The Student Room Group

How is degree classification worked out?

I know the second year counts for 40% and the final year counts for 60% (for your average three year degree) but my question is this:

Say someone got 80 in their second year, what would they need to get in the final year to secure a first?
Original post by RG.
I know the second year counts for 40% and the final year counts for 60% (for your average three year degree) but my question is this:

Say someone got 80 in their second year, what would they need to get in the final year to secure a first?

If the split is 40/60 as outlined above then you would need 63.3% for a first.

Not all unis follow this system so check your course handbook. Mine was 1/3 for second year and then 1/3 for each semester of final year.
Every university and subject does things differently. For some subjects it's all on the final year.
Reply 3
It depends entirely on university and course - speak to your tutor. My degree is 10% first year, 30% second and 60% third for instance.
my uni is either:

40/60 - second and final year split

or

full final year score
Reply 5
Original post by RG.

If that is how your university work it out then do the following:
1. your second year average divided by 100 so 80/100=0.8
2. answer from point one multiplied by how much the second year is worth so 0.8*40=32
3. assuming you need 70 to get a first, do 70 minus the answer from point two so 70-32=38
4. what you're looking for is a third year average which when divided by 100 and multiplied by how much your third year is worth gives you the answer in point three
so you're trying to solve (x/100)*60=38 and that means you need 63.3% to get a first as Hedgeman49 said
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by luvcats
If that is how your university work it out then do the following:
1. your second year average divided by 100 so 80/100=0.8
2. answer from point one multiplied by how much the second year is worth so 0.8*40=32
3. assuming you need 70 to get a first, do 70 minus the answer from point two so 70-32=38
4. what you're looking for is a third year average which when divided by 100 and multiplied by how much your third year is worth gives you the answer is point three
so you're trying to solve (x/100)*60=38 and that means you need 63.3% to get a first as Hedgeman49 said

Sorry accidently negged with my fat fingers :colondollar:
Reply 7
Bear in mind that if you got 80% in your second year but finished your degree with say 68% overall, it's possible the uni would give you the first, possibly after a VIVA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending