The Student Room Group

"Allergic to black people, don't come in"

A cafe owner has put up a sign telling customers she is black because she is fed up with people walking out when they see the colour of her skin.

The sign on the door of Yeanon Cafe in Ossett, West Yorkshire, reads: "I am a black woman... If you are allergic to black people, don't come in."

Martha-Renee Kolleh said some people "take a look at me and walk out".

Local councillor Tony Richardson said he was "shocked" as he did not believe racism was widespread in the town. A spokesman for Wakefield Council said it was "obviously concerned" by the issue which it had not been made aware of before.

"I would urge the business involved to get in touch with us as soon as possible," the spokesman added.

Ms Kolleh said the reaction to the sign, which adds that the cafe serves "quality wholesome meals", had been mixed.

"Some people find it amusing, they were laughing and said 'oh yes it's about time you put that up', so I think they all realise what's going on here," she said.

"And some others just read it and walk away. I've heard one or two swear words as well regarding the notice."

The single mother-of-three has run the cafe for two years, serving a mixture of British, African and Caribbean food. Ms Kolleh told BBC Radio Leeds a lot of people in Ossett had supported her, but if business did not improve she would have to close by autumn.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-23248503

I think she is a moron to have not considered the possibility that someone might just not like her café? I mean, I sometimes walk into places like a pub or shop and take two looks and walk out. Does that mean I'm racist? Of course it doesn't. And how the hell could she infer from someone walking in and out that they're racist?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

She's a moron. She has no proof people are walking out because she's black. Maybe she's scruffy. Maybe her cafe is scruffy and stinks. Maybe the prices are too high. Maybe she has a face like a slapped arse. The reasons are endless.

I thought the BBC were better than this.
Reply 2
Original post by Kiss

I think she is a moron to have not considered the possibility that someone might just not like her café? I mean, I sometimes walk into places like a pub or shop and take two looks and walk out. Does that mean I'm racist? Of course it doesn't. And how the hell could she infer from someone walking in and out that they're racist?

This. Why would a racist walk into an African-Caribbean restaraunt anyway?
Reply 3
Could be a publicity stunt.
Original post by Kiss

This:confused: and then :eek: and finally:facepalm:.
Reply 5
Original post by Clip
Could be a publicity stunt.

Yeah I'm starting to think she just wanted more business and this was a good way to get it.
Reply 6
I often go into a shop or an eating establishment thinking that it's a good idea, until I see the menu and realise that I will have to part with cash in the process, making me involuntarily flee..

I'm scared that this makes me racist, what do?
Reply 7
Original post by Algorithm69
She's a moron. She has no proof people are walking out because she's black. Maybe she's scruffy. Maybe her cafe is scruffy and stinks. Maybe the prices are too high. Maybe she has a face like a slapped arse. The reasons are endless.

I thought the BBC were better than this.

Can you read? She does have a reasons!

When her white employee works in the front, people do not walk out.
And some customers told her they know about this.
Reply 8
Just because someone walks out they must be racist. Rule out the possibility that maybe the person doesn't like the café, or perhaps the menu.

Brilliant logic.
(edited 10 years ago)
if business did not improve she would have to close by autumn

And now her business is making national headlines. She's not a moron, she's a marketing genius.
Reply 10
Original post by ssxx

That doesn't prove anything.

Original post by doggyfizzel
And now her business is making national headlines. She's not a moron, she's a marketing genius.

For accusations if she does genuinely believe that, if not she's one crafty mother****er.
She thinks racism is that bad in Orsett? ok.

Some people will either take it as comedic and continue to eat there and others will see it as entitled and stop eating there. I think it's a pretty pointless thing to put up. I've walked in and out of a number of places just because I've decided I don't want to eat there. If the word black was changed with white there'd be an absolute ****storm about it.
Reply 12
Original post by doggyfizzel

Well, initially true. But I hardly think people are going to go out of their way to visit this café just to see this sign/ woman, and personally I expect her business to do much worse with an intimidating sign like that in the front window.
Reply 13
Original post by Kiss
That doesn't prove anything.

For accusations if she does genuinely believe that, if not she's one crafty mother****er.

"I hired a white woman called Tracey. When Tracey is in the cafe she does well and people will come in and it will be full, once I stay in the background.
"But if Tracey is not working and I'm working nobody comes in."

That is a smoking gun!
Reply 14
Just want to point out that while it isn't uncommon to walk out (I personally have like hardly ever done this, don't most places have menus outside so you can check) there is a difference to just walking out and walking out after seeing the owner. So people calling her a moron for not realizing that people walk out of restaurants, well maybe by that logic...
Reply 15
"I hired a white woman called Tracey. When Tracey is in the cafe she does well and people will come in and it will be full, once I stay in the background.

That is a smoking gun!

I doubt she's done any kind of statistical analysis on it. Additionally, Tracey may be more attractive, smile more, keep the shop cleaner, only work on sunday lunchtimes, etc., all of which would affect the custom.
Reply 16
Original post by ssxx

Original post by Kiss

I have been in this café when I visited a uni friend. I walked in, looked at the counter thinking it might be something new to try and the owner came round to serve me. I offered a polite thank you and left. There was a good reason I left. I did not leave because she was black I left because the food smelt and looked awful. I saw a cat walk out of the kitchen which made me think what work surfaces could that cat have been on? Why is there a cat wondering free in a café? This lady is delusional if A)she thinks that there is a huge demand for an exceptionally strange blend of English and Caribbean food in a small town in Yorkshire, and B) if she thinks that her food is in anyway appetising. The fact that her local labour councillor jumped on this declaring that they would not tolerate racism in the town demonstrates an appalling level of stupidity and band-wagoning.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Anecdotal evidence as it may be, she does provide evidence which backs up her assertion, it's not as one-sided as some in this thread make it out to be.
Reply 18
This is offensive because it is not just a moron holding a moronic opinion, but a moron telling non-morons that said non-morons hold a moronic worldview, and, as such, are morons, which is reprehensible. She needs to get over her skin-colour; everybody else has.

She's had her 15 minutes - Next!
Original post by ssxx

That is a smoking gun!

I write in red to stand out and look cool.

Latest

Trending

Trending