AQA Maths - are this summer's papers too hard? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Guest_Rob
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Specimin 1, 2 and the Summer 2001 paper were set at a level too high for most students, and as such the content of papers had to be redesigned. The January 2002, Summer 2002 and January 2003 papers were set slightly lower and at a more realistic level.

I have only done two exams so far, but to me it seems that the difficulty of these Summer 2003 papers has jumped right up again. I compared thursday's P5 paper with P5 Specimin 1, and the specimin paper looked far easier. I have also heard the M1 paper at the end of last month was very difficult too.

Is anyobdy else finding the same?
fisk
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
AQA A or B?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by fisk
AQA A or B?
A (the one with methods)
Guest_Andy
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
AQA MAP5 wasn't the nicest paper in the world, although I think I've had come across nastier papers during the revision period.

The things you were being asked to "show" weren't nice, and I maybe didn't manage to totally show them, but at least when you know what you are trying to show, if they use that in the next part of the question you can pick it up and use it.

Hopefully I will have my paper marked at about 6 PM rather than 11.30 PM when my moderator will be nodding off, and not in the mood to try and decide whether that is worth an "error carried" mark or not !

MAP1 was however the most welcome thing I've ever seen, and I'm almost wishing I'd re-entered more of my AS-Maths exams to try and get more of a comfort margin on my A.

I have also heard that MAM1 wasn't great - although I didn't sit it.

MAD1 was supposed to be quite nice, bar the last question.

MAP6, is consistantly inconsistant. I did it as part of my AS Further Maths and was thrilled that I had (and got a B), especially when I realised that MAP5 and MAP6 are sat in the same session on the same day ! I sympathise with anyone who had to sit both.

And on that point, below is the AQA Mathematics (A) dates for exams:

MAMe Monday 19th May (AM)
MAM1 Thursday 22nd May (PM)
MAD1 Thursday 22nd May (PM)
MAP1 Tuesday 03rd June (PM) **
MAP5 Thursday 05th June (AM) *
MAP6 Thursday 05th June (AM) *
MAP2 Friday 13th June (AM) *
MAP4 Friday 13th June (AM) **
MAS1 Tuesday 17th June (PM)
MAM2 Tuesday 17th June (PM) *
MAP3 Thursday 19th June (AM) *
MAS2 Thursday 19th June (AM) *
MAD2 Thursday 19th June (AM)
MAM3 Monday 23rd June (PM)
MAS3 Monday 23rd June (PM)
MAM4 Wednesday 25th June (AM)
MAS4 Wednesday 25th June (AM)

* Represents papers I am sitting
** Represents papers I am sitting as a resit.

Which practical joker thinks that it is clever to time table P5 and P6 together.

And I was amazed to find that P3, S2, D2 are all timetabled on the same day in the same morning period.

Could you imagine Unlucky Student X, has P3, S2, D2 in the morning (1 hr 20 mins each) = 4 hours, and a 1hr 45 min exam on Biology (Human) in the afternoon - which according to the timetable is perfectly viable.

Start at 9 AM, 4 hrs, plus 10 minute break between each paper, you're at 1.20 PM.

Afternoon session can only start as late at 2 PM at the latest, but should start at 1.30 PM... 3.15 PM if the exam runs on time.

Giving poor Unlucky Student X, 6 hours 15 minutes in the exam hall, with only 30 minutes break in between, and more than likely no lunch ! Bad ! But could happen.
Guest_Andy
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Edit:

I aint taking Pure 6 this summer, as I said. Therefore why did I bother asterixing it.

I am still sitting 7 Maths exams this session though. 2 have gone.
Guest_Rob
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Guest_Andy
AQA MAP5 wasn't the nicest paper in the world, although I think I've had come across nastier papers during the revision period.

The things you were being asked to "show" weren't nice, and I maybe didn't manage to totally show them, but at least when you know what you are trying to show, if they use that in the next part of the question you can pick it up and use it.

Oh dear. I though that was one hell of a paper, I don't think I managed to answer more than 2 questions fully. I also messed up the eigenvalues/vectors part of P6, but that was all my own fault.

Looks like choosing to do 4 a-levels may pay off - I managed to destroy any chance of an A on thursday morning.
Guest_Andy
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
It can't exactly help though when there isn't a standard text book covering the Further Pure units.

Fortunatly my School 6th Form used to follow the old SMP 16-19 Maths course, and we make use of the books from that course, however it doesn't cover everything in the specification as I'm sure your teachers with have found out.

Books we have used from SMP 16-19 at sometime include:

Differential Equations (P5)
Matrices (P6)
Complex Numbers (P4)
Mathematical Structure
Numerical Methods
Calculus Methods
Living With Uncertainty. (S2) (whilst waiting for S2 book)
Modelling Circular Motion (M2) (whilst waiting for M2 book)

and the amount of work my teacher has had to do prepping for the lessons is unbelievable, he confesses to having to have a rummage through his Uni notes (from some 20 years ago), to fill the gaps in the course; and buy new books from Waterstones or where ever.

He has spent the same amount of time per week prepping for our Further lessons than he has teaching it. This is due to the fact we're the first class to take on the new design Further Maths A Level course. It can't be nice for him.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (80)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.19%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.73%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.38%