The Student Room Group

From BSc Physics to MSc Mechanical engineering

Hello and Thank you for reading this :smile:.

I am currently aiming/on track for for a First in physics at RHUL. My ideal job would be doing working internationally . The two industries i would like to work in would be :

1) Engineering- Mechanical engineering as it can be applied to oil and gas industry and other multi-national corporations.

2) Finance - Sadly my A-level's are not sufficient for most graduate schemes (e.g. accounting, banking..)

So my Question's are :

1) Is it possible to move from physics to engineering MSc to show my desire to work in the industry , or is it only people with an Meng/Beng that are Recruited ?.

2) Would it be more important to look for work placements/internships in mechanical engineering or further study ?

3) Is there a chance for international work with other disciplines e.g EE or civil engineering ?
Reply 1
Original post by drillliant12

I am currently aiming/on track for for a First in physics at RHUL. My ideal job would be doing working internationally . The two industries i would like to work in would be :

1) Engineering- Mechanical engineering as it can be applied to oil and gas industry and other multi-national corporations.

2) Finance - Sadly my A-level's are not sufficient for most graduate schemes (e.g. accounting, banking..)

So my Question's are :

1) Is it possible to move from physics to engineering MSc to show my desire to work in the industry , or is it only people with an Meng/Beng that are Recruited ?.

2) Would it be more important to look for work placements/internships in mechanical engineering or further study ?

3) Is there a chance for international work with other disciplines e.g EE or civil engineering ?

1) It is possible, albeit quite difficult. Most employers will prefer MEng/BEng to BSc + MSc as they would have done more mechanical engineering and as they are mostly accredited the courses are more standardized, so less risk on the parts of the employers in that you won't be missing out on key skills/knowledge.

2) You can try, but with a BSc in Physics and with no formal engineering training under your belt it will be extremely difficult to get work experience.

3) There is a chance, although again it will be quite small.

By all means search for companies that let you work internationally, but to be honest in engineering its probably oil and gas which will give you the highest chance of doing so, and this is an industry which is very competitive. Be prepared to work the country for smaller companies, at least at the start anyway.

From personal experience, finding a job with a non-engineering undergrad (in my case maths) and an engineering postgrad (in my case aerospace) has proven to be very challenging. This continued perception of there being a "lack of engineers" should not decieve you - there are plenty of engineering graduates out there, its just that companies want those with some experience and very particular sets of skills.

My advice to you is to start paying attention to graduate jobs being advertised over the next few months before making a decision on your future - don't just pay attention to the big shiny names out there, dig deep and look at the requirements and demand from the smaller companies as well.

(Also have you thought about working in the energy sector, especially nuclear? I think a physics degree might give you an advantage here, instead of hold you back like like it would in other sectors)
Reply 2

(Also have you thought about working in the energy sector, especially nuclear? I think a physics degree might give you an advantage here, instead of hold you back like like it would in other sectors)

Thanks for replying :smile:

Yes i have looked at the EDF Scheme and found that quite interesting. Would it be more favorable to progress to postgraduate level and then apply or would a BSc be enough ? (Also the same applies for BP petrophysics scheme).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Yes i have looked at the EDF Scheme and found that quite interesting. Would it be more favorable to progress to postgraduate level and then apply or would a BSc be enough ? (Also the same applies for BP petrophysics scheme).

By all means take a shot at the grad schemes next year as well as applying for a postgrad. If you succeed ditch the postgrad plans. If anything mentioning that you are considering a related postgraduate qualification might show your determination to work in that particular sector at interview.

I think some of the positions with the big energy companies might not require an MSc if you have a physics undergrad, but whether you'll be competitive enough, I don't know. The only way to find out is to apply :smile:
Everything that turgon has said is spot on, but to add to that if you're interested in oil then some of the oilfield service providers like Baker and Schlumberger take on physics graduates for field engineering positions. Also, some of the companies that do highly analytical work, like Jee and 2H also take on physics graduates.
Original post by Smack
Everything that turgon has said is spot on, but to add to that if you're interested in oil then some of the oilfield service providers like Baker and Schlumberger take on physics graduates for field engineering positions. Also, some of the companies that do highly analytical work, like Jee and 2H also take on physics graduates.

Hey is this still the case?
Hey I’m your same position! And I would like to add that this is very similar to what I’m going through! Do you have any update?

So my Question's are :

Original post by Distortedmza1208
Hey is this still the case?

The best thing to do would be to check relevant company websites for job postings to see the qualification requirements; this is an old thread and things may have since changed.

Latest

Trending

Trending