Report 15 years ago
which 6th form u on about?

i wudnt close down any 6th forms.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Do you mean the plans to abolish sixth forms as part of schools and just have sixth form colleges? Utter crap - I loved my sixth form at school. I think they're only trying to do it to one part of the country so far, but I can't believe they're trying to do it anywhere to be honest...
Emma18
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
im confused about that, do they mean they're just going to replace it with the bac system or something???
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i think what they are doing, (well, what they are doing in bristol) is shutting down most sixth forms but having bigger "post-16 centres" instead. the idea is they may have one for the south-west of a city etc and they take all the sixth formers from the schools in the south west. basically a cost cutting exercise
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The way I understand it, there's a pilot scheme where they abolish sixth forms at schools and move all the sixth-formers to dedicated sixth-form colleges. Don't think it's anything to do with exams, just the government feel like fiddling with some more people's schooling :mad: (As you can tell I'm wildly in favour of the idea)
byakugan_neji
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Mine's a proper 6th form college, not one that is part of a secondary school and one that doesn't have loads of smelly grumpy middle-aged people in. I could never go to a 6th form college that's part of a secondary school because I can't stand secondary school kids. So immature. Yea, we was all like that at one stage but it annoys me now, especially when they pack up the buses and all they want is to just get off the next stop.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It wouldn't bother me since nearly everyone where I live goes to a FE college and rightly so because these are of a damn better standard (all three of them gain above average A-Level results). They have better resources, look cleaner and are generally more intelligent institutions.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the thing is if you have less but bigger sixth forms the classes get bigger, at my sixth form my history group is 6 ppl, english 6 and philosophy 9. i think i have learnt better and had a more personal education than being in a class of 20-30.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
the thing is if you have less but bigger sixth forms the classes get bigger, at my sixth form my history group is 6 ppl, english 6 and philosophy 9. i think i have learnt better and had a more personal education than being in a class of 20-30.
i got to sith form college, class sizes are quite small, about 15 max, thers about 1500 people in our college, i think people are confused between sithform colleges and F.E colleges, sixth form are almost always better, although surposedly our college is one of the top 10 in the country.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
It wouldn't bother me since nearly everyone where I live goes to a FE college and rightly so because these are of a damn better standard (all three of them gain above average A-Level results). They have better resources, look cleaner and are generally more intelligent institutions.
It's different round here - all the schools have 6th forms and the one FE college there is is a bit of a dump. It does mostly vocational courses, and most of its A-Level students are mature students.

Having said that, in Shrewsbury most of the schools don't have 6th forms and most people go either to the college or to SCAT. The 6th form college is very good, one of the best in the country.

On the whole, I think having 6th forms attached to schools is a good idea. I wouldn't have liked to change after year 11. I also think that having pupils who are 18 in the school can be a good influence, because if you have year 11 prefects, they're still doing their rebellious teenager thing, whereas most U6th people have grown out of that and can really take responsibility.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
It's different round here - all the schools have 6th forms and the one FE college there is is a bit of a dump. It does mostly vocational courses, and most of its A-Level students are mature students.

Having said that, in Shrewsbury most of the schools don't have 6th forms and most people go either to the college or to SCAT. The 6th form college is very good, one of the best in the country.

On the whole, I think having 6th forms attached to schools is a good idea. I wouldn't have liked to change after year 11. I also think that having pupils who are 18 in the school can be a good influence, because if you have year 11 prefects, they're still doing their rebellious teenager thing, whereas most U6th people have grown out of that and can really take responsibility.
Off the topic but I've been to Shrewsbury and it's great... I loved the Quest

Prefects? Ah we don't have them... the sixth formers are more imature than the year sevens and are a complete joke!

Ideally the system should stay as it so that we can all choose where we want to go
alocin
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
We only had a couple of tiny sixth forms, mainly private ones, in our area. Just everyone went on to the FE college and that was normal. It handled everything from A Levels to AVCEs, GNVQs, "trowel trades", hairdressing qualifications. I always think of 6th forms as kind of odd places, but thats just because I have never even visited one. Having to still wear uniform and share facilties with 12 year olds just seems bizarre when you could have a place set up specifically for 16-18 and some further than that education.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3506110.stm

On the short term plans

However the Tomlinson report seems likely to send things back the other way:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3506229.stm
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think its a bad idea, most good grades come from 6th form schools and not colleges. I went to a college and it was horrible. It was just full of idiots doing silly courses getting paid £30 a week EMA just so the government could forge the employment figures. My tutor even admitted it.

No wonder the average UCAS points of the place was 90.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Off the topic but I've been to Shrewsbury and it's great... I loved the Quest
They've closed Shrewsbury Quest now

It's a shame your 6th formers weren't mature - at my school the year 11s (including my year) were generally horrible, whereas the U6th usually did a decent job of running things.

I don't get why the government is suggesting this - wasn't it only a year or so ago they were suggesting a streamlined 14-19 curriculum?
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
my school is a public school but known in our region for settin a high standard...however we have well over 450 students and a typical AS class is of 28 and A2 of 16-23sh...slightly ridiculus when ya think bout how small they used to be...at my bros private school classes are of just five pupils!
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by babyboo)
my school is a public school but known in our region for settin a high standard...however we have well over 450 students and a typical AS class is of 28 and A2 of 16-23sh...slightly ridiculus when ya think bout how small they used to be...at my bros private school classes are of just five pupils!
last year at my school, there was a class with two pupils
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
last year at my school, there was a class with two pupils
I was the only one in my German A2 class
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sounds like a stupid idea to me... personally you couldn't have paid me to stay on at my school sixth form, but different people like different things. I go to my local sixth form college, and I love it there.

Class sizes is one of the ways that my school tried to persuade me to stay (after "you'll have no friends there" and "you'll fail everything if you leave"), but most of the classes aren't that big. There are only two people in my AS politics class... would be three if the other girl ever turned up.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (114)
14.13%
Excited (79)
9.79%
Worried (152)
18.84%
Terrified (187)
23.17%
Meh (52)
6.44%
Confused (22)
2.73%