How to learn to fight like Jackie Chan? Watch

Venturian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Well, basically, as the title says, and how long would it take to learn it too?
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
Use wikihow, and about 4 days 12 hours 19 minutes and 2 seconds, tops.
Venturian
Rep:
?
No way that it would take that amount of time. It would be much longer, ie more years to learn it. Serious replies only please.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
4 miles.
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To fight like Jackie Chan (used to), take a look at local martial arts schools for Karate and/or Kung Fu lessions. Without knowing your current fitness, flexibility and stuff, it's impossible to up a time on how long it would take you to learn it to that level of skill. If you worked hard and completely dedicated yourself to it, perhaps 5-8 years, but that is a stretch.

Bear in mind Katate and Kung Fu are martial ARTS, and not necessarily effective combat techniques in today's society. If you want to learn a combat style for effectiveness, as opposed to a martial art for show and performance, then take a look at Krav Maga and MCMAP. In real life, nobody conveniently waits in line to get a flying kick to the face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Venturian
Rep:
?
Why are people not giving serious answers? I know you want me to fit your image you have of me as a troll, but, if someone who was well respected on this forum posted it, I'm sure he/she would receive serious replies, which I don't think is fair at all, because I post just as constructive threads/posts as they would. I really don't want to use the report button today. EDIT: Just seen the above post, at last, a mature response.
Venturian
Rep:
?
(Original post by XMaramena)
To fight like Jackie Chan (used to), take a look at local martial arts schools for Karate and/or Kung Fu lessions. Without knowing your current fitness, flexibility and stuff, it's impossible to up a time on how long it would take you to learn it to that level of skill. If you worked hard and completely dedicated yourself to it, perhaps 5-8 years, but that is a stretch.

Bear in mind Katate and Kung Fu are martial ARTS, and not necessarily effective combat techniques in today's society. If you want to learn a combat style for effectiveness, as opposed to a martial art for show and performance, then take a look at Krav Maga and MCMAP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, this is a good answer, thanks for the serious reply. Would Krav Maga and MCMAP be good for self defense as well?
Maid Marian
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Venturian)
Why are people not giving serious answers? I know you want me to fit your image you have of me as a troll, but, if someone who was well respected on this forum posted it, I'm sure he/she would receive serious replies, which I don't think is fair at all, because I post just as constructive threads/posts as they would. I really don't want to use the report button today.
But why do you need to know how to fight like Jackie Chan? :erm:
miser
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Jackie Chan spent his youth training severely in acrobatics and martial arts in a Peking opera school, and has trained in a variety of martial arts his whole life. In his films, he predominantly uses kung-fu, so you might consider joining a local kung-fu school, though the ship has probably sailed on catching up to Jackie Chan's ability.
Venturian
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maid Marian)
But why do you need to know how to fight like Jackie Chan? :erm:
He is well respected across the world, I'm sure many youngsters look upto him and would like to fight like him. For self defence of course.
holasenorita1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
don't know but wold love to fight like him
Venturian
Rep:
?
(Original post by miser)
Jackie Chan spent his youth training severely in acrobatics and martial arts in a Peking opera school, and has trained in a variety of martial arts his whole life. In his films, he predominantly uses kung-fu, so you might consider joining a local kung-fu school, though the ship has probably sailed on catching up to Jackie Chan's ability.
I see. Now, I'm a dunce when it comes to martial arts, because I have had no experience of it, what do you think is the best way to learn more about it?
Maid Marian
Report 5 years ago
He is well respected across the world, I'm sure many youngsters look upto him and would like to fight like him. For self defence of course.
Oookay Well, I'm sure there's some Jackie Chan club out there somewhere that you can join and they'll teach you :dontknow:
Entangled
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go to Hong Kong. If Jackie Chan and Sleeping Dogs have taught me anything it's that Hong Kong constantly lives in one big Kung Fu film.
H0PEL3SS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, basically, as the title says, and how long would it take to learn it too?
Pick a martial art. You don't have to do everything Jackie Chan did. He is a great fighter and all (I myself admire him) but pick a martial art that suits you. Research various ones and look at the style i.e. Akido is based on throws and holds mostly, while Wing Chun focuses on counter attacking and efficiency.
The best way to learn is to try, so you'll build experience as you go.
As to how long.. How long is a piece of string? How much time can you dedicate to learning a martial art?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My advice would be to not try this first, before taking all the other lessons.

Venturian
Rep:
?
Well, judging by the thread it's evident I'm going to research martial-arts in general before trying anything.
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fight like him? Several years.
People aren't giving you serious answers cause this is a bit of a pointless thread which can resolved by googling him and looking up what type of Martial arts he did, then going to a training center nearby.
After7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well first off claim that you're 'not looking for any trouble' but if s*** gets serious then you'll need to be able to transform surrounding props into weapons. I'd recommend sparring in a shopping center. Once you get advanced you can practice fighting while trying not to drop an invaluable object like a vase.
SamW78
Report 5 years ago
It's such an open question, it depends on many things.

Some people may have a natural aptitude for martial arts, if you are good at dancing then that is the case.

Then there's the numerous types of martial arts out there with differing philosophies and styles, some of which may be suited to your personal attributes and likes, therefore you'll take to a particular style quicker.

The name kung fu is just an umbrella name for Chinese martial arts, there are hundreds of Chinese styles that differ, e.g wing chun is about hitting and blocking at the same time & straight lines, tai chi is more internal and about circular movements, also about cultivating chi energy.

There's no short cuts other than intense training, how much time can you dedicate to it? Once a week for an hour and it's probably going to be 10 years, although there are many places that do intense shaolin training in China, here you live like a monk for several months and do it everyday for hours on end.

http://www.shaolinskungfu.com/

Why do you want to fight like Jackie anyway? He's old now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.19%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.71%
No, but I want to start (171)
35.7%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.38%
No, I chose not to (139)
29.02%