The Student Room Group

Changing course from Maths to Maths and Philosophy

I currently finished my first year at University doing maths and just feel sort of unhappy with the course, dont get me wrong I still want to do maths but I'd rather do it as a joint honours with philosophy. I had a wrong impression of what Maths would be like at Uni, I thought it would be more based on learning about past mathematicians and the history of maths (dont ask me why) I've looked through the Philosophy modules I'd end up doing and they all seem very interesting and I'd also get to do a dissertation!

It's not that I'm not enjoying the course or that I don't think I'd do well in it but it's more to do with me not seeing myself enjoying the course as much as I'd enjoy the other.

I just dont know if it'll be worth wasting 9 grand and redoing the year as a joint honours degree :l
If you dont enjoy Maths at Uni level, why are you thinking of doing a joint subject course? Is this because you think that way you wont have to repeat a First year?
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
If you dont enjoy Maths at Uni level, why are you thinking of doing a joint subject course? Is this because you think that way you wont have to repeat a First year?

Oh no, If I do get into the joint course, I'd actually want to do first year again. I just thought the Maths course would be different and what I initially wanted is what Maths and Philosophy is. I do enjoy Maths at Uni but the amount of just Maths is what I'm having difficulties with. Maths is what I've always wanted to do and I need it for what I want to do in the future as well. I just feel that I'd enjoy Maths and Philosophy more then just straight Maths.

Quick Reply