Bristol or Edinburgh - which is the more prestigous university out of the two? Watch

This discussion is closed.
andyreid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rah)
haha so wrong, edinburgh is far more prestigious on the international stage, plus its such a lovely city where as a lot of bristol is horrible

lol how can you say that when you live in nottingham
oh sorry st anns.meadows,bulwell,hucknall,be stwood,forest fields,hyson green,radford,lenton,carrington, bilborough,netherfield,sneinton, thorneywood,broxtowe estate, cinderhill,old basford,new basford and clifton are all "lovely" in your eyes lol
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by alocin)
If it was for Law then Edinburgh would do a different course, including Scottish Law rather than English Law, and I'm not sure that counts as a qualifying law degree for professional requirements. And it is four years long.
it a Scottish law degree and allows you to qualify for Scottish law professional requirements. It's just like how an English law degree works in England and not in Scotland.

Edinburgh is really good for law but if your from England it wouldn't be worth your time unless your completley sure you want to do something else other that being a solicitor or barrister after you finish your LLB.
koalapiyo
Report 15 years ago
i'm an Edinburgh grad who spent 6 yrs in this lovely city, and i'm off to do a Phd in Cambridge soonish.

My first question is, what subject area is your postgraduate degree in?

If it's a science post-graduate course, then I think, you'll have to examine each of the departments in Bristol and Edinburgh. There are bound to be fantastic and crap departments in both. For example, the mech engineering department at Edinburgh isn't the greatest; whereas, the molecular biology and neuroscience are pretty outstanding.

If you want to go on to an academic career, then I will say that Edinburgh grads have done not badly in terms of getting into Phds and positions elsewhere in UK and abroad.

From my MSc graduating class of ten, two folks, not including myself, are now Phd students at Cambridge (Biochemistry Dept, Zoology Dept), one at Bristol (Tissue Engineering), three stayed in Edinburgh (Oncology & Genetics), one went back to China to work, another lass is applying for Phds in malaria labs.

Moreover, I personally know of, and heard of other people who have ended up at Berkeley, Stanford, and John Hopkins after getting their Phd here.

Thus, it seems an Edinburgh Masters and a Phd degree is quite valued in this country and abroad.

Some of the technicians in labs I have worked at, are now at Harvard, and Rockefeller University in the US.

I know this is not relevant for postgrads but we have exchange schemes with the entire University of California system (including Berkeley), Georgetown, Washington in Seattle, UPenn (a US Ivy), UofT, McGill, UBC, Queens (all the top Canadian Unis), NUS (Singapore) and some of the so-called "group of 8" leading Unis in Australia such as UNSW. in that respect, we must be alright on the international stage, to be able to partner with these other institutions.

Equally, i'm sure Bristol has exchange schemes with maybe same/better exchange partners.

Admittedly, of late, we're languishing a bit behind Bristol and St Andy's in the league table stakes. I think we did use to be in the top 10, but we're in the top 20 now in most of the tables. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Do bear in mind that with league tables, institutions do fluctuate from year to year due to research assessment exercises etc. so it's better to compare institutions rankings down the years to highlight trends.

I know a lot of people loathe the top 500 World University rankings discussed in the thread in this forum but Edinburgh does feature in the top 50. So, internationally speaking, Edinburgh does have some sort of academic prestige in the world, although how much is hard to quantify. In any case, I don't think we needed that table to confirm Edinburgh's reputation anyway.

In comparison, to St Andrew's, well, we are a much bigger uni. St Andrew's doesn't have a proper medical school, and theres less diversity in terms of subject areas you can research in (however depending on which league table you believe, Edinburgh or St Andrew's is Scotland's no. 1). and i'm pretty sure we get much more research income than St Andrews by sheer size of departments alone.

As mentioned earlier, we are quite old, some famous past alumni include an old dead guy - Charles Darwin; a new probably much despised guy - Gordon Brown.

At the end of the day, the subject matter does matter. have a look at the RAE tables, and see which dept is better, and who has the most distinguished faculty members. to see if a PI is worth their salt, have a look at their publication record.

For law, you should definitely go to Bristol, if you want to practice down in England.

Obviously, i am fiercely proud of my alma mater, and no doubt, some of what I say will be a wee bit biased here and there. however, i'm not going to say Edinburgh is more prestigious, because i really don't know.

My gut instinct, and from what i read tells me that Bristol is either equal to, or slightly ahead in the prestige-stakes with employers currently. to draw any meaningful comparisons, you'd really have to compare the employment situation of the grads from both bristol and edinburgh down the years (the career service of each institution will carry out a survey of it's graduates each year).

so bottom line is this: you won't go far wrong by coming to Edinburgh. but a Bristol degree will be as, or more prestigious/valuable. umm...also, both Edinburgh and Bristol are in the self-styled Russell group of leading research Universities, so you shouldn't have a problem with employment after you finish your degree in either place.

http://www.hero.ac.uk/reference_reso..._group3706.cfm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell...f_Universities

however, i must end on a note of praise for Edinburgh - no doubt it's more pretty, happening and fun. MTV can attest to that!
Winifred
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Thanks for your advice peeps.

Hi koalapiyo, I've been offered places at both universities to do a PhD in Geography with the intention of becoming a Lecturer in Geography afterwards. i'm having trouble decidng where I want to go because the Geography Departments at both unis gained 5* for the 2001 RAE and they are both good unis with very little difference between them in league table positions e.g. in the Sunday Times University Guide 2003, Bristol was 7th and Edinburgh was 11th.

Please keep sending me more advice / comments, I find it extremely useful.

Cheers,

Wini.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nissa)
St Andrews is older and more prestigious than Edinburgh and has better teachers in Scotland
lol I knew someone was going to bring up St Andrews. It's older, yes, but the other two things you say are definitely arguable; and no one had heard of St Andrews before Prince William went there.
galaxy
Report 15 years ago
Dear Sir,
I beg to state that i am Noman live in Pakistan, and the student of 2nd year Inter Commerce and now looking for BA(HONS).
now i want to continue my study in UK. I agree to pay my fees in advance in the conditon of send me student visa because the BRITISH DEPUTY HIGH COMMISION (Karachi) not agree to give visa without admission in any UK school or university so kindly u select me i pay my fees in advance or otherwise send me your admission forms or detail to my postal address.
I hope your organization corprate with me.

Thank You
Winifred
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi Galaxy, I think you might have posted your message in the wrong place!
W.A.S Hewins
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Winifred)
Hi Peeps,

I've been offered places at both the University of Edinburgh and the Univeristy of Bristol to do a Postgraduate Degree. I was wondering which is the most prestigous out of the two universities.

Thanks,

Wini.

P.S. Which of the two has the best reputation with employers?
Edinburgh has achieved more over the long term but in terms of current rep they're pretty equal, which is a bit unfair on Edinburgh..
koalapiyo
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Winifred)
Thanks for your advice peeps.

Hi koalapiyo, I've been offered places at both universities to do a PhD in Geography with the intention of becoming a Lecturer in Geography afterwards. i'm having trouble decidng where I want to go because the Geography Departments at both unis gained 5* for the 2001 RAE and they are both good unis with very little difference between them in league table positions e.g. in the Sunday Times University Guide 2003, Bristol was 7th and Edinburgh was 11th.

Please keep sending me more advice / comments, I find it extremely useful.

Cheers,

Wini.
you're welcome. firstly, congrats for getting your offers. it's an achievement in itself to get a Phd offer. you should be pleased!

wow, geography eh!! well, i can say at first hand, that the geography department in Edinburgh is quite good. i actually did the first year geography undergrad course, so i've been in the geog department and had fond memories of map reading practicals. i recall it being quite a nice and friendly place, and i knew that it was quite well regarded for it's research.

well, since you're intending to do a Phd, then the sort of questions you should (and might have already) be asking yourself is:

1. funding
are both Unis offering you a studentship? some Phd students run into financial problems, and can't finish.

2. supervisor
this is probably not as imp as for biomedical research where your relationship with your supervisor in the lab can be make or break.
however, i'd always go for the friendlier and more helpful supervisor.

3. specific research areas
no doubt there will be overlap in both departments, but is there a specific lecturer who is doing research in a field that really grabs you?

presumably you've already been to both places and had a walk around during your interviews and talked to current Phd students right?

other general stuff about edinburgh and the department (sorry my knowledge is very limited)

it's really near the center of town, close to the other arts and social science departments and main library. it's also nice and convenient to hit the shops in Princes St or other student bars and cafes to read or type up stuff on your laptop. there's also lots of nice grassy areas around the george square campus, and also the meadows are a great place to hang out. then you have arthur's seat, which is great for jogging and cycling. if you like culture, there's national art galleries, museums. shopping, we have a harvey nicks, a new shopping and entertainment complex called Ocean Terminal, where the Queen's old yacht Britannia is. every summer, 1000s of tourists come for the international festival, and fringe, so there's a real vibrancy and energy in the city. it also means there's a lot of part time work too for students, if you're looking to supplement your income. ermm, Prince Wills sometimes comes down to party; having been spotted in the Opal Lounge. if you're into nightlife, then there's tonnes of clubs - a lot of MTV post-awards parties were held in venues across the city. this is a real anecdote - Justin Timberlake popped into a club, and surprised all the students by doing a free little gig.

oh yea, you can watch the likes of France and England come hammer the Scots at Murrayfield.

finally, Edinburgh's Old (Medieval) and New (Georgian - think of the architecture in the city of Bath) Towns were designated a UNESCO world heritage site (in 1995). Bristol is not on that list, because it's not as nice as Edinburgh, and everyone knows it.

http://whc.unesco.org/nwhc/pages/doc/mainf3.htm
http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/heritage...ge_status.html

downsides:

not really any i can think of. apart from the fact, Edinburgh is quite a costly city to live in....
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Sep '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 6 Nov '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (86)
17.84%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (310)
64.32%
Not yet but I am planning to (23)
4.77%
Not yet but I might (63)
13.07%

Watched Threads