Actuarial Science chat

Hi,
I wanted to start a thread for any actuaries or wanna be actuaries :smile:
So add your friends....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How long does it take to be an actuary
Reply 2
Between 3-6 years is average, depending on the amount of exemptions... (Although I am only starting in 2014 so can't really talk from experience)
Reply 3
Original post by Faye_m
Between 3-6 years is average, depending on the amount of exemptions... (Although I am only starting in 2014 so can't really talk from experience)

Have you taken Maths Further?
Reply 4
Original post by Enoxial
Have you taken Maths Further?

You mean Further Maths? I have not but between my A level Exams and University I plan to cover FP1, FP2, and possibly FP3 to give me a head start :smile: have you?
Reply 5
Well my school does not do further maths
Planning to some reading on the second year of my A-levels
Reply 6
Original post by shahidk1
Well my school does not do further maths
Planning to some reading on the second year of my A-levels

Do you want to become an actuary? If so, where are you applying to?
Reply 7
Original post by Faye_m
You mean Further Maths? I have not but between my A level Exams and University I plan to cover FP1, FP2, and possibly FP3 to give me a head start :smile: have you?

The ActEd website said you just need to revise P1, P2 and P3.
Honestly, Il do just the same. (Going to start in 2014)
Reply 8
Original post by Enoxial
The ActEd website said you just need to revise P1, P2 and P3.
Honestly, Il do just the same. (Going to start in 2014)

Same :smile: 2014! Where you applying to? But even though it says that's all what is required, from looking at past papers there is more content that isn't in the A level syllabus like more technical terms. (I assume by p1-3 you mean c1-3)
Reply 9
I really love maths and I would like to study it at university level although qlot of people discourage me from it
Reply 10
Original post by shahidk1
I really love maths and I would like to study it at university level although qlot of people discourage me from it

If that's what you love do it :smile: my dad has a Ph.d in something Maths! It's really not for everyone but if u wanna do it then do it!
Reply 11
Original post by Faye_m
Same :smile: 2014! Where you applying to? But even though it says that's all what is required, from looking at past papers there is more content that isn't in the A level syllabus like more technical terms. (I assume by p1-3 you mean c1-3)

Applying to? As in tuition provider? Im going to do it on an individual basis.
Reply 12
Original post by Enoxial
Applying to? As in tuition provider? Im going to do it on an individual basis.

Oh, so you aren't going for a Bsc in Maths or acturial? Are you just out of school? Sorry I'm kind of confused
Reply 13
This conversation has no logical flow from one post to the next... On another note, shouldn't this thread be in some kind of maths sub-forum or a finance-type careers one?
Reply 14
Original post by qno2
This conversation has no logical flow from one post to the next... On another note, shouldn't this thread be in some kind of maths sub-forum or a finance-type careers one?

Yeah it did kinda go a bit off... But it's just meant to be a place where anyone interested in actuarial science can discuss it. And yeah we should maybe move it to a Maths sub-forum. Idk how to move it though
Could never find a place where actuaries / 'looking to become actuaries' could just talk. I've just finished my A-levels and I'm starting university this September/October. When it comes to advice / guidance / experience I've got pretty much none to give out I guess, but hopefully this thread will help with that a little:smile: Anyone done any of the exams or applied for work experience in an actuarial role? Anybody know anyone who is an actuary?
Reply 16
Original post by Icycandle
Could never find a place where actuaries / 'looking to become actuaries' could just talk. I've just finished my A-levels and I'm starting university this September/October. When it comes to advice / guidance / experience I've got pretty much none to give out I guess, but hopefully this thread will help with that a little:smile: Anyone done any of the exams or applied for work experience in an actuarial role? Anybody know anyone who is an actuary?

That's why I started this thread :smile: and well I'm just taking my a level Maths so can't really say much but I've done a lot of research into it!
And yes I know 3 actuaries! 2 family friends and my math teacher :smile: almost had work experience there till the boss didn't ok it for legal reasons :frown:
if anyone has any questions regarding actuarial jobs or studies in actuarial sciences , I'd be more than happy to answer some questions with experience both in uni and out in this field
Hey guys,
I aspire to become an actuary. I have applied for Actuarial Science for 2013 but I'm worried about my maths results (considering how difficult the Edexcel c3 exam was). To prepare myself for clearing, I was hoping to find out about universities that offer Actuarial Science. How good are these universities:
1. University of East Anglia
2. University of Essex
3. University of Leicester
4. Queen's Belfast University?
I would appreciate any help :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by sneha.vag
Hey guys,
I aspire to become an actuary. I have applied for Actuarial Science for 2013 but I'm worried about my maths results (considering how difficult the Edexcel c3 exam was). To prepare myself for clearing, I was hoping to find out about universities that offer Actuarial Science. How good are these universities:
1. University of East Anglia
2. University of Essex
3. University of Leicester
4. Queen's Belfast University?
I would appreciate any help :smile:

Queens Belfast I think is pretty good, and UEA but I'm not certain. Where did u apply to? And what were your offers if I may ask?

Quick Reply

Latest