Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The plans would never work where I live (the Isle of Wight) because the only sixth form colleges are on the mainland, and the ferrys are not cheap. The college on the Island is officially the worst in the UK (or so it said in the local paper) and they don't even do A-levels. It's all NVQ this and AVCE that.... what a joke.

The schools on the island are strange, because we have middle schools. So we are at primary from reception to year 4. Middle school from year 5 to year 8 (best 4 years ever! No real exams, no worries!) and then High school from year 9 to upper sixth. I think out of 300 in my year, 275 stayed on to the sixth form. However, about 200 of them are doing crappy GNVQ type things so they don't really count!

Unless the literally built a sixth form college on the island, it wouldn't work here. And then the high schools would only have kids from year 9 to year 11. Huge high schools with just a smattering of pupils...doesn't seem to work to me.

Keep sixth forms as part of high schools, it is much easier when you have a 3-school system. I couldn't imagine going to high school in year 7, nor could I imagine there being year 7 children running riot around my high school. I like the 3 school system, it's fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    They've closed Shrewsbury Quest now

It's a shame your 6th formers weren't mature - at my school the year 11s (including my year) were generally horrible, whereas the U6th usually did a decent job of running things.

I don't get why the government is suggesting this - wasn't it only a year or so ago they were suggesting a streamlined 14-19 curriculum?
    That's a bloody shame, 'cause I loved that place... my mum got a herb plant from there and I remember getting a fake Roman coin from there.

Tony Blair says he wants everyone to stay on until they are eighteen. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I did one of them crappy GNVQ/AVCE things, it amazes me when people ****g of qualifcations they don't know much about. I've done A levels as well and believe me AVCE is at the same standard.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who does AVCE leisure, and she is allowed to take all her work into the exam with her and literally copy it out onto the exam paper. To me, that doesn't seem a very good system of testing people's knowledge.

I also know people who did GNVQ business studies, and have since told me that they felt they wasted 2 of their choices up and could have done good GCSE's instead.

I have never taken, nor do I intend to take a GNVQ type qualification, because every single person I have spoken to that has done them has not said any good things about them. From what I hear, they are not worth the paper they are written on.

ReputationRep:
    You are allowed to take in pre release work in which you will have to answer questions on. I know people who say A level maths is easy, it dosn't mean I go round ****ging it off.

I worked damn hard for my AVCE and don't need to be-littled by idiots who have heared one or two stories. GNVQ is GCSE level so that dosn't compare to A levels anyway.

Also Liesure and Toursism may not be hardest AVCE out there.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.