The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

EPSRC-funding for a Cambridge PhD: Plenty of money or just enough to survive?

Hi everyone,

I am in the lucky position to hold an offer for a PhD scholarship at Cambridge. The rate is at the height of the EPSRC funding - a bit over 13k£ a year. Considering the costs of living (accommodation, food, etc. but no tuition/college fees) - is this plenty of money and allows a comfortable lifestyle or is it just enough to survive? The by the university recommended amount of money needed is 11,750£ a year. Please consider, that the programme runs all year round and not only 3 terms.

Thanks!
It's plenty, even in Cambridge.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Thanks! Any more comments on it? There are quite a few views.. :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by itsmi
Thanks! Any more comments on it? There are quite a few views.. :wink:

Not much more to add, other than you can supplement it by supervising first years. Just the stipend is fine to live on though.
It's tax free right? :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks!
Yes, it's tax free :wink:
Reply 6
Hello I need advise on tips to write a proposal for a research grant. Or anyone who can sponsor the course fees. I teach adults with a disability and have been accepted to study MA course. It will be digital media film and I am including disability art. As well as researching overseas. Please can you advise ?
Reply 7
I'm on a research council award at Cambridge as well, and the stipend is plenty. Even this year, when living in one of the more expensive rooms that my college offers, I was still fine. Many colleges subsidise things like eating in the buttery/hall, and the bar is usually reasonable, so it's possible to keep costs down. I still had money for clothes, books etc, and some small trips. Although I am looking forward to living in a cheaper room this year :wink:
Reply 8
Thanks, gutenberg. Very helpful! Did you have any money left after what you described or was is just about enough for that "lifestyle"? :smile:

Skyh: I didn't apply at the sponsor of the grant directly I'm afraid. I applied for a funded PhD project.
Original post by Skyh
Hello I need advise on tips to write a proposal for a research grant. Or anyone who can sponsor the course fees. I teach adults with a disability and have been accepted to study MA course. It will be digital media film and I am including disability art. As well as researching overseas. Please can you advise ?

I suggest you post separately, since your question has nothing to do with this thread. Note that doing an MA course is not research, so you don't need a research grant. On the whole there is virtually no funding for MA courses, so I think you need to work for a while and save.
Original post by itsmi
Hi everyone,

I am in the lucky position to hold an offer for a PhD scholarship at Cambridge. The rate is at the height of the EPSRC funding - a bit over 13k£ a year. Considering the costs of living (accommodation, food, etc. but no tuition/college fees) - is this plenty of money and allows a comfortable lifestyle or is it just enough to survive? The by the university recommended amount of money needed is 11,750£ a year. Please consider, that the programme runs all year round and not only 3 terms.

Thanks!

You'll be fine.

Note that a science PhD involves lots of hours at work, so your opportunities to spend money will be fairly limited. And Cambridge is unusual in that lots of things are subsidised, and there are various pots of money to fund things that you might like to do, so you will be better off than someone on a similar stipend at another university.
Reply 11
Thanks very much to you, too. What I'm actually trying to figure out is whether there is some money for traveling or not. I'm not from the UK and couldn't stay away from home for 3 years ;-)
Original post by itsmi
Thanks, gutenberg. Very helpful! Did you have any money left after what you described or was is just about enough for that "lifestyle"? :smile:

Skyh: I didn't apply at the sponsor of the grant directly I'm afraid. I applied for a funded PhD project.

Well, I didn't have a huge surplus left by the time I was due another payment, but certainly enough to be comfortable. I was awarded a scholarship by my RC to conduct research abroad, and had to purchase (transatlantic) flights, visa etc out of my stipend as they weren't paying us the extra scholarship stipend until 1 July, and I survived doing that as well (I wouldn't recommend it though!). I saw in a later post that you're interested in going travelling: if you're sensible with the money then I see no reason why you can't go on a few modest trips. In addition, in the sciences you'll probably be able to attend conferences in far-flung places, with your department paying: friends in physics & in chemistry have been to Germany, Japan, Bulgaria & China recently as part of departmental trips, and are usually able to add in a few extra days' sightseeing on top of 'official' business. In some science groups, it seems to be standard to go on some kind of skiing trip every winter as well, so I doubt you'll be stuck in Cambridge the whole time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending