. But the point of this resolution is that I trust MUN members to reward consistently active members, and boot out those who contribute nothing. It acts as a measure of accountability and as a quality filter. It's not an imposition, it's a resolution, it goes to a vote.
Reply 7
i stand by my distain for this resolution... i liked the status quo, fair enogh if you boot an inactive member out or they get themselves tossed out like our good old frenchy did but running a constant stream of elections is probably just going to kill the mun via sheer boredom...
Reply 8
I support this resolution it'll hold people to account if they're not doing a good enough job and reward those that are doing a good job as they should in theory keep their seat.
Reply 9
Fully support this yes. I think 6 monthly elections is a good balance. Enough time to give the council the ability to work and get stuff done. But also short enough to hold poorly performing SC Reps to account in an election.

If an SC Member is active and performs well then I would be more than happy to support them for re-election. I don't think Morgsie's point is a worry because people who perform will be rewarded by keeping their seat.

[Just one question with the amendment for the second reading: "Preventing extra-electoral seat swapping". I take it that means SC seats. Ordinary non-SC members can still swap right?]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
This would fundamentally alter the principle of the Permanent members and would deviate from a core principle of the UNSC. The great powers being permanent etc, that argument.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Morgsie
This would fundamentally alter the principle of the Permanent members and would deviate from a core principle of the UNSC. The great powers being permanent etc, that argument.

I am of the opinion that just because that's the way the UN was originally set up it doesn't mean it is correct. The UN was created by the powerful states and so it is logical that they gave themselves permanent positions. The least we can do to make it fairer is pass this resolution.
Original post by Morgsie

No it doesn't. We're changing the representative not the nation. The UNSC core principle of permanence applies to the nations themselves, the ambassadors to the UNSC are not permanent.
Reply 13
No it doesn't. We're changing the representative not the nation. The UNSC core principle of permanence applies to the nations themselves, the ambassadors to the UNSC are not permanent.

I have studied the UN you know and replacing Ambassadors lies with the Government's
Original post by Morgsie
I have studied UFOs you know and replacing Ambassadors lies with the Government's

And that concurs with what I just said.
Reply 15
Original post by Morgsie
I have studied the UN you know and replacing Ambassadors lies with the Government's

Which is what this entire proposal is about.
Reply 16
Original post by Republic1
[Just one question with the amendment for the second reading: "Preventing extra-electoral seat swapping". I take it that means SC seats. Ordinary non-SC members can still swap right?]

Yea, SC only :smile:. The charter modification is to Chapter 4, which only applies to the SC.
Reply 17
Original post by Morgsie

Tbh Morgsie, I don't know where you're getting this from. Fudementally altering the principle of the permanent members would involve holding elections for countries, rather than just their reps. This whole thing is to be done entirely out of character, as a way of ensuring that the MUN community feels that the right people are doing the most important jobs and holding the most powerful seats.
Reply 18
The comments of frequent elections for everything will be election overload and may cause fatigue. Also people will take a look and not bother joining
Original post by Morgsie
The comments of frequent elections for everything will be election overload and may cause fatigue. Also people will take a look and not bother joining

Two sets of elections a year will cause fatigue? How do you know what new members think? You can't honestly speak for every new potential member.

Latest

Trending

Trending