The Student Room Group

STRESS/ANXIETY ruining my year abroad

Hi all,
Currently doing a very stressful internship abroad. :frown: need some advice as a result!

I have never had treatment for depression/anxiety because my mum has always managed to convince me I don't suffer from either (lol) but I have felt pretty awful for the past month and have been - secretly - going off to cry during my lunch break/annoying my housemates by overanalysing when I get home from work.

Despite having lots of good friends and a great social life at uni/home, lots of hobbies, perceived confidence etc, I can't communicate as well as I'd like to with my work colleagues which leaves me just ignoring them, and I 've been bullied by another intern (boss sorted it out but there's still tension and we don't hang out anymore). In all honesty, I feel on edge all day, its quite a hostile environemnt but regardless I'm the only one with the 'rabbit caught in the headlights' look...plus I'm constantly tired from working intense, illegal hours mostly staring at a computer screen. I have lost over a stone in the month I've been here, even though I've been eating fairly normally.

I threw money at the problem when I first got here, going for lots of meals out and buying expensive treats to congratulate myself for getting through another week but money wasn't the answer.

At times I'm so tempted to go home but I have a lot of family problems currently unfolding, parental cancer etc, so not sure that would be better for me. I have an interview for another internship and lots of UK friends here with me, but worried my anxiety will continue to get worse.

TL,DR; work colleagues probably think im shy/antisocial/odd, and quite possibly am all of these things...I'm just stressed/anxious, and annoyed at myself for feeling so ****! Perhaps I should take some time out of year abroad altogether?!
As someone that has depression/anxiety issues, I highly suggest you go to the doctor. It will do you a world of good. If you're in university, you're old enough to decide what's wrong with yourself. Don't give up yet. I know how it feels. If you need anyone to talk to, just message me. I hope I can help some.
I'd also suggest contacting your personal tutor at university right away to inform them of the probems you're having (particuarly with regard to the bullying and family illness), hopefully they may allow you to finish your year abroad slightly earlier or at least take such things into account if you have any assessments as part of your YA. Just focus on the fact that it's august now, so not much longer left to the end of the YA :smile:
Reply 3
Do your friends know how stressed etc. you are? They might be able to help somewhat.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending