Unsure Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I know I have put up threads about what I'll read at uni before, but I'm still unsure. Last night's parent's evening provided me an opportunity to reveal to my parents that I was considering dropping economics and reading engineering at university instead.

My parents, as usual, were very against the idea but my teachers were for it and so it resulted in an arguement between my maths teacher and my dad. It was quite funny actually, to hear her tell him that he was too strict with me

My physics teachers and my maths teachers were keen for me to pursue engineering. My economics teacher however still wants me to stick to economics (obv) and is telling me that there is enough maths to keep my interest in it.

But all of them said I could do equally well in whichever degree I choose. The problem remains that I, myself, don't have the faintest clue in what I want to do. I enjoy all four of my A-level subjects, and I do equally well in them.

Reasons for studying Economics:
- It's easier and there will be lots of pure maths though also stats (yuck).
- I've already gotten in at a good uni for it so it's less hassle.
- It's a better degree if I still want to pursue a banking career. I don't want a gap year.
- I don't hate economics, but I'm not particularly fond of it at the moment either.

Reasons for studying mechanical engineering
- Combination of maths and physics which I both enjoy, and the application of knowledge to solve new problems.
- You get to be creative and make things.
- My team participated in the Institute of electrical engineers egg racing (which involved making a car with some wood, cogs, a motor and wires and battery) and came first last year and second this year.
- Mechanics is probably the maths that comes most naturally for me.
- There are few women in engineering.
- As a child I enjoyed lego, jigsaws and drawing more than dolls and playing house.

What shall I do? It'll be economics at UCL or (hopefully) mechanical engineering at imperial college. Anyone on these courses who can tell me about them (esp the engineering)?

Sorry guys, and I'll be grateful for your opinions. I've alreadly bugged my friends at school about it, but I'd like a wider view.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what are your 4 subjects??

rank them in order of how much you enjoy them.....
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
what are your 4 subjects??

rank them in order of how much you enjoy them.....
1. Maths and Further maths
2. Physics and Economics tied, there are boring bits to both courses. Economics is much easier.
3. Did biology AS but dropped it because it bored me.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmin)
I know I have put up threads about what I'll read at uni before, but I'm still unsure. Last night's parent's evening provided me an opportunity to reveal to my parents that I was considering dropping economics and reading engineering at university instead.

My parents, as usual, were very against the idea but my teachers were for it and so it resulted in an arguement between my maths teacher and my dad. It was quite funny actually, to hear her tell him that he was too strict with me

My physics teachers and my maths teachers were keen for me to pursue engineering. My economics teacher however still wants me to stick to economics (obv) and is telling me that there is enough maths to keep my interest in it.

But all of them said I could do equally well in whichever degree I choose. The problem remains that I, myself, don't have the faintest clue in what I want to do. I enjoy all four of my A-level subjects, and I do equally well in them.

Reasons for studying Economics:
- It's a better degree if I still want to pursue a banking career. I don't want a gap year.
- I don't hate economics, but I'm not particularly fond of it at the moment either.

Reasons for studying mechanical engineering
- Combination of maths and physics which I both enjoy, and the application of knowledge to solve new problems.
- You get to be creative and make things.
- My team participated in the Institute of electrical engineers egg racing (which involved making a car with some wood, cogs, a motor and wires and battery) and came first last year and second this year.
- Mechanics is probably the maths that comes most naturally for me.
- There are few women in engineering.
- As a child I enjoyed lego, jigsaws and drawing more than dolls and playing house.

What shall I do? It'll be economics at UCL or (hopefully) mechanical engineering at imperial college. Anyone on these courses who can tell me about them (esp the engineering)?

Sorry guys, and I'll be grateful for your opinions. I've alreadly bugged my friends at school about it, but I'd like a wider view.
you want to go into banking right? To be realistic, you should go on to do economics. However, maybe you have changed your mind?
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheWolf)
you want to go into banking right? To be realistic, you should go on to do economics. However, maybe you have changed your mind?
I've changed my mind I'm really not sure what's going to make me happy, I only wanted banking cauz of the money...fickle as usual. Can I blame this on my star sign lol? I'm a gemini.
boxersarecool
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
go with what if it was totally up to you, that u would decide to do.
It sounds to from ur postin that it is maths?
I had similar problem only a few days ago with couldn't decide whether to swap to english lit from geog. A choice that my english teacher was keen for me to do, but my parents no so sure.
After debatin the argument a friend said which would u do if u could do either? I said english.
So 2 days ago i emailed the uni's i had good offers from but for geography not english, i was delighted when they emailed back saying that would be no problem, however i had to get slightly higher grades.
I am now much happier as hopefully i will be doin a subject i am intrested in, not just one that others suggested was worthwhile.
Hope this helps
Good luck
Ali
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It sounds as if you already know what you really want to do but feel unsure because you haven't been reassured that everything will be okay.

So follow your heart and do the degree you want to do. Who cares what your Dad says or your teacher. It's not up to them so be independent and decide for yourself.
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
how about a maths degree??

or joint honours.....maths with something else.......

just do something you think you will enjoy....

if maths and further maths are your favourite subjects then carry that on further....
you could do joint maths and economics i'm sure....

??
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
how about a maths degree??

or joint honours.....maths with something else.......

just do something you think you will enjoy....

if maths and further maths are your favourite subjects then carry that on further....
you could do joint maths and economics i'm sure....

??
she has already applied and got offfers
EPD
Report 15 years ago
Economics isnt the be-all and end-all of going into banking. Engineering's obviously a very numerate subject and employers respect this. For example, more qualified Engineers run FTSE-100 companies than Accountants. It sounds to me from your pros and cons that Engineering is right for you. The reasons for choosing Economics seem quite weak compared to the Engineering ones.

Surely you want a challenge? Engineering by all accounts provides this. (Not saying Economics doesnt, so dont shoot me Economics people )
The hassle is irrelevant if it stops you doing what you want for the next 3/4 years.
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
(Original post by happysunshine)
It sounds as if you already know what you really want to do but feel unsure because you haven't been reassured that everything will be okay.

So follow your heart and do the degree you want to do. Who cares what your Dad says or your teacher. It's not up to them so be independent and decide for yourself.
I think i'd be happy doing either but engineering sounds newer and scarier. I still can't decide which one I'd enjoy more.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think i'd be happy doing either but engineering sounds newer and scarier. I still can't decide which one I'd enjoy more.
Engineering, Economics and Management at Oxford wouldve been good anyways i think you should stick with Economics! It totally rocks :cool:
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Engineering, Economics and Management at Oxford wouldve been good anyways i think you should stick with Economics! It totally rocks :cool:
Lol i know, but you should have seen the faces my teachers pulled when I suggested that course. They were like "errr...engineering...at oxford? Isn't oxford more arts?" I don't particularly like oxford myself, though it's an excellent university.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well can you imaging studying either for three years and still feeling positive about the degree? Don't let money persuade you into choosing a course, I'm the same but it doesn't mean you will be well-paid taking the Economics option and it doesn't mean you'll have less money doing engeenering.

Well if it means anything, I'd take engeenering... it sounds more enjoyable and you seem to like it but just need reassuring.
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I take it you're in year 12?

Have you thought about arranging to spend a week this summer on an engineering summer school?

If so insight: http://www.enginuity.org.uk/enginuity/frame.htm (click on the insight link at the top of the page) do one for girls

and headstart: http://www.hdstart.org.uk/ do one for all yr 12 students (boys and girls).

They're both engineering courses (in fact when I went on my Headstart one - in Cardiff back in the dark ages of 1996) the insight and headstart groups were put together for a lot of the time.

Personally it put me right off engineering - mainly because I was quite vague on what engineering involved before going and also because it put me in contact with the sorts of people I'd be studying with/from and I decided it wasn't for me. It did however inspire me to look into environmental courses which eventually got me into geology (which suited me down to the ground).
hi, nope, year 13. Already got offers for economics and I've done UCAS. So I'm trying to make my mind up in time!
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Ack - you aren't in yr 12.

However if you're thinking of taking a year out before applying for engineering then a summer school would still be an option (if it interests you).

If you're wanting to switch courses through clearing/extra (ie outside of reapplying) then it might be trickier to get a place.

http://www.engineering.tufts.edu/wieo/index.html

Might also be of interest.

(also bear in mind an engineering course should be 4 years not 3 (at least to get an MEng) so if money might be an issue it might be a problem)
Cheers yeah I'm best at being awkward me, therefore changing mind just before exams.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Well can you imaging studying either for three years and still feeling positive about the degree? Don't let money persuade you into choosing a course, I'm the same but it doesn't mean you will be well-paid taking the Economics option and it doesn't mean you'll have less money doing engeenering.

Well if it means anything, I'd take engeenering... it sounds more enjoyable and you seem to like it but just need reassuring.

for me i know that i want to go into finance/economics/business career, so its an easy choice for me. Banking sounds good, but u dont get that much money at all in the beginning, and not that many people make it to the top, (where the real serious money begins). I can probably make more money by taking over my dad's company,but i dont want to do that. I want to go and work for the stock exchange/finance market cus i am very interested about the finance sector and wanna earn money out of my own hands u no (i wont be sayin this tho if i become unemployed :P)

So, this means that you should not go into banking just for the money. You should be very interested about finance if you want to become a successful banker. On the other hand, economicsts have the 2nd highest income (1st-clinical dentist). Economics is very broad as you know - you can go into just about any business-related career.
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
I wouldn't worry about time too much - here at Southampton (one of the best (in fact the best for certain branches) engineering uni's in the country) there are always places available at clearing.

This is because engineers (or engineering admissions officers) prefer to under recruit numbers wise than lower their entry standards...because lowered entry standards might risk their status when it comes to part exemption for their graduates from CEng (Chartered engineer) status.
Ahh i see, will call up unis and harass them about spare places. Can I do that? will they mind if I prefer not to take a gap year?
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
If you've got A levels in maths and further maths they probably wouldn't even mind if you spat on them and demanded £50 for the honour of having you attend their uni

btw and thoughts on which branch of engineering interests you - or were you planning on going for a general course.

If you've got the time and don't live too far off can I recommend our preview day (soton)
http://www.soton.ac.uk/ProspectiveSt...VisitOpenDays/
You can book yourself onto talks etc online as of next thursday (the 1st)

Even if you're not too interested in coming here we do a fairly big range of engineering courses (civil, environmental, aeronautical, acoustical, mechanical, electromechanical, electronic, electrical and computer) so might help you get a better feel for which would be for you.

I'm thinking mechanical as I like to twiddle around with cogs and always wonder how things work. Thanks for the info, you're a wealth of knowledge pencil queen!
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My pleasure

I hope you find the right course/uni for you
See, I told you you were wise/knowledgable
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.28%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.52%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.84%
Not yet but I might (58)
13.36%

Watched Threads