The Student Room Group

Student Support for Medical, Mental Health and Learning differences - TSD Lampter

Hello,

I just wanted to post a bit about my experience with the Student Support and general care in Lampeter. I am studying Philosophy there at the moment, and I have needed a lot of extra support over the past two years.

I have type 1 diabetes, and I have also needed to make use of the mental health support that is offered by Student Support.

I have found that everybody working for the university in Lampeter is keen to make sure that every student gets what they need to help them through their degree. I think that most of the students on campus make use of Student Services at some point during their time in Lampeter.

If you are at all concerned about how you are going to cope at university, try not to worry. Student Support is there to help you with anything at all. They have trained people for you to talk to at any time, as well as people to help with things like Disabled Student Allowance applications and assessments, and support workers to cover any extra needs due to things like dyslexia, dyspraxia, Asperger's syndrome, etc.

As well as all the people in Student Support, all the lecturing staff are brilliant at sorting out any problems. When I was very unwell for nearly a whole semester last year, I met my personal tutor, told him what was going on, and he sorted everything for me. It was also nice that he phoned me a couple of times just because he hadn't heard from me for a while and he wanted to check on how I was getting on.

The 'porters' are definitely worth getting to know. They are based in the main reception, and there is at least one porter on campus at all times - this includes through the night, Christmas Day, everyday. They are incredibly friendly, and although I don't think it's really part of their job, if you go to them at 4am and tell them you can't sleep/you're homesick/you're worried about x, y, z/you're just bored, they will offer you a cup of tea and sit and chat to you.

If you are planning to start in Lampeter and you would like to know more about the care available there, or you are looking for a university that will adapt to your needs, please feel free to get in touch with me either by replying here, or in a private message. I am really happy to answer any questions, or to put you in touch with people in Student Support before you arrive to start setting up extra support.

Lili Hicks.
Reply 1
It's really nice of you to go out of your way to post this, Lili, and I totally agree with everything you've said. In my first year I was tested for dyslexia and the support I have received since has been great. It's up to you to make that initial contact, but from that point on the university bends over backwards to provide all the support you need.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending