The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Law at York/Queen Mary

I have an offer from both York and Queen Mary for Law

Although the teaching at York is apparantely much better, the ranking for York is #5 and the one for Queen Mary is #6, not being a very significant difference.

However I just DON'T know what is a better choice. Being a city person, I dont ever think I can live in York and I am so inclined towards Queen Mary. What is the reputation for both of these Universities? Which is more reputed? And what will be a better choice?

Also York's Law is very, very new so it seems very risky to me, even though it seems to be growing on the league tables.

Help, ASAP!
Reply 1
Original post by ashsehgal

Although the teaching at York is apparantely much better, the ranking for York is #5 and the one for Queen Mary is #6, not being a very significant difference.

However I just DON'T know what is a better choice. Being a city person, I dont ever think I can live in York and I am so inclined towards Queen Mary. What is the reputation for both of these Universities? Which is more reputed? And what will be a better choice?

Also York's Law is very, very new so it seems very risky to me, even though it seems to be growing on the league tables.

Help, ASAP!

York is a city, although Queen Mary is in London the rougher side. York is more reputable. It's totally up to you
University of York
York
Reply 2

Help, ASAP!

One thing I would consider is which area of Law you would like to pursue. The contacts you would build in London are irreplaceable and depending on what your focus is for the foreseeable future should be a point of consideration. I am currently at Newcastle and am not from England so this is not a bias view. However, no matter where you go you will have a great time! Good Luck!
York is obviously much more reputable than QM both nationally and globally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Help, ASAP!

York as a university in general is superior to Queen Mary.

P.S Queen Mary is in a poor part of London, it is a hell hole, I been to the campus.
UCL and Kings are situated in nice, rich areas.

But, end of the day, do what you want, you will not be missed if you did not pick York anyway.

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply