The Student Room Group

JSA between 6th form and uni

I've handed my leaving form into sixth form so I think I've officially left now. Although it was only a college form, making sure that you've handed your textbooks and library books back and not something national that everyone fills in, so I don't know if I still count as being enrolled !?!?!?!? I have no more lessons or exams and am thus, available for full time work. I've applied for a few jobs as I do want one this summer, but nothing's turned up.

My mum wants me to try and claim JSA though! My family isn't poor, both my parents have stable jobs although my mum doesn't get paid that much. I don't particularly want to though, as it doesn't seem morally right and would count myself as a scrounger (as I can manage without this money, plus I would find it embarassing). But it's not as if my parents are asking me for rent and this is the only way of giving it them. My dad wouldn't even accept rent off me and he's the one who pays the mortgage and most the bills, not my mum.

I would be classed as fit to work, but I do have back problems (spina bifida). So knowing my luck I'd be forced to attend loads of job interviews, costing a fortune in bus fairs, for jobs I wouldn't be able to physically do for more than 10 minutes. I am looking for jobs myself, but am choosing jobs I would actually be able to do.

Mum said that I can use the money to pay for my driving lessons ! which is not what JSA is designed for ! But both my parents and my nan are giving me money to pay for my lessons and test and I do have a couple of thousand pounds in savings, which I can dip into, to pay for the rest.

What can I say to her? I'm not quite sure what my dad would say if he knew mum had suggested this.

What I'm hoping for is that I'm not actually able to claim it, because then she can't make me. Like I said, I've finished sixth form, I'm 19 and available for full time work. But am I still technically enrolled at that sixth form until results day or something ?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There must be a reason why you can't, otherwise everyone would do it.
No I am pretty sure you can apply.
Reply 3
Original post by james22

its considered fraud as jsa is designed for people looking for full time work really not a quick buck between uni and college and since theyd only be signed on for a couple of months they consider it useless.
Reply 4
Your mum is still getting child benefit for you so you cannot claim JSA
You can just say you are considering going to uni next year but havent made up your mind.
You can claim JSA between Sixth Form and Uni - I did. And it's entirely possible for you to be looking for full time work - it's just that with your condition and lack of experience you've been struggling to find employment that will be suitable :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by james22

That's what I was thinking.

Original post by TenOfThem

I didn't think she was anymore. I'm 20 in September ... Maybe she is ...

Original post by cl_steele
its considered fraud as jsa is designed for people looking for full time work really not a quick buck between uni and college and since theyd only be signed on for a couple of months they consider it useless.

That's what I was thinking. I am available for full time work, but only for another two months.

Original post by MedicineMann
You can just say you are considering going to uni next year but havent made up your mind.

I'd rather not lie to them, like I said, I don't particluarly want to claim it as it doesn't seem right.

Original post by Origami Bullets
You can claim JSA between Sixth Form and Uni - I did. And it's entirely possible for you to be looking for full time work - it's just that with your condition and lack of experience you've been struggling to find employment that will be suitable :wink:

Indeed, plus the fact that I live in a rural area where unemployment is high and there aren't many employers.
Original post by anony.mouse

I'd rather not lie to them, like I said, I don't particluarly want to claim it as it doesn't seem right.

The way I see it, they are taking £6000 a year from you when you go to uni, so a couple of hundred pounds to get you through the holidays doesn't seem too bad a deal for them.
Reply 9

Does that mean you can claim in the summer holidays at uni? Or do you still count as being enrolled in that time ?

The way I see it, they are taking £6000 a year from you when you go to uni, so a couple of hundred pounds to get you through the holidays doesn't seem too bad a deal for them.

But it's not all coming from the same pot of money is it? I thought the people who sort out the student loans is a private company.

But it's not all coming from the same pot of money is it? I thought the people who sort out the student loans is a private company.

The government have removed large amounts of higher education subsidies, that is the only reason fees have shot up.
Reply 11
Original post by james22

don't think there is, its probably just because people simply choose not to

for only 2-3 months, for a measly ~£30 a week, is it worth the all the paper work and effort? you might as well actually go look for a job, it'll probably pay you more and you would have something on your CV

also, theres a social stigma attached with being on benefits, so that puts people off as well
(edited 10 years ago)
Does that mean you can claim in the summer holidays at uni? Or do you still count as being enrolled in that time ? .

No, because you still count as being enrolled then, and SF us meant to last over the summer too. Between school and uni, you've left one institution but not started at the other, so you're not counted as bring in education

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

She is right! My mum went mental when I tried to do it because they remove child benefit in an instance but take 4 weeks to give it back. It doesn't matter that you are turning 20 - child benefits is for those aged 19 or under in full time education.

You can apply for JSA but talk to your parents because the government are like a dog with a bone when it comes to their money. If they do recieve child benefits and get tax credits accordingly and then you go and get JSA, and they don't declare the change and the government are a bit late to notice, they could be done with fraud (if things get that extreme) or be asked to pay all the money they took or should have paid (all in one go might I add).

So be careful.
Reply 14

You are paying for a service aka university education and it is subsidised. They are not 'taking' money off you.
Reply 15

Original post by randomd_love
She is right! My mum went mental when I tried to do it because they remove child benefit in an instance but take 4 weeks to give it back. It doesn't matter that you are turning 20 - child benefits is for those aged 19 or under in full time education.

You can apply for JSA but talk to your parents because the government are like a dog with a bone when it comes to their money. If they do recieve child benefits and get tax credits accordingly and then you go and get JSA, and they don't declare the change and the government are a bit late to notice, they could be done with fraud (if things get that extreme) or be asked to pay all the money they took or should have paid (all in one go might I add).

So be careful.

I asked my mum and she said she wasn't getting child tax credits anymore because of how much my parents now earn.
I asked my mum and she said she wasn't getting child tax credits anymore because of how much my parents now earn.

That is different to child benefit which everyone gets
Reply 17

oops, my bad, I had only just gotten up when I cam on here, so I wasn't fully awake and got them mixed up.

Not any more they don't, it's now means tested - I think it's that if one parent is in the 40% tax band they're no longer eligible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not any more they don't, it's now means tested - I think it's that if one parent is in the 40% tax band they're no longer eligible

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is not true for parents of students who have just finished year 13

They have not lost it and it will continue until the August payment as usual

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending