The Student Room Group

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hazel_jg
Since July?! That's pretty hardcore. What's the distance between you guys? You'll be so happy when you see him again :smile:

It's 6 hours on the train, though I'm not too sure how many miles it is or anything like that. York to Exeter must be something like 300 miles though, haha. (I just Googled it - 300 miles. :tongue:)
Original post by Holby_fanatic
It's 6 hours on the train, though I'm not too sure how many miles it is or anything like that. York to Exeter must be something like 300 miles though, haha. (I just Googled it - 300 miles. :tongue:)

I feel your pain! I'm Bristol to Hull and I think that's hard enough! Out of interest why do you see eachother so little, is it because of money issues, busy Uni/work shedules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ColouredTights
I feel your pain! I'm Bristol to Hull and I think that's hard enough! Out of interest why do you see eachother so little, is it because of money issues, busy Uni/work shedules?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bristol-Hull is still quite a distance! I feel your pain too. :tongue:

Ummmm, this summer it was due to him having a full-time job (he took a gap year) and me having only £10 left of my overdraft. Then he went away, then he started university and I wanted him to fully settle in and make friends, then I started my weekend job so I couldn't really take time off so early on, then I returned to university. And now here we are with me messing up booking time off, potentially ruining my plan to go down there on the 8th November (Though I think I've sorted this now...). :lol:

I think some supernatural force was like, "You can't see each other for ages!!"

And I won't see him in December because he's going in holiday with his family and I'm stuck in York throughout the entire Christmas period. (I'm even spending Christmas day alone while my family are back home in Wales.)
Oh well, only another 3 years of this. :tongue:

P.S. Sorry for the mini essay this has become. :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Saw my Bf on the weekend after 3 weeks. It was really nice to see him. (yet weird cos he's at uni and this situation is so new to us both). We had a talk about us because he has doubts... I don't blame him as a LDR is something you need to be 100% sure about. I had doubts a few weeks ago but now I just have to get over it and just stop complaining. It made me really upset he had these doubts - but he still wants to try and work this out. His main concern is that he wants me to be happy - and he feels that he's too busy too talk to me which will result me in being upset. But I understand he's busy but recently we've been arguing loads (over petty stuff) and its frustrating us both.

One quick question - is it weird if it annoys me that he checks his phone and doesn't answer my message? even hours later.. no reply, despite him being on his phone a few times throughout these few hours. I understand he might read it whilst being busy - but surely if you're that busy you wouldn't check your phone at all? Or am I just overthinking? Thanks

Anyone? :frown:
Moving to my boyfriend's city is pretty much all I dream about these days. I'm forever fed up of where I live, need a change, and hate doing long distance, so moving to him is pretty much a no brainer. The crappy job market all over the UK doesn't make it easy to become financially dependent and save up for it though :frown:. But I'm up for a challenge, constantly applying for many jobs in my town and also his. Also entering competitions with big cash prizes, which I know are a long shot, hehe, but worth a try :daydreaming:
Hey peeps!

Need advice. Its coming up to mine and my boyfriend's fifth anniversary and I have no clue what to get him. We have been long distance for the whole 5 years and we have learnt to cope. We have planned to get a hotel somewhere we have never been for Christmas for a few days (like Edinburgh) and that's where we will swap gifts.
Over the years I have gotten him pretty much everything (I think) that a gf could get - photo albums, frames, clothes, books (he's a star wars fan), trips to concerts, red letter days, gadgets, music, guitar, etc... So I have no idea what to get.

Any ideas are very much welcome!
Reply 786
Original post by Holby_fanatic

I'm Leeds to Brighton, I think it's around 250 miles. It's 4 hours on the train, but I really like train journeys for some reason
Original post by hazel_jg
I'm Leeds to Brighton, I think it's around 250 miles. It's 4 hours on the train, but I really like train journeys for some reason

I love long train journeys! It takes me 5.5 hours to go home to visit my family from York so to be honest I'm not really bothered by it. Serious life decisions have been made on trains. :tongue:
Just said goodbye to my boyfriend and the goodbyes never really get any easier.
Original post by pinkbullets
Just said goodbye to my boyfriend and the goodbyes never really get any easier.

:hugs: they never do, saying goodbye is always the worst bit when seeing them :sadnod: :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Been together for nearly 2 years and my boyfriend went to uni 2 weeks ago while I'm staying at home. Got a call this week telling me that he doesn't think things will work out. He's coming home at the weekend to talk to me about it. I'm just so shocked and gutted ������ he's my first love and I don't want to lose him but I think it's inevitable we'll break up. I guess the first break up is the hardest.
I usually lurk on this thread, but I'm having one of those days..

I am really missing my bf. We've not seen each other for months in the past but I now find being away from him for just a week so painfully difficult. I last saw him 4 weeks ago and I don't think I'll be seeing him for a while as we're both very busy. Sighhhh.

Why does it not get any easier?! It just seems to get harder and harder as time goes on :frown:
Original post by DinosaursGoRawr
I usually lurk on this thread, but I'm having one of those days..

I am really missing my bf. We've not seen each other for months in the past but I now find being away from him for just a week so painfully difficult. I last saw him 4 weeks ago and I don't think I'll be seeing him for a while as we're both very busy. Sighhhh.

Why does it not get any easier?! It just seems to get harder and harder as time goes on :frown:

Try to focus on all of the things you're doing that are keeping you busy. I'm just chucking myself into my work which helps to take my mind off of missing him (and is probably beneficial to by studies too!) Maybe try and set a date when you can see each other or plan something nice to do in the Christmas holidays as having something concrete to look forward to helps.
I miss him so much.
Its been 2 weeks since we've broken up... I just want him back. I love him so much, i've lost my best friend and my boyfriend and everything is so ****.
Original post by ChelseyElla
Try to focus on all of the things you're doing that are keeping you busy. I'm just chucking myself into my work which helps to take my mind off of missing him (and is probably beneficial to by studies too!) Maybe try and set a date when you can see each other or plan something nice to do in the Christmas holidays as having something concrete to look forward to helps.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do! But I still find my mind wanders.. Definitely just need to keep busy. I think having something to look forward to will definitely help - think I'll give that a shot! Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
I miss him so much.
Its been 2 weeks since we've broken up... I just want him back. I love him so much, i've lost my best friend and my boyfriend and everything is so ****.

*Hugs*. I'm sorry, I don't know what else to say.
I leave America on Tuesday :biggrin: Arrive back in Europe on Wednesday (time difference is so screwy), and I will see my boyfriend on Friday! I feel that the days until Tuesday will just drag, I'm coming towards the end of my work and so I don't have quite as much to distract me as before (apart from Netflix :wink: ) We've been apart since August, so I can't wait to see him.

*hugs* to everyone who has broken up, or who is struggling. LDRs are hard work, I empathise so much.
Think it will be over soon :frown:

Recently his communication has been awful - even when he does have time to talk to me it's really blunt. He said hes unhappy about something but won't tell me what and it's so so annoying (it isn't about us, though, that's all I know). I want to help him but I don't know what it's about. He said our relationship is the last thing on our mind so it must be something huge.

Not sure what to do. I'm not giving up just yet but I don't understand how his feelings can change so quickly when last weekend he said he still wants to be together. It's as if he's drifting away from me because that's the easy way of breaking up. UGH. Help?

2 years down the drain...
Reply 798
Hey guys,

I don't know if I qualify being on this thread - my boyfriend is 1/1.5 hours away and I know most of you are far further so I recognise it may not count! but to me it feels long distance :P

Hadn't read the thread for ages but now I've just caught up on like 10 pages of posts and it is just so reassuring to know that other people are going through the same things and feelings :O I've actually been really surprised by coming to uni at how many people are in LDR's or at least in relationships with someone not at our uni. And of course this thread is so good!

I just wanted to say thanks to you all for making this process so much easier and feeling like I'm not alone in this!

<3
Reply 799
Original post by alexgee
Hey guys,

I don't know if I qualify being on this thread - my boyfriend is 1/1.5 hours away and I know most of you are far further so I recognise it may not count! but to me it feels long distance :P

Hadn't read the thread for ages but now I've just caught up on like 10 pages of posts and it is just so reassuring to know that other people are going through the same things and feelings :O I've actually been really surprised by coming to uni at how many people are in LDR's or at least in relationships with someone not at our uni. And of course this thread is so good!

I just wanted to say thanks to you all for making this process so much easier and feeling like I'm not alone in this!

<3

That's how far away my boyfriend and I are when I am back home. Its an annoying drive but well worth it. Usually drive to him (his house has more privacy) and spend a few nights before returning home. Or drive up 2 times a week for just a night if our schedules are hectic.

~~~~~~

Having a hard time this weekend missing my boyfriend. Haven't seen him in 5 weeks and have another 8 weeks until we get a 3 week winter break together. Being across the ocean is so hard. Luckily we skype a lot but its not the same. Just can't wait to be in his arms again.:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending