The Student Room Group

Can relatives help you get a job?

I'm looking for my first job at 16 and was wondering if people you know like uncles, friends etc can help you get a job at supermarkets like asda and tesco? There never seem to be any vacancies in my area so I was wondering if this would work, thank you!

Scroll to see replies

I suppose they can but it would likely be nepotism

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RayRaj
I'm looking for my first job at 16 and was wondering if people you know like uncles, friends etc can help you get a job at supermarkets like asda and tesco? There never seem to be any vacancies in my area so I was wondering if this would work, thank you!

This posts sums up everything that is wrong with the job market. People getting in through who they know instead of what they know. :angry:
Original post by WhatDoIWrite
This posts sums up everything that is wrong with the job market. People getting in through who they know instead of what they know. :angry:

But I bet if you got a job because of the former, you'd not be complaining,
Reply 4
I know several people who have got jobs because they have a relative working there.
Reply 5
Yes, a lot of the time it's about who you know...
Original post by Miracle Day
But I bet if you got a job because of the former, you'd not be complaining,

I wouldn't accept it. I would rather be on the dole. My principles come first.

Yea right.
Yes. Nepotism is fairly common place in certain industries.
Original post by Miracle Day
Yea right.

I've refused jobs where people have offered to put in a good word for me. Probably the reason I haven't found any paid employment in so many years.

I wouldn't want to work somewhere knowing the only reason I am there is because someone put in a good word for me to the manager. I'd rather be there knowing my employer recognises my merits and experience and that is why I was employed.

Don't judge everyone by what you would do.
Reply 10

So your principles are that it is better to claim benefits, than work?
Reply 11
Original post by RayRaj

It might work. It depends if Philip Clarke is your uncle.
Original post by Clip
So your principles are that it is better to claim benefits, than work?

Yes. I wouldn't feel right knowing I'm working somewhere not because of my own merit and experience but because someone put in a good word for me or pushed the manager into hiring me.

And I'm not claiming benefits. I said I would prefer to do it but most likely thing I would do in that situation would be find a way of making money for myself which is what I've been doing for the past few years.
I was one of the lucky few who got a job at Morrisons without actually knowing anyone who worked there. It's a shame that the job market has become the 'who you know' game. I know a few people who have fantastic grades but don't get a second look.
Sure, a friend of mine has an uncle who owns a café so she and all her siblings got jobs there, and some of their friends as well. My mum helped me get my job in a way, she told me to email one of her friends and see if she could put me in contact with the manager so I could email them about getting a job there over the summer. That's the extent of her involvement though, it was more that she was pointing in the direction of a job than saying "I'll get you a job at such-and-such a place", nobody put in a good word for me or anything, it was just letting me know who I needed to contact.
(edited 10 years ago)

Good to see benefits are going to people who are refusing jobs for such stupid reasons. Great morals you have there
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
So basically, if you are out of money, sad and depressed but have friends who can offer you an easier way to get a job, you simply refuse it? It is silly. You have friends and network to make your life(and theirs) easier. If you don't know how to do the job, then you're lucky, that is called learning on the job. And it perfectly good idea because some jobs require experience and to get it you need to have a job. By all means, use your network always. Sometimes you may be filtered out by HR and computers because you don't have a certain grade in your degree but your motivation to learn is more important. Having a network lets you bypass these filters.
Original post by deedee123
Good to see benefits are going to people who are refusing jobs for such stupid reasons. Great morals you have there

Read my last comment. I've never received benefits and I make my own money and it is what I intend to do until I get find a job.

So it's okay to get preferential treatment because of who you know?
Original post by Valentas
So basically, if you are out of money, sad and depressed but have friends who can offer you an easier way to get a job, you simply refuse it? It is silly. You have friends and network to make your life(and theirs) easier. If you don't know how to do the job, then you're lucky, that is called learning on the job. And it perfectly good idea because some jobs require experience and to get it you need to have a job. By all means, use your network always. Sometimes you may be filtered out by HR and computers because you don't have a certain grade in your degree but your motivation to learn is more important. Having a network lets you bypass these filters.

I'm not out of money. I've budgeted and spent my student loan on what I needed leaving me with a lot of money left which I then spent on buying things to sell on as a source of income until I find paid employment which would be a lot less stress. No job doesn't necessarily mean sad and depressed. I volunteer regularly there are plenty of opportunities to volunteer. If you don't have a job it doesn't mean sit on your ass and cry about it until a friend or family member helps you get a job. Get up and do you own work.
Reply 19
i hope so, my dad said his mate would put a good word in for me getting an apprenticeship as a stress engineer!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending