The Student Room Group

Any students dealing with chronic pain?

Hello. I was wondering if anyone is successfully managing chronic pain while studying at university? I'm sort of at a crossroads at the moment, in that I am not sure whether to return to my studies or not. I completed my first year, but struggled immensely through the second and didn't complete the year in the end. I took a year off, and have improved somewhat but not pain free. I really do want to go back this year, but my course is very demanding and long, and i'm not recovered as I hoped. :frown: Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Health is important. Without it, life is like a glass half empty. I don't have chronic pain, so I would never presume try and say I can truly empathize with your situation. I will, however, say that I feel it would be worse to force your body to deal with stress you can't handle. This is especially true if it could exacerbate your condition and cause issues getting a job with the education you paid for. Also, your grades may not be a reflection of your true potential. Just my thoughts. Sorry that you are in this position. =/
Hi
I have just finished my first year at uni and I suffer with chronic pain. You can get a lot of support (I have help with lifting, carrying and moving things and also a special supportive chair). I have loved it, and yeah it's been tough but it has been manageable. My course is pretty intense too. The way I cope is by doing assignments as early as possible when I have them as I don't know how bad my pain will be near deadlines and I don't want to be stressing about it and definitely am unable to pull all nighters to get work finished.
My attitude is that I can either stop doing anything and spend all day every day in bed and still be in pain or I can get out and enjoy and live my life and keep active and yeah it's painful but actually pushing on and being at uni is a good way to try and distract from the pain. I don't know of course though your exact situation and so it may be different from you. One option which I nearly but didn't in the end take at college is to do the course over more years than you are supposed to, to lighten the load. I know that sometimes unis will let students with disabilities do that but still stay registered as full time students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ViolinGirl
Hello. I was wondering if anyone is successfully managing chronic pain while studying at university? I'm sort of at a crossroads at the moment, in that I am not sure whether to return to my studies or not. I completed my first year, but struggled immensely through the second and didn't complete the year in the end. I took a year off, and have improved somewhat but not pain free. I really do want to go back this year, but my course is very demanding and long, and i'm not recovered as I hoped. :frown: Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,
Let me start off by saying sorry to hear you have struggled with pain and have had to take a year off uni. (what course? uni?)
I'm afraid I can't really give much advice as I don't start uni until September. However I can understand where you are coming from and even before I start I start uni I am having similar apprehensions as you.
I have had chronic pain for years and I'm terrified it is going to effect my work and attendance throughout my course. It really effected my schooling which is why I'm now off to uni at 22 after having to complete an access as I had limited qualifications.
Would anything like a chair support or a special bag from DSA be of any use? I know it's not going to make everything better but I'm defiantly hoping it will help me through my time there.
I'm sorry I can't be of much help I just wanted you to know that your not alone.
Could you go part time? I have a friend who is also on a gap year and she is thinking of returning either sep 2013/14 and she said she will just do it part time so she has more time to rest. Just a thought that popped in my head as I was about to press send!
Hope you come to a decision you are happy with........
Charlie x
Reply 4
Original post by ViolinGirl

Hi

I am in a similar position to yourself , I suffer from chronic pain especially in my back and wrists, as I have severe form of Arthritis, I struggled with college and left after a year, however now I've discovered that there is a lot of help available via the DSA , where they can provide equipment and resources to make studying much easier, I'll be doing a distance learning course, so cannot relate to actually studying at a brick uni.

I hope your pain eases and you can study comfortably :smile:

All the best
Waqqy
I have severe arthritis in my back, knees and possibly other body parts. I am starting year one part-time this year after having to previously drop-out due to severe mental illness which I also struggle with. I am extremely apprehensive but determined to get as much support as possible and to try to keep on top of studying from the beginning. This will be extremely difficult due to the high doses of pain meds, including morphine, that I am on at the moment. I am due to see the rheumatologist on Tuesday so I'm hoping that they may be able to help manage my pain better by the time I start uni. I would be absolutely heart-broken if I had to drop out again and my dream would be to finish the degree full time, especially as there is the option to study creative writing modules then. I really wish you all the best and hope that your uni experience is a great one despite the pain.
Reply 7
I have chronic pain too from Rheumatoid arthritis, and almost failed my final year because of it. I had to pull myself out of a very dark hole where my illness made it almost impossible to function. I’m graduating in March. Right now, my health is taking a bit of a downward spiral. Pain is spreading to joints that were previously unaffected. I’d say my best advice would be to do assignments as early as possible because you never know how you’re going to feel. Also, set up a study schedule that allows you to also rest if you’re in a flare. Take frequent breaks when studying. Also, make sure you have contact numbers of your doctor and always have meds with you when you go out so that when you suddenly have a flare or your symptoms get worse while you’re on campus you have meds. Talk to your professors, I’m sure they’ll understand your situation. Advocate for yourself. I’m doing teaching now and it’s hard and a lot of work, but it’s my dream.

Quick Reply

Latest