The Student Room Group

How to fill in my 5? Help!

So I can fill out 2 of the 5 courses on my UCAS what would you recommend I do with the others?

Courses like optometry are offered by only a handful of uni's and I truly only want to go to the one closest to me.

That way I don't hafto move out either (not that moving out is an option for me) shall i pick different courses to fill up the space? Bio med or pharmacy? I wouldn't despise doing them but then my ps will hafto be about both courses right? And my teachers are so against us picking more than one type if course D:

Advice pleaseeeee!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My advice would be to know what job you want to do in life first
All the jobs you quoted are pretty different so it would be best to determine what you like
If you want to do Optometry, put 5 Optometry unis ( you may not get your first/second choices...}
Choosing a course just because you dont want to move out is a odd way of thinking in my view. But hey i dont know you ...
You dont have to use up all 5 choices initially if you dont want to.

But it IS recommended that you do. Think about 'what if none of these two/three say Yes?'. Unless you would then simply retake/reapply next year, its far safer if you also add some other courses to make up your 5 choices, even if these are something like 'Health Studies' or 'Human Biology & Anatomy' IF you would be happy doing these courses. If you wouldnt be, then dont choose them, leave it at Optometry.

PS. Remember something crucial - its you going to Uni, not your teachers
(edited 10 years ago)
The reason teachers advise against mixing courses on your personal statement is because they know that it reduces your chances of getting into any of them if the statement is not targeted specifically to one subject. It shows a lack of commitment to the course and, in competitive courses like optometry, it will rule you out. Therefore decide in advance what you want to do and apply for that. You only need to put down as many courses as you would actually be prepared to attend. There is no point in applying half heartedly to things you don't really want to do, just to make up the numbers. If you get no offers from the two you are interested in, then you can think about going through Extra, when you are sometimes allowed to submit an additional personal statement direct to the university if you are changing subjects.
I only put in one University when I applied, because it was the only one I could feasible go to. I was able too make my PS specific to that uni also.

Of course, I'm not saying to only put one, but it's not a crime to not fill it up. The first time I applied I filled up all 5, and some courses and universities I chose I would never ever have considered going to, so it was a bit silly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending