The Student Room Group

Doing an OU course at the same time as a degree?

I'm about to start my second year at uni doing a zoology degree, I wanted to know if you think it's feasible to do a 60 credit 1 year long open university course at the same time (k101 is the specific course).

I don't want to put too much pressure on myself.. but yeah.
No.

Concentrate on the Zoology course..
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
No.

Concentrate on the Zoology course..

Problem is I want to be a midwife - hence wanting to do the open uni course. My mum really doesn't want me to leave Uni, but the Uni's I want to go to need me to either do an Access Course or a OU 60 credit module to be considered as my A-Levels aren't good enough.
Reply 3
Can I ask how this came about? You've done one year of university, reading Zoology, but you want to read Midwifery - so you're already planning a second Bachelor's degree, which you would gain entry for by taking an OU module?
Reply 4
Original post by Clip
Can I ask how this came about? You've done one year of university, reading Zoology, but you want to read Midwifery - so you're already planning a second Bachelor's degree, which you would gain entry for by taking an OU module?

Basically, I want to study Midwifery, but last year I wasn't 100% sure about it, and I didn't have grades I needed, so I went with Zoology (which I thought I was interested in). I haven't been enjoying my Zoology degree, feeling really unmotivated by it and I feel so desperate and passionate about Midwifery I really want to get into Uni to study it.

I've rang up Kings, Manchester & Cardiff (many times) and they all have given me different advice.

Kings & Cardiff said that I'd met the minimum requirements because I've passed my first year of Zoology, however because it's so competitive, I asked what would make me stand out and they suggested the OU K101 Course - (they said I wouldn't need an Access Course as I've already done a first year of Uni and do have A-Levels).

Manchester initially said I would need the Access Course but upon ringing today they also said they'd accept the K101 Course at OU.

Mum really doesn't want me to drop out of Uni, she thinks I'll regret it if next year I don't get into Midwifery having done the OU Course - so I wondered if it would possible to do the two - continue with my second year of Uni, but also complete the OU Course and apply for Midwifery in 2014.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I think you are quite mad conflicted, and in danger of falling between two stools.

I get that your mum doesn't want you to leave university - but if you don't leave now, it would be even worse to leave in your third year, having been supported - or even to end up with a half-hearted degree that you aren't really into.

I think you should make absolutely sure this is what you want to do before you end up having either a degree you don't want (and possibly a rubbish grade) or no degree and no midwifery.

My advice would be to contact your current university asap and ask if you can suspend for a year. Then, take a year to do either your access course or OU course - plus work like a lunatic to try and get work experience to be sure you really are into it. Then, if it is what you want, and you can get on a course - you can start all over again doing midwifery. If you change your mind, or can't get on a course - you can carry on where you left off with Zoology.

Of course, the essential thing is that your parent(s) are on board with this, and I suggest you go through a long discussion and listen to what they have to say about it. If you are going to work during your year off, they might be more receptive. Don't fight them though, and try to be open minded - after all, that's what you're asking of them.
You dont 'read' Midwifery.

Its an NHS job with a student bursary. Its very hard work, involves 12 hour shifts of clearing up vomit and dealing with unreasonable upset people at midnight when you are knackered - yes, as a student. It is not a breezy 3 years at University.

Do you have any experience of working in a health care setting?
Reply 7
Original post by Clip
I think you are quite mad conflicted, and in danger of falling between two stools.

I get that your mum doesn't want you to leave university - but if you don't leave now, it would be even worse to leave in your third year, having been supported - or even to end up with a half-hearted degree that you aren't really into.

I think you should make absolutely sure this is what you want to do before you end up having either a degree you don't want (and possibly a rubbish grade) or no degree and no midwifery.

My advice would be to contact your current university asap and ask if you can suspend for a year. Then, take a year to do either your access course or OU course - plus work like a lunatic to try and get work experience to be sure you really are into it. Then, if it is what you want, and you can get on a course - you can start all over again doing midwifery. If you change your mind, or can't get on a course - you can carry on where you left off with Zoology.

Of course, the essential thing is that your parent(s) are on board with this, and I suggest you go through a long discussion and listen to what they have to say about it. If you are going to work during your year off, they might be more receptive. Don't fight them though, and try to be open minded - after all, that's what you're asking of them.

Oh, I definitely feel conflicted. I'm getting really frustrated as obviously I want to do the best thing for myself but my mind is whirring round with different advice.

I've contacted a friend who's a midwife who I'm hopefully going to shadow at some point. I've got another friend who's a midwife I'm going to contact and ask to do the same with. I'm also going to visit a Neonatal Nurse at UCL Hospital, who said I can talk to the midwives there. And I'm going to look to do some work experience/ volunteering in my local hospital, along with contact local antenatal/ breastfeeding groups.

I feel my parents aren't on board which is the issue - and I understand why, like you said, they don't want me to end up not getting onto the Midwifery degree, but also not being on My Zoology degree. Thank you for your advice though.

You dont 'read' Midwifery.

Its an NHS job with a student bursary. Its very hard work, involves 12 hour shifts of clearing up vomit and dealing with unreasonable upset people at midnight when you are knackered - yes, as a student. It is not a breezy 3 years at University.

Do you have any experience of working in a health care setting?

Oh, I understand this. I've never thought Midwifery is anything but a hard, stressful job with long hours, I really appreciated having a conversation with my friend who's a midwife as she kind of told me exactly what the job entailed.

I don't have any experience which is why I'm really trying to get some as I've said above.
Original post by Clip

I agree, although suspending for a year rather than leaving altogether that would likely make the OP ineligible for a student loan to cover the cost of the OU course.

OP, if you are dead-set on midwifery it makes no sense to continue with your currant degree. If you have passed your first year and you decide to leave then you should get a CertHE in Zoology (check with your university). Be aware that if you do decide to do the OU course you will have to be registered for an OU qualification (DipHE or a degree) in order to get a loan to cover the cost.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Samual
I agree, although suspending for a year rather than leaving altogether that would likely make the OP ineligible for a student loan to cover the cost of the OU course.

OP, if you are dead-set on midwifery it makes no sense to continue with your currant degree. If you have passed your first year and you decide to leave then you should get a CertHE in Zoology (check with your university). Be aware that if you do decide to do the OU course you will have to be registered for an OU qualification (DipHE or a degree) in order to get a loan to cover the cost.

Thank you - I'm going to think long and hard about making my final decision, but ultimately, I feel you're all right, I just need to have the confidence to be honest with my mum and show her that if I do leave that I'll be making the most of the next year, giving my all to getting into midwifery, doing well in my OU course and getting as much experience as possible.

I think possibly, one of my issues is I'm scared of making a wrong decision, and I think my mum can see that, but I'm 20 now so it's up to me to make the decision and do what's best. It's something I need to do anyway as I know to be a good midwife, you need to make quick decisions sometimes, not hang around wondering what's best over and over.

I've emailed my current Uni and asked for a certificate, and they've sent me a doc with all my grades etc, but they didn't seem to understand what I meant when I asked for a certificate of Higher Education for my first year. I think that's what they might have given me anyway, but it seemed odd they didn't understand what I was asking for.
You need to actually check that your University offers this Cert option - many dont.

If they do, you need to formally resign your place as a student to 'exit' and then be eligible for that qualification.
Reply 11
You need to actually check that your University offers this Cert option - many dont.

If they do, you need to formally resign your place as a student to 'exit' and then be eligible for that qualification.

I think my Uni does: http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ll/how_work.php.en

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending