Physics AQA A units 1-3. What did you think???

Watch
ali p
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Personally I thought unit 1 was great, unit 2 was TERRIBLE (the skateboarder question :confused:) and unit 3 was alright. What did everyone else think???
vultac
Badges: 0
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 15 years ago
hahaha mod3 was cool love it
hhhhhhhhhhppppp
Badges: 2
Report 15 years ago
unit three was PERFECT i hope i got 100% in it.

unit two was slightly dodgy. I didn't get the last bit of the moments question and the skateboarder one was quite weird. But hopefully I scraped an A in it
jazznaz
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Unit 1 was awesome...

So many simple calculations and the 'wordier' questions on the quantum stuff...

I knew Unit 3 was going to be good as soon as I saw the first question on labelling a V/I diagram for a diode for 4 marks...
stoney
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
only did 2 and 3 today, 3 was kool i thought and so was 2. Don't worry my mate and a few others (therefore probably quite a few this year) have been thrown by the skateboarder question. The only one i screwed up on was the one about what effect different types of molecules would have on eachothers speeds in the lung but i think describing that was only worth like 2 marks or something lol
username62978
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Module 1 was great, module 3 was less great but still fine - only a few odd questions. Namely...

The one where it asked to find the energy dissipated in two hours (Two different formulae on the data sheet gave two different answers - I used P=Q/t and got 5.18x10^7J)

[Same question], where it asked to determine what would happen to the current through the motor, and the time that the battery could run for, if internal resistances were taken into account (I think i put lower current and shorter time - not sure)

Where it asked to say which Voltage sensitivity setting would be best - I put 5V, by cancellation, and stated that 7.5 Volts was the peak voltage, and that this was the only setting that this could be read on.

What did everyone else get?
r0manticide17
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Im not sure really. I know i really messed mod three up, but i thought mod two was quite easy. I had no idea about all the voltage stuff, especially the rms. Oh well, over and done with. Do you still get method marks, even if the answer was wrong?
Troyes
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by username62978)
Module 1 was great, module 3 was less great but still fine - only a few odd questions. Namely...

The one where it asked to find the energy dissipated in two hours (Two different formulae on the data sheet gave two different answers - I used P=Q/t and got 5.18x10^7J)

[Same question], where it asked to determine what would happen to the current through the motor, and the time that the battery could run for, if internal resistances were taken into account (I think i put lower current and shorter time - not sure)

Where it asked to say which Voltage sensitivity setting would be best - I put 5V, by cancellation, and stated that 7.5 Volts was the peak voltage, and that this was the only setting that this could be read on.

What did everyone else get?
For the Energy part you had to use W=Pt not P=Q/t since P is power not energy.

And for the Voltage sensitivity you had to put 1V per div as the sinusodal wave would then fill up most of the screen and it would be easier to observe the wave and take measurements.
Last edited by RK; 1 year ago
firestone
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Troyes)
And for the Voltage sensitivity you had to put 1V per div as the sinusodal wave would then fill up most of the screen and it would be easier to observe the wave and take measurements.
:confused: But if you used 1V per div then the wave wouldn't actually fit onto the screen...?
username62978
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
For the Energy part you had to use W=Pt not P=Q/t since P is power not energy.

I meant P=E/t (That's what I put)

For voltage sensitivity, if the setting were 1V/div, then only about half the waveform would show. There were four divisions either side of the mid point, and the peak voltage of the A/C was 7.5V (Vrms=5.3). If you used 1V/div it wouln't fit. Therefore you had to go for the next smallest one, 5v. No?
Mr power
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
the exam was rubbish, i h8 physics
Troyes
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by firestone)
:confused: But if you used 1V per div then the wave wouldn't actually fit onto the screen...?
Yes it would. The Voltage was 2.7 volts so, each "square" is 1 volt. And there were about 4-5 squares in the screen. So the wave would take up nearly 3 squares (2.7 volts) and thus nearly most of the screen.
Troyes
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by username62978)
I meant P=E/t (That's what I put)

For voltage sensitivity, if the setting were 1V/div, then only about half the waveform would show. There were four divisions either side of the mid point, and the peak voltage of the A/C was 7.5V (Vrms=5.3). If you used 1V/div it wouln't fit. Therefore you had to go for the next smallest one, 5v. No?
I think I remember my value to be 2.7 volts. I have no idea why we got different answers. I've completely forgotten the question.
Last edited by RK; 1 year ago
firestone
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Yes it would. The Voltage was 2.7 volts so, each "square" is 1 volt. And there were about 4-5 squares in the screen. So the wave would take up nearly 3 squares (2.7 volts) and thus nearly most of the screen.
I got the rms voltage as 5.something volts, so the peak voltage would have been even higher. There were four squares either side of the centre vertically, so the rms voltage wouldn't even fit let alone the peak voltage...
Troyes
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Could someone tell us what they put for that question? So if someone else also says they put 5v per div then I'll know I'm wrong. I've completely forgotten the question. All I remember is putting 1V per div.
username62978
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
I got 5.3V for rms and 7.5v for peak voltage
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Could someone tell us what they put for that question? So if someone else also says they put 5v per div then I'll know I'm wrong. I've completely forgotten the question. All I remember is putting 1V per div.
Sadly youre wrong, I got the same as the post above me

Dont worry, concentrate on your next exams.
firestone
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Uh-oh...did we actually have to calculate the peak voltage?
username62978
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by firestone)
Uh-oh...did we actually have to calculate the peak voltage?
Nah, we didn't have to calculate peak voltage. I just did it becasuse the question confused me a bit. It helped my argument that it wouldn't fit on the screen.

I don't think it was expected.

crankycaz
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
I think you did have to calculate peak voltage to work out what div to use. I was just daft on that and used my Vrms value of 5.31 and then because of that said to use 1V per div so it would provide a decent sized trace. However, should've worked out the peak voltage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.92%
Okay (109)
29.22%
A bit lacking (138)
37%
Not good at all (89)
23.86%

Watched Threads