The Student Room Group

Best course of action for girl who seemed interested, not contacted this week?

Okay guys, I need help on making a decision.

So I've been flirting with this girl that I haven't met through text, Facebook and phoning and she's shown interest and responded playfully back.

I wanted to take her out and meet up, but she wants us to do FaceTime first, which I think is the right thing. But I'm confused with what to do, she's been acting hot and cold but I have a feeling it's because I have been too (so I don't appear too keen)

Anyway, I'll bullet point this in order:

- I send her a text "I want to talk to you but this dumb security guard won't let me into the zoo... any chance of you escaping? x". She replies "Oo oo ah ah ah 🙊"

- 3 days later I text "We're doing facetime at the weekend, unless you're too shy". She responds "I'm working all weekend babe!" then a 2nd text "I will FaceTime soon though". She was working Friday/Sunday evening and went to a friends 21st on Saturday.

- On Sunday afternoon I ask on twitter about what are those smiley face things. She replies on there with "😘😝😍☺😗😔😚😞😝😛😍😝😒😙😗" (if you can't see it's them emoji things, blowing kisses, etc)

- On the Monday I text "Busy today but tell me when you're free to do FaceTime x" and she responds "I'm working all week but should be free Friday". (I saw on Facebook she turned down her friend due to work commitments). I reply "Okay"

- So it's Friday 5pm and I text her a jokey opener "Aliens are coming to abduct all the handsome sexy people, so you'll be safe... just texting you to say goodbye 👽😏"

I've had no reply since. Although I saw later that evening she got tagged in a picture outside with her two girl mates, but then about 11pm she started tweeting to a few people and she was online on Facebook chat..

I'm not sure how to approach this. I feel like I may have been giving off mixed signals myself, which is why I haven't heard from her since Monday..

Should I get on with other things and wait for her to initiate? Or should I wait a few days and be direct with her saying I want to get to know her and not play games.

Or should I wait a few days and just text "just met your twin! You okay?". I don't want to seem clingy though, my gut says not to send another but part of me thinks the text I sent didn't warrant a reply? Then again if she was interested, she'd get in contact.

What you guys think, best option?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh, that's something I've forgotten.. whenever I joke in a cocky/funny way, she seems to either play along and call me out on my cockyness, or she ignores my cocky/funny joke. Noticed she does act a little off when I act in that way, maybe that's why she didn't respond to my joke.
Reply 2
Youve seemed too eager imo she probably thinks youre desperate. Nothing wrong with the texts youre sending its just to the wrong girl who's not appreciating them. You seem to be doing all the graft. I'd stop initiating and move onto the next one. If she's interested she'll initiate wondering why you haven't texted her for awhile wondering where the attention has gone. No girl is worth this much work if they arent giving back what you're putting in.
Reply 3
Original post by Xenonz
Youve seemed too eager imo she probably thinks youre desperate. Nothing wrong with the texts youre sending its just to the wrong girl who's not appreciating them. You seem to be doing all the graft. I'd stop initiating and move onto the next one. If she's interested she'll initiate wondering why you haven't texted her for awhile wondering where the attention has gone. No girl is worth this much work if they arent giving back what you're putting in.

So not worth one last try? I was going to go with the "bank robbery" text. How long should I wait until I remove her number and her twitter/facebook? I usually do this to get over a girl, don't like seeing their name pop up.
Reply 4
Original post by fmfan08
So not worth one last try? I was going to go with the "bank robbery" text. How long should I wait until I remove her number and her twitter/facebook? I usually do this to get over a girl, don't like seeing their name pop up.

I was in a similar situation a while ago. There was this girl that took ages to reply to me and always said she was busy. One day I was like shes not worth the effort im putting in and told her I dont get why she takes so long telling her i was annoyed. waited a couple months until I texted her again asking how she was and all that, but during those months I was talking to other girls meeting new people, moved on from her so I didn't keep on obsessing. Now it takes a couple of days for her to reply and once I just didnt reply because i got bored, 2 weeks later i get a text asking why I hadnt replied to her text.

You could send her another text but avoid always trying to be funny. Its good to be funny, but some people get bored of it after awhile and then you put pressure on yourself to always be funny and come up with stuff to say.

I dont think you should remove her at all. if anything it would benefit you keeping all that, letting her see you've moved on and what she possibly has missed out on. Also you never know she could be of use someday its always good to have acquaintances you keep in touch with once in awhile.

At the end of the day what I'm basically trying to say is dont get hooked on one girl. There are girls out there who'd appreciate the attention from you and you don't feel the need to change yourself for them. Its good to have more than one girl youre talking too, you dont obsess about just one person. Until you meet someone special.
Reply 5
Original post by Xenonz
I was in a similar situation a while ago. There was this girl that took ages to reply to me and always said she was busy. One day I was like shes not worth the effort im putting in and told her I dont get why she takes so long telling her i was annoyed. waited a couple months until I texted her again asking how she was and all that, but during those months I was talking to other girls meeting new people, moved on from her so I didn't keep on obsessing. Now it takes a couple of days for her to reply and once I just didnt reply because i got bored, 2 weeks later i get a text asking why I hadnt replied to her text.

You could send her another text but avoid always trying to be funny. Its good to be funny, but some people get bored of it after awhile and then you put pressure on yourself to always be funny and come up with stuff to say.

I dont think you should remove her at all. if anything it would benefit you keeping all that, letting her see you've moved on and what she possibly has missed out on. Also you never know she could be of use someday its always good to have acquaintances you keep in touch with once in awhile.

At the end of the day what I'm basically trying to say is dont get hooked on one girl. There are girls out there who'd appreciate the attention from you and you don't feel the need to change yourself for them. Its good to have more than one girl youre talking too, you dont obsess about just one person. Until you meet someone special.

Wise advice, I appreciate it. I'm not the sort of guy who dates multiple girls though, i'm lucky if I date one in the present time. Not because I'm bad looking, I get told I'm really good looking but it's more my confidence. The girls I usually like I'm more shy with, but if it's generally just a girl I'm not too keen on I'm fine, but I'd get bored of her after a while. But I am quite a shy person until I get a drink down me (which I'd rather avoid).

I know "being busy" is usually used as an excuse but she has been really busy with a second job and had nights planned out, I've seen that from her facebook and twitter where she's declined friend's invitations.

Regarding the response time, she usually responds very quickly, sometimes an hour. It's just been this week though, I'm not too sure what's happened. Maybe you're right about trying to be TOO funny.

I've been told to not initiate again, but I want to persist in the right way. I have given off mix signals myself such as being aloof so I don't seem more keen than her, especially last week.

What's the best thing to text her? I want to avoid a joke, but something more personal about how she's been, etc. If no response from that, I get my answer and move on.

I do want to remove her though if it doesn't work out, to avoid seeing her name pop up.. I know that she reacts to unfollows on Twitter, as I accidentally unfollowed her a while back after my phone ceased up and I pressed her instead and within 5-10 minutes she sent me a text. I think this might be a good idea that if she does respond to me deleting her, I'll keep it casual and say "I thought you weren't interested" or something, rather than act whiny.
Reply 6
Original post by fmfan08
Wise advice, I appreciate it. I'm not the sort of guy who dates multiple girls though, i'm lucky if I date one in the present time. Not because I'm bad looking, I get told I'm really good looking but it's more my confidence. The girls I usually like I'm more shy with, but if it's generally just a girl I'm not too keen on I'm fine, but I'd get bored of her after a while. But I am quite a shy person until I get a drink down me (which I'd rather avoid).

I know "being busy" is usually used as an excuse but she has been really busy with a second job and had nights planned out, I've seen that from her facebook and twitter where she's declined friend's invitations.

Regarding the response time, she usually responds very quickly, sometimes an hour. It's just been this week though, I'm not too sure what's happened. Maybe you're right about trying to be TOO funny.

I've been told to not initiate again, but I want to persist in the right way. I have given off mix signals myself such as being aloof so I don't seem more keen than her, especially last week.

What's the best thing to text her? I want to avoid a joke, but something more personal about how she's been, etc. If no response from that, I get my answer and move on.

I do want to remove her though if it doesn't work out, to avoid seeing her name pop up.. I know that she reacts to unfollows on Twitter, as I accidentally unfollowed her a while back after my phone ceased up and I pressed her instead and within 5-10 minutes she sent me a text. I think this might be a good idea that if she does respond to me deleting her, I'll keep it casual and say "I thought you weren't interested" or something, rather than act whiny.

I wouldn't text her. You've been texting pretty much all the time, and she seems to be responding in pretty lame ways. Also all you seem to do is joke, maybe you could actually talk about something? But my advice would be to stop talking and wait for her. If she's at least a bit interested in you, she'll message you. If not then just move on. You don't need to delete her but no need to message her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ZRO
I wouldn't text her. You've been texting pretty much all the time, and she seems to be responding in pretty lame ways. Also all you seem to do is joke, maybe you could actually talk about something? But my advice would be to stop talking and wait for her. If she's at least a bit interested in you, she'll message you. If not then just move on. You don't need to delete her but no need to message her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have been joking too much, maybe that's the problem. I am tempted to just message something personal though and have more of a conversation. If she reacts lame or doesn't react to that either, then my answer is obvious. I have nothing to lose either by trying.

Could be a chance I'm overthinking it or getting the wrong end and that she's been waiting on me to talk on a more personal level than joke all the time. If she's interested, she'll have to respond to my personal questions, etc. Think of it, if I leave it after the weekend and do it this way, I'll get my answer whether she's interested or not.

There might be more to it, she might be confused where she stands with me. I'll probably never know unless I be direct or I remove her and she asks why, then I say what I've been assuming, i.e "I thought you wasn't interested"

If a conversation develops, I can end it by saying I have to go, then let HER initiate the next time instead.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Now I've been thinking about it, why the hell am I rewarding her with MORE attention after she flaked on facetime? If she was bloody well interested, she'd have sent me something. We used to initiate 50/50, she'd sometimes send me something random like a little monkey emoticon, etc. So if she's interested, she can initiate. I did my part, she didn't reply. She could have responded "hahaha" or something rather than be ignorant..

I'm gonna leave it until Wednesday and focus on other things. Someone suggested I remove her off Twitter first (her most used), then Facebook the next day, then her number. If she gets back to me about it, I'll act laid back and say "Well I thought you wasn't interested".
Reply 9
Original post by fmfan08

Dating isnt what I was really getting at. I meant just get numbers on nights out with friends learn to text girls and keep them interested and learn to flirt a bit, you never know you might even end up liking the person then think about dating. All i meant was being friendly with people, to build up confidence. I was pretty much like you probably still am. I only date one person at a time but there is nothing wrong with meeting new girls you dont date every girl you meet do you?
You sound pretty much like me though. You dont want to give all your attention to one girl and possibly miss out on someone better. After meeting a few girls on nights outs and texting them ive finally found a girl who i really like and shes my girlfriend now.

People say they are busy, but cant they spare a couple minutes during the day just to talk to you? If they really liked you they would make time for you. Reading a text and sending a text doesnt take that long. If they are interested they'd make time for you.

Do you know much about her like her interests? Id wait a week, then out of the blue say something like "Hey haven't heard from you for awhile, how you been? [Bring up something you know she'd be interested in]"
Waiting a week will give you more stuff to talk about if she replies.
You could also just be direct with her about your true feelings, for example like what you said tell her you thought she wasnt interested if she asks if theres something wrong.
Also instead of constantly texting you could just make plans to meet up.
Reply 10
Original post by Xenonz
Dating isnt what I was really getting at. I meant just get numbers on nights out with friends learn to text girls and keep them interested and learn to flirt a bit, you never know you might even end up liking the person then think about dating. All i meant was being friendly with people, to build up confidence. I was pretty much like you probably still am. I only date one person at a time but there is nothing wrong with meeting new girls you dont date every girl you meet do you?
You sound pretty much like me though. You dont want to give all your attention to one girl and possibly miss out on someone better. After meeting a few girls on nights outs and texting them ive finally found a girl who i really like and shes my girlfriend now.

People say they are busy, but cant they spare a couple minutes during the day just to talk to you? If they really liked you they would make time for you. Reading a text and sending a text doesnt take that long. If they are interested they'd make time for you.

Do you know much about her like her interests? Id wait a week, then out of the blue say something like "Hey haven't heard from you for awhile, how you been? [Bring up something you know she'd be interested in]"
Waiting a week will give you more stuff to talk about if she replies.
You could also just be direct with her about your true feelings, for example like what you said tell her you thought she wasnt interested if she asks if theres something wrong.
Also instead of constantly texting you could just make plans to meet up.

Yeah, I haven't heard from her since Monday though, so it's already hitting a week. Someone suggested to me that she might have been offended by my "alien joke" by assuming she's not attractive. Now that I think about it, I can see what they mean.

So by that, I'm thinking of asking how she's been after the weekend. If no reply still, I'll remove her. For some reason, she's the type to take offence if a friend or someone she talks to removes her. She'll question why they did that. So if she does with me, I'll be direct and say "Well I wanted to get to know you more, but I assumed you wasn't interested".
(edited 10 years ago)
doesn't seem like she's that interested...
Reply 12
Original post by Sophie_girl
doesn't seem like she's that interested...

She was the other week though, which is what I don't get.
Original post by fmfan08
She was the other week though, which is what I don't get.

those replies you put in the first post don't point towards her being interested. anyway things can change but if she wanted to contact you she would have, i wouldn't send another text.
Reply 14
Original post by fmfan08
Yeah, I haven't heard from her since Monday though, so it's already hitting a week. Someone suggested to me that she might have been offended by my "alien joke" by assuming she's not attractive. Now that I think about it, I can see what they mean.

So by that, I'm thinking of asking how she's been after the weekend. If no reply still, I'll remove her. For some reason, she's the type to take offence if a friend or someone she talks to removes her. She'll question why they did that. So if she does with me, I'll be direct and say "Well I wanted to get to know you more, but I assumed you wasn't interested".

The thing with banter is there has to be a balance. Some girls take stuff to hurt too easily. Girls who are secure with themselves will banter back and it can be fun, but some arent so secure so you have to be considerate sometimes. you just have to gage the sort of person they are. So if you're going to do jokes like the alien one make sure you also let her know she's beautiful etc. It doesnt have to be right after an ugly joke but sometime during the day compliment her. That way she definitely knows youre joking.

Maybe its just me but I dont see why you need to delete her off your facebook or twitter. Its not like she was your girlfriend. I think keeping her has more benefits than you deleting her.
Reply 15
They were some excruciatingly bad jokes to be fair...
Reply 16
Original post by Sophie_girl
those replies you put in the first post don't point towards her being interested. anyway things can change but if she wanted to contact you she would have, i wouldn't send another text.

Maybe she never liked me at all and I'm kidding myself but she mentioned I was on her mind and she was very playful. But she goes from wanting us to do facetime one week (her idea) to not the next week. She could have suggested she was busy and left it at that, but for some reason gave me an alternate date. Maybe I left it too late in the day to contact, who knows..

She was genuinely busy, but as people have said, it takes less than a couple of minutes to reply to a text.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Xenonz
The thing with banter is there has to be a balance. Some girls take stuff to hurt too easily. Girls who are secure with themselves will banter back and it can be fun, but some arent so secure so you have to be considerate sometimes. you just have to gage the sort of person they are. So if you're going to do jokes like the alien one make sure you also let her know she's beautiful etc. It doesnt have to be right after an ugly joke but sometime during the day compliment her. That way she definitely knows youre joking.

Maybe its just me but I dont see why you need to delete her off your facebook or twitter. Its not like she was your girlfriend. I think keeping her has more benefits than you deleting her.

Hmm, so would it be wise to text her one day "Hello beautiful" instead of say hello cheeky? Obviously to assure it was a joke. Obviously this is a genuine compliment, I do find her beautiful.

The deleting thing is just an "out of sight, out of mind" thing. Guess it helps with my ego partially.

What makes you think it would have more benefits? If she's going to end up ignoring me fully, I don't understand what you mean by that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by fmfan08
Hmm, so would it be wise to text her one day "Hello beautiful" instead of say hello cheeky? Obviously to assure it was a joke.

The deleting thing is just an "out of sight, out of mind" thing. Guess it helps with my ego partially.

What makes you think it would have more benefits? If she's going to end up ignoring me fully, I don't understand what you mean by that.

You can tell her shes beautiful but make it personal to her what makes her beautiful to you? I'd probably leave that until later until you know shes interested. Girls like it when they know you've been thinking about them, that they were on your mind. Simple text like Recently thought about you how have you been could be enough to start a convo. Id make this the last text though if she doesnt respond at all or in a way that you like that shows shes still interested.

If the girl can see you have moved on and they were indeed interested, it could annoy them more that they missed an opportunity and could lead to them getting in touch with you again happens sometimes. And you dont have to have a thing with everyone girl its good to surround yourself with some female friends too. well this part is just my opinion youre free to delete her and move on.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Xenonz
You can tell her shes beautiful but make it personal to her what makes her beautiful to you? I'd probably leave that until later until you know shes interested. Girls like it when they know you've been thinking about them, that they were on your mind. Simple text like Recently thought about you how have you been could be enough to start a convo. Id make this the last text though if she doesnt respond at all or in a way that you like that shows shes still interested.

If the girl can see you have moved on and they were indeed interested, it could annoy them more that they missed an opportunity and could lead to them getting in touch with you again happens sometimes. And you dont have to have a thing with everyone girl its good to surround yourself with some female friends too. well this part is just my opinion youre free to delete her and move on.

Yeah, she'll most likely question why I deleted her anyway.

I was going to say "You have a beautiful smile" and keep it simple but as you say, it would have been better when I know she's interested. The thing is, I dally about too much and never get my feelings across. I'm honestly tempted to just risk it and be direct with her by saying that. But then again, compliment should only be deserved if the interest is reciprocated.

I think saying "Recently thought about you.. how have you been?" with an emoticon might be a better way for now as you say. It also should be the only message I send, but I should give it a good three days or so before I go deleting. Depends how I feel.

Feeling slightly gutted at the thought of being used but I'm on the verge of being more peeved off by her recent actions, so I could probably get over it pretty quick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending