The Student Room Group

To those who don't want kids...

I have a question for you and for others in this thread who say they definitely don't want kids...

Do you ever worry about when you are older, say 50+, and you don't have kids? Do you ever wonder what it will feel like then? Do you ever worry about family events to come, such as Christmas, when you have no kids to spend time with?

I hope my questions make sense.

Don't worry, I am not trying to impose my opinions. I am just curious - I don't know if I want kids and sometimes I think what if? If I had no kids what would I do when I am middle-aged or old? I am very career-orientated as opposed to family-orientated.

Scroll to see replies

In a nutshell: no. I don't think I'll miss out by not having kids.
Original post by sherlockfan

How come?
Reply 3
Original post by Dee Leigh
I have a question for you and for others in this thread who say they definitely don't want kids...

Do you ever worry about when you are older, say 50+, and you don't have kids? Do you ever wonder what it will feel like then? Do you ever worry about family events to come, such as Christmas, when you have no kids to spend time with?

I hope my questions make sense.

Don't worry, I am not trying to impose my opinions. I am just curious - I don't know if I want kids and sometimes I think what if? If I had no kids what would I do when I am middle-aged or old? I am very career-orientated as opposed to family-orientated.

Buy a yacht and sail around the world.
I don't want kids because I hate small children, especially the arrogant cocky and rude ones (which seems to me to be a lot of them).

So why would I feel bad about not spending my time with children? It will make my life more fun and enjoyable

And if you are speaking about when they are in their 20s or something, then firstly we are different generations so see things differently and also, I would make friends with like-minded people who do not have kids (or some that do, I'm not judgmental) and spend holidays with them
Original post by Blake-inator
I don't want kids because I hate small children, especially the arrogant cocky and rude ones (which seems to me to be a lot of them).

So why would I feel bad about not spending my time with children? It will make my life more fun and enjoyable

And if you are speaking about when they are in their 20s or something, then firstly we are different generations so see things differently and also, I would make friends with like-minded people who do not have kids (or some that do, I'm not judgmental) and spend holidays with them

Original post by Kiss
Buy a yacht and sail around the world.

Original post by sherlockfan

Do you ever worry that you will have no-one to look after you in old age?

I'm not saying that that's ok, because it's a selfish and stupid reason to have a child.

I'm not saying that that's ok, because it's a selfish and stupid reason to have a child.

I don't want to get to an old age. I'm tired enough of it as it is, and I'm only 16! I think 50 years in total would be enough for me
Reply 7
I love kids (no paedo) but having my own seems like a lot of hassle. Can't be bothered with that. I'll just be the cool uncle.
Reply 8
Imagine though, if you don't have Children, then you're breaking chain that's been going on for 2 billion years. Granted that's not an argument for children, but it's kind of interesting to think about.
Kids are like dogs, I like having dogs around, they are fun, and are a good addition to a family or family event but you don't need to own one, you just need to know somebody who does. If you have a brother or sister with kids, you still spend Christmas with family, you still can do stupid kids things, you can still take them to Alton Towers, you just don't need to pay for them or clear up after them or generally deal with them when you don't want to.

Plus not having kids is the most environmentally friendly thing you can do.
I have plenty of younger sisters and a niece to keep me occupied during family events.

I don't care if I have kids or not tbh. If I meet a girl and she really wants them, I'll have them for her, but otherwise I'll probably not have them. The ideal life is that of a DINK.
You mean no one to come and take you to the care home, and no one to subsequently not remember who they are?
Reply 12
I want kids, you get to bring them up and everything with your partner, it's nice. I think it keeps you more "planted" in the sense that you have more responsibilities and can't just do anything as you have to think about the kids etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by doggyfizzel
Kids are like dogs, I like having dogs around, they are fun, and are a good addition to a family or family event but you don't need to own one, you just need to know somebody who does. If you have a brother or sister with kids, you still spend Christmas with family, you still can do stupid kids things, you can still take them to Alton Towers, you just don't need to pay for them or clear up after them or generally deal with them when you don't want to.

This is what I was thinking. If I didn't have kids I'd be the cool auntie :smile: I'd had the kids around for a while, then hand them back when I'm done.

Sounds like a winning situation. :tongue: :cool:
Reply 14
I expect to be dead long before I reach the age of 50. Regardless, not wanting to be alone when you're older is a pretty crumby reason to have children in my opinion.
Reply 15
Original post by ZRO
I want kids, you get to bring them up and everything with your partner, it's nice. I think it keeps you more "planted" in the sense that you have more responsibilities and can't just do anything as you have to think about the kids etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, sounds like a blast!
Reply 16
Original post by bssjonny
Wow, sounds like a blast!

Lol its obviously not going to be as fun as going out to explore the world, but I think that l when your older your priorities change, and these things seem more relevant. Obviously you can still enjoy yourself, it's just you have more responsibilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
My siblings with have children. I'll demand they take care of my instead :beard:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You mean no one to come and take you to the care home, and no one to subsequently not remember who they are?

No I mean look after you themselves.

Short of harming yourself or others :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending