The Student Room Group

The creation conundrum

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by KeepYourChinUp
Unforntunately that big bang - big crunch theory is pretty much forgotten about now. We know that the universe is expanding and that it's accelerating faster and faster. The universe has nothing to slow down it's acceleration as far as we know so it will just keep getting faster.

Who knows maybe the universe will get so large that it can't support itself anymore and will eventually come back in on itself but Hubble's law states that the universe is expanding and gaining speed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7955379/The-universe-will-expand-forever-new-Nasa-study-on-dark-energy-concludes.html little read for you, it'sa tad old but nevertheless.

Please note that

a) You're no longer relying on bare (strong) logical arguments, but rather on a scientific finding.

b) Despite being generally accepted, said finding is falsifiable (not to mention there are those who argue the Universe only seems to be accelerating).
Reply 21
ok so let's us assume that universe collapses and goes back to a singularity for a million years. Then it explodes again ect, would the people living in the new universe have the right to say that nothing existed before there universe because there was no time?

I understand what you mean when you say time, unfortunately the word time was invented way way before time was considered to be something to do with the universe so we have no other kind of word to describe "time".

What if there was a universe before ours? That universe would of had time. The only time we can say that there is no time is if we conclude that the first thing to exist was created spontaneously and subsequently created time.

If something had always existed and never needed creating, then time also always existed.

I'm not sure what you're getting at but for us, the start of time is the start of the universe, for anything existing before the big bang time could be a billion years older, or a trillion years older. Our perception of time only applies to everything contained inside the universe, where our local time began.

That's an evasive question. You'd need a generalisation of the concept of time. Which one would be most suited would depend on the specific model, but there is no reason I'm aware of why it should be impossible to do so. Nevertheless, even without a clear definition of time, that doesn't change the fact that you can at least idealise cyclic creations without paradoxical consequences.
See Lawrence Krauss: A Whole Universe From Nothing.

The watchmaker analogy was destroyed by Darwin and soon it will be buried for good when physicists finally solve the origin of the cosmos.

There's no way we could prove there ISN'T a creator but if there's no evidence that a creator is needed then what's the point? This overlaps with the God of the Gaps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

All I know is that it is more likely for there to be no God than for there to be a God.
We know the universe exists, but don't know about anything before it; it's foolish to make guesses about something which we can never prove (as far as modern technology goes, anyway). I'm happy to take it as it is and say the universe spontaneously came into existence of its own accord (i.e. there was no creator) - because that's all we know and all we can prove.
Original post by LucyTheWeird
All I know is that it is more likely for there to be no God than for there to be a God.
We know the universe exists, but don't know about anything before it; it's foolish to make guesses about something which we can never prove (as far as modern technology goes, anyway). I'm happy to take it as it is and say the universe spontaneously came into existence of its own accord (i.e. there was no creator) - because that's all we know and all we can prove.

If you asked me which is more likely, something having always existed and is eternal or something which created itself from absolutely nothing where nothing whatsoever existed before and is responsible for it's own existence... well I say they're both equally outrageous, yet one of them must be true.

It's mind crushing to try to imagine something like this, I can't see how you can possibly say one is more likely than the other when they're both equally incomprehensible to understand.
If you asked me which is more likely, something having always existed and is eternal or something which created itself from absolutely nothing where nothing whatsoever existed before and is responsible for it's own existence... well I say they're both equally outrageous, yet one of them must be true.

It's mind crushing to try to imagine something like this, I can't see how you can possibly say one is more likely than the other when they're both equally incomprehensible to understand.

The conclusion I draw is from basic maths.
Probability that the universe exists: 1
Probability that the universe exists AND was created: 0.5
If this is from the argument from causation, you can continue:
Probability that the universe and a creator and a creator creator exist: 0.3333333....
Probability that the universe and a creator and a creator creator creator exist: 0.25
etc.
(which is grossly oversimplifying and missing out other factors, but you get the picture.)
Add to that the fact that there is simply no proof for God, and only evidence for the big bang as a cause of the universe, it doesn't look good for the ol' fella in the sky.
First off I'd like to say that the fact that we are here to ask this question is evidence in itself that what I'm about to say is true. Many people know this already but not many people actually think about what it means.

People often say that if god created us then what created god, and then what created the thing that created god ect ect. This can be defined as:

HumansBigBangGodXYZ...Humans\rightarrow Big Bang\rightarrow God\rightarrow X \rightarrow Y \rightarrow Z\rightarrow...\infty

So immediately we can see a problem with this. If everything that exists needs a creator, then nothing can exist. Nothing can be created without a creator, so the initial creation can never happen. Unless of course at some point down the chain of creation we find something that has always existed, or something that can create itself from absolutely nothing.

So the fact that we are sitting here means that either one is true. Either something somewhere down the line has always existed "eternal", or that the first ever thing to start the chain of creation created itself from nothing that existed previously.

Think about it logically, whether this "thing" is god, energy or a 3 headed dragon on a unicycle is anyones guess.

Bottom line is if everything needs a creator, then we wouldn't be here to ask the question.

Thoughts?

(*)8(*)8(*i*)8(*)8(*)

U Can’t Have Peeks Without Also Having Troughs/.\./.\./*\./.\./.\C-Hat’s D Law Of(*)Off D Ying Yang, U Can’t Have Peeks & Troughs Without Also Having Space x Time 4D1 /*\rk Zen Pen RPE’s Sing Sang.

Cc-Hat’s YY Outer Infinity’s Galactic Crown Chakra THC Receptor Solar System Magic’s Did Ring Rang, D1 (R)*(T) Holy Spirit’s Vibrational Halo Trinity Drum & 1st Based Stitched Inns/*\Timed Thing Thang.

(*)8(*)8(*i*)8(*)8(*)

Similarly U Can’t Have A Ball Without Also Having A Hall 4A Game Of(*)Off Inner Universal Ping Pong, Star’s Universe Bonce Peeked 2B E=e Divided Inns/*\Words 4D1 Foo King’s Game Of(*)Off Mah-jong.

4D1 Philosophical Ball With\*/Inns/*\Slide\*/Out 4D1 Hall 2B Combine Harvested 4D1 String Strong, 4D1 Reverse Inns/*\Inflation Meditative State Inn’s/*\Timed Central Ally Mounted Biggy Small Bong.

(*)8(*)8(*i*)8(*)8(*)

4D1 Inns/*\Infinite (R)*(T) Holy Spirit’s Cosmic Library Processing Halo Trinity Galactic Crown Chakra, 2B Twinned “Quantum Entwined” With (Infinite(*)Infinity)’s 3D’-2B-1D’-K-now’s-Ledge Abracadabra.

2B4 Outer Infinity’s Real Milky Way Stitched Inns/*\Timed 4D1 Imaginational\*/Knowingness Strain, 2B 4D1 (R)*(T) Holy Spirit Halo Trinity X Mast Tree of)*(off Life Idea (*)Star Upon D1 Horizontal Plain.

(*)8(*)8(*i*)8(*)8(*)

4D1 (R)*(T) Holy Spirit Idea(*)Star Crystal Ball S-light Body Inns/*\Slide Ying Yang’s Meditative State, Naturally Enacted Nature’s RR-Rally His GOV. Story 4D /*\rk Zen Vibrational Carbon Chi Energy Slate.

2B 4D Waterwheel x Windmill x Lighthouse x Sail x Boat Analogy 4D Wigwam x Tepee x Temple Tree, 4D Inns/*\Infinite Intelligence 2B Shared E Equally 4D Witch C-Hat Watches Whilst A Crewing 4DRPE.

(*)8(*)8(*i*)8(*)8(*)

Designed, Entwined, Combined, Known, Enshrined & Defined,

Infinity’s Ark’s D.E.C.K.E.D. inn/*\side Infinity’s Arch obviously.

Its stall a load off crystal balls all being potted as mankind falls,

Don’t become a faller become a logically loving s-light installer.

(*)8(*)8(*i*)8(*)8(*)

\Oars/ Sin “less”,

ST. Hmmm

(*)8(*)8(*i*)8(*)8(*)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending