Possible barriers between international students and UK nationals Watch

This discussion is closed.
gysh
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I'm currently doing a research for my project on international students studying in the UK. I would like to hear your views on whether you think there are any barriers between international students and the UK nationals and also what you think the barriers are/might be. Thank you.
Baby_Angelz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Personally, I have not gone to the UK yet.

But from this forum, it gives me the feeling that UK people are friendly and approachable.. and they lived an interesting lifestyle that is pretty different from me.. It would be nice to have a glimpse of these alternate cultures and traditions.

I doubt my post will be very helpful...
seana
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
culture and lifestyle tend to differ and people sometimes tend to be drawn to similarities...

but even then it can be used as a basis for interaction and be quite a learning experience.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, it varies a lot. The international students in my college for the most part get on very well with the rest of us, although there are a few who don't come out as much.

However, at school, we had a lot of students from Hong Kong and Taiwan, who did not integrate so well with the rest of us. They tended to hang out in their own groups and speak Cantonese/Mandarin to each other, so we couldn't include them. I think the problem was on both sides - when these students arrived here their English was very poor, and so it was a huge effort to try and communicate - lessons must have been an absolute nightmare. Therefore it's only natural to want to stick together where you can speak your own language (trying to speak in a foreign language 24/7 is exhausting, I can tell you!).

However, we didn't exactly make much effort, I have to say, so we were as much to blame. I really think that the communication barrier is the greatest problem - at Cambridge all internationals have had to pass a fairly rigorous English test and so are very competent in the language, therefore it's easier to chat to the rest of us and make friends etc.
orangej
Report 15 years ago
I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

To me, the most common barrier would be language. It is not easy to learn a new language and to be able to communicate in it. That might be a reason why some international students mostly tend to mix with people that they can communicate with.

Interests and how we enjoy ourselves also differ.
trinigyal
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by orangej)

Interests and how we enjoy ourselves also differ.
I agree with this. Even though some international students may be able to speak English quite fluently, what may be considered enjoyable and entertaining in english culture may not be so in theirs and vice versa. It's possible.
Baby_Angelz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
The general standard of the British population is a lot lower.
hmm.. that's surprise me somehow..

I thought most of the UK population should be well educated?
alocin
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No not in particular. The vast majority don't go to university, and rely on tabloid newspapers for their 'education'.
It is quite depressing that the UK's biggest selling newspaper contains mainly "celebrity" gossip, comedy ryhming headlines and half naked women.
_meiko_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i think most of them are well integrated but chinese population are so weird (dont want to offend to anyone), they dont want to go anywhere or join any kind of cultural events or going to friend's parties, the reason: i would really love to know
Baby_Angelz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No not in particular. The vast majority don't go to university, and rely on tabloid newspapers for their 'education'.
That surprises me. Thanks for the input.
alocin
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Baby_Angelz)
That surprise me. Thanks for the input.
The most popular newspapers are junk tabloids, but just because that is the case doesn't mean that no one at all reads broadsheets. That would be like just taking the top 40 music charts as representative of the music that everyone likes, when in actual fact many people prefer non-chart music. Although mainstream culture may be portrayed as all tabloid reading, celebrity and reality tv obsessed, junk food eating idiots, there are plenty of people who don't fit in that group. Honest.
Aeris
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by _meiko_)
i think most of them are well integrated but chinese population are so weird (dont want to offend to anyone), they dont want to go anywhere or join any kind of cultural events or going to friend's parties, the reason: i would really love to know

hmm...that's rarely the case in the U.S. Interesting...
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads