The Student Room Group

Epilepsy and mitigating circumstances

Hi everyone,

I have just finished my third (and final year) studying law and have also just been diagnosed with epilepsy. My issue is that I believe my third year exams have been significantly affected by my epilepsy (as does my neurologist) and I am now trying to have extenuating circumstances retrospectively submitted.

So I was wondering whether anyone here has had any similar experiences either with epilepsy or any disability; and what the university's reaction has been. At the moment, I really feel as though my university just won't believe that it has had an impact... I almost feel as if they think I'm making it up. :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by emmalouise14
Hi everyone,

I have just finished my third (and final year) studying law and have also just been diagnosed with epilepsy. My issue is that I believe my third year exams have been significantly affected by my epilepsy (as does my neurologist) and I am now trying to have extenuating circumstances retrospectively submitted.

So I was wondering whether anyone here has had any similar experiences either with epilepsy or any disability; and what the university's reaction has been. At the moment, I really feel as though my university just won't believe that it has had an impact... I almost feel as if they think I'm making it up. :frown:

Normally in my experience they are perfectly fair and understanding when medical evidence is provided, though some universities (or even staff in the same university) can differ.

Have they actually said or done anything specific that's made you think this?
Reply 2
Original post by emmalouise14
Hi everyone,

Firstly :hugs:

Secondly a few things:
- Have a look at www.epilepsyaction.org they're very helpful especially if you've just be diagnosed
- Universities do actually look quite favourably on mitigating circumstances. However, it must have been unpredictable if I remember rightly
- Epilepsy is specifically named in the Disability Discriminations Act, so they have to be careful and fair
- Talk to your University Disability Support Office (or whatever the equivalent is). Your personal tutor should be able to point you in the right direction if you aren't sure. They deal with this stuff daily.

All you really need is a letter from your Neurologist outlining your condition, and how they believe it has affected your studies.

You are also able to register as a Disabled Student and are eligible for financial and academic assistance such as extra time in examinations, a computer, expenses (depending on financial situation) etc, free prescriptions if you get onto the NHS sharpish (again, epilepsyaction.org are good to explain all this).

Your University won't and can't think Epilepsy is just 'made up,' especially if it's diagnosed by a Neurologist whose care you are under and is attempting to titrate a drug and dose to give you stability.
Reply 3
Was there any documentation in your medical notes (you won't need a diagnosis - your symptoms and how you were affected at the time should be enough) at the time when you were struggling with your studies due to epilepsy?

Quick Reply

Latest