The Student Room Group

Bomb attack at mosque kills 15

At least 15 people have been killed and over two dozen severely injured in a bomb attack on a Shia mosque and religious seminary in Pakistan's northwestern city of Peshawar

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/06/21/310135/pakistan-shia-mosque-bombing-kills-15/

Local security officials said the attack occurred when people were performing Friday prayers on the outskirts of the volatile city.

Medical sources said the death toll is expected to rise as some of the injured are reported to be in critical condition.

No group has yet claimed responsibility, but pro-Taliban militants usually take responsibility for similar attacks in the violence-wracked country.

The blast is the worst such attack in the volatile region since the new government was installed in May.

This is also the latest deadly incident in a wave of violence against the Shia Muslim community in Pakistan.

Human Rights Watch says more than 400 Shias were killed in Pakistan in 2012, which was the deadliest year on record for the Shia Muslim community.

Reports say the anti-Shia terrorist group of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ) was behind most of the attacks on Shia Muslims in Pakistan.

Shia Muslims in Pakistan say the government must take decisive action against the forces involved in the targeted killings. They also accuse Islamabad of failing to provide security for the Muslim community.

The country’s Shia leaders have called on the government to form a judicial commission to investigate the bloodshed.

The killing of Shias has caused an international outrage, with rights groups and regional countries expressing concern over the ongoing deadly violence.

Shias make up about a third of Pakistan’s population of over 180 million.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this is not the uk, its a muslim country. this kind of thing happens all the time in those sorts of places
Original post by TrueDat
this is not the uk, its a muslim country. this kind of thing happens all the time in those sorts of places
Is correct. If we were to post something every time a muslim killed another muslim in a muslim country we would need a separate "muslims killing muslims" forum. Still, a tragedy for those involved though.
Reply 3
Religion of peace.
Reply 4
Every Ramadan sees an increase in Mosque bombings.

I was telling my friend during a chat about politics a few days before Ramadan - "watch out for all the Mosque bombings"

I think there have been 3 or 4 so far.
As poster 2 said, these things happen a lot more in other countries.
Reply 6
Original post by Chindits
Every Ramadan sees an increase in Mosque bombings.

I was telling my friend during a chat about politics a few days before Ramadan - "watch out for all the Mosque bombings"

I think there have been 3 or 4 so far.

I don't get your point- you saying Ramadan is the time for bombings?
Reply 7
Well, its Sunni's and Shia's, a historical conflict of people from the same religion, similar to Catholics and Protestants centuries ago (QQ Guy Fawkes)
Reply 8
Original post by TrueDat
I don't get your point- you saying Ramadan is the time for bombings?

Yes, I thought my post made that point quite clearly.

Due to extra Mosque activity, it's ripe for bombing.

That's why Ramadan always sees more bombings of Mosques than any other time of the year.
Reply 9
Another Mosque bombing today.

A suicide bomb blast inside a Sunni mosque in central Iraq has killed at least 20 people and injured dozens more, officials say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23378405

Splash a Qu'ran with a bit of water and there are world wide protests.

Bomb Mosques relentlessly during Ramadan - and not a peep from the Muslim community.

So bloody typical.
Whats the difference between sunni and shia?
Reply 11
Original post by AreebWithaHat

they fell out after mohammed died basically.
Reply 12

In terms of terrorism and extremism - nothing.
Reply 13
Original post by Chindits
Another Mosque bombing today.

A suicide bomb blast inside a Sunni mosque in central Iraq has killed at least 20 people and injured dozens more, officials say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23378405

Splash a Qu'ran with a bit of water and there are world wide protests.

Bomb Mosques relentlessly during Ramadan - and not a peep from the Muslim community.

So bloody typical.

This has been going on in Iraq for months. It's tit for tat bombing, a good portion of the blood are on the hands of the Iraqi government, so much for democracy coming to Iraq. 10 years and there have only been local elections.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Sunni: One who follows the 'Sunnah' (practice and teachings of Muhammad (pbuh))

Shia: One who supports Ali (RA), Muhammad (pbuh)'s cousin over the first 3 Caliphs

You can tell the difference between both by the way they pray.

I am a Sunni Muslim btw. One of my best friends is a Shia... Sunni/Shia clashes are so stupid.
Original post by Ankabout
Sunni: One who follows the 'Sunnah' (practice and teachings of Muhammad (pbuh))

Shia: One who supports Ali (RA), Muhammad (pbuh)'s cousin over the first 3 Caliphs

You can tell the difference between both by the way they pray.

I am a Sunni Muslim btw. One of my best friends is a Shia... Sunni/Shia clashes are so stupid.

to be clear the "sunnah" as sunnis call it is just the compilation of stories about mohammed written by sunni scholars- this is largely regarded by shias as made up and fabricated - then tend to follow the Koran primarily only
Reply 16
Original post by Freespeech4all
to be clear the "sunnah" as sunnis call it is just the compilation of stories about mohammed written by sunni scholars- this is largely regarded by shias as made up and fabricated - then tend to follow the Koran primarily only

No, Shias are not Quranists. There are Hadith narrated by Ali (RA) so they are not going to reject it.

EDIT:
Oh, you're banned already.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Bombs and muslims go hand in hand why even bother posting this? Like anyone is suprised or cares
Religion of pieces more like. Pieces of humans.
Reply 19

Though Sunni's and Shia's share a lot in common, here is the fundamental difference:

My sunni brothers/sisters in Islam, from what i have read believe when the Prophet pbuh died, it was up to the muslims themselves to decide who was to be the new leader.

Those who are in the shia-school of thought cite what they believe to be conclusive evidence of Muhammed nominating Ali Ibn Abu Talib to be the leader after him. Additional to this evidence they argue that if the prophet, a man with such a huge power vacuum just died, either he would nominate a leader or tell the people how to choose the leader. This is a man who never left a city without leaving a governer , because he knew there were trouble makers and the instability it would cause.

To know more, i recommend reading these links:

1.al-islam.org
2. ahlulbayt tv channel 842 on sky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending