The Student Room Group

Are Ray Bans worth the money ?

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a pair of Ray Ban Wayfarers but am not sure if they are worth the money. I usually just buy a cheap pair, but they keep falling apart after a few months. If I bought Ray Bans I would expect them to last years. Has anybody got a pair ? What is the quality like ? Do you consider them a good investment ? Thanks
As long at the lenses have 100% UV protection they'll do the same job. Are they worth the money in that they are £200+ when you can get decent ones for a quarter of the price that will last as long and do the same job? No. But it's a fashion statement eh? Why do we buy Ralph Lauren over Puma? I'm sure a social psychologist can come along and tell us soon :smile:

Personally, I love them. Buy them!
No
Reply 3
I've got some Wayfarers, I won them about 6 years ago and they've only just broken (my own fault, and they will be fixed!). I'd say they're worth it if you wear sunglasses a lot, they are good quality but as someone who hardly wears sunglasses I wouldn't have bought them myself.
Reply 4
No. You're basically paying for the name. There's loaaadsss of sunglasses that look like ray bans, just without the name tag.
As someone else has said, they're worth it if you wear sunglasses a lot.

I have some Wayfarers. I think they cost about £120? Got them three years ago and the quality is far higher than any others I've worn.
I have a pair I got as a present ages ago. Tbh I don't find them any better than the fake ones I got in Greece for 5 euros!
Reply 7
Are they hell, i highly doubt the average person can really tell whether they're fake or not
My Dad has some, they are good quality and he has had them years. They won't fall apart like cheap ones but even expensive glasses a still delicate objects, if you step on them they will break, if you drop them they will scratch. The reason expensive sunglasses last longer is because people look after them more.

If you are just looking at it like an investment then it is not worth it. The reason people buy expensive sunglasses (and clothes, watches, jewllery, handbags etc) is not because they last longer, that in itself doesn't justify spending so much but because they appreciate the quality in itself. When you handle nice sunglasses and put them on you can really tell the difference in quality and even though they might not protect your eyes much more, its nice to know you have good sunglasses and not crappy ones on your face.
Reply 9
Ive had my Ray ban mirror aviators for over a year now, worth every cent :cool: they're awesome!
Original post by Hassan1299
Ive recently purchased a pair of Raybans. Are they worth £210? I'm not sure. But like anything its a great fashion statement like said before. Why would you drive a Mercedes rather than a Nissan Micra, when both get you from A to B. Nice glasses to have

That's not a good comparison and this thread is five years old.
Absolutely, I’ve got two pairs of ray-bans, a pair of carbon-techs’ I bought for about £300 4 years ago and they’re pretty good.
The other is a pair of gold B & L Ray-Bans aviators passed doen starting with my great-grandfather who bought in celebration to WWII ending in 1947. I still wear them to this day and they’re like they were when they first came off the shelf bar some scuffs. If that’s not testiment enough to them then I don’t know what could be.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest