The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Why am i required to pay advance rent before ......

I got a letter today from the University of Portsmouth about my accommodation. lets just say i got the least favourable accommodation and now am given 2 weeks to pay an advance rent.

the problem is my Student finance isn't cleared yet and still waiting for my results, as everyone else. So why is the Uni expecting me to pay up before i have even got my results and declared that my firm choice is the one am to to be attending?
Reply 1
It's a deposit to secure your room. If you don't pay it then the room will be given to someone else and you will have to go into private housing, I believe if you do pay and you do not get the results you want then you will get a refund.

Less than 75% of first years at Portsmouth get into Uni halls - so you are lucky in a way! Which halls have you got? Is it Langstone?
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Original post by Bored31

Less than 75% of first years at Portsmouth get into Uni halls - so you are lucky in a way! Which halls have you got? Is it Langstone?

That's wrong, they can accommodate 75% of students in halls. 25% go into private housing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by EliseTheBees
That's wrong, they can accommodate 75% of students in halls. 25% go into private housing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean? Around about 75% of first years end up in halls, 25% of first years go in to private accommodation. 2nd and 3rd years are also in private Housing.
Original post by Bored31
What do you mean? Around about 75% of first years end up in halls, 25% of first years go in to private accommodation. 2nd and 3rd years are also in private Housing.

Mind my idiocy, I misread this as less than 75% of people don't get in! In my defence, when I read this, I was on my break using my phone! Haha!
Reply 5
Original post by 360kal
I got a letter today from the University of Portsmouth about my accommodation. lets just say i got the least favourable accommodation and now am given 2 weeks to pay an advance rent.

the problem is my Student finance isn't cleared yet and still waiting for my results, as everyone else. So why is the Uni expecting me to pay up before i have even got my results and declared that my firm choice is the one am to to be attending?

Basically, they require the £250 as confirmation that you'd like the room, they want to make sure that you are definitely going to stay there so they can get all of the accommodation organised as soon as possible. They probably also request the £250 to try and stop people hopping around from choosing if they're going to stay in halls or not. There are other people they can offer the room to if you don't want it, that's why they want to make sure you're confirming it.
When I went to an open day I swear they said if you don't end up going there you get your deposit money back... It's just a pain trying to find a spare £250 though!
Reply 7
Original post by Hannahsedgley
When I went to an open day I swear they said if you don't end up going there you get your deposit money back... It's just a pain trying to find a spare £250 though!

Well yeah, you won't get it back, but you would have paid it anyway, advance rent.
Reply 8
You do get it back if you don't go to the uni, If you do, it's deducted from your first term's rent
If you get in they will hold the deposit until the end of the first year. They will then deduct any damages in the accommodation from it an return the balance. My sister had used white tack to put photos on her wall and it left a mark. They deducted the cost of reprinting the wall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MattDorricott
If you get in they will hold the deposit until the end of the first year. They will then deduct any damages in the accommodation from it an return the balance. My sister had used white tack to put photos on her wall and it left a mark. They deducted the cost of reprinting the wall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They say it isn't a deposit, it's advanced rent. When did she go? And did she go to Portsmouth?
Reply 11
Original post by MattDorricott

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not here they don't! The £250 secures the room, which is then taken off the first terms rent, any damages will have to be paid when you move out, you would not get the £250 back at the end of May

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending