William Shakespear Watch

This discussion is closed.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
I know you won't like me saying this, but... I can only assume that you haven't fully understood/appreciated his work. How anyone cannot recognise his amazing intellect, his skill in versification, his enormous lexicon and his ability to incite emotion and portray the true nature of the human condition is beyond me.
I have fully understood what he has written.
I don't have any problems with the language, metaphors, symbolism or any other tools he uses.
But i really don't see what the fuss is about.
His writings made me feel apathetic towards the characters, the number of cliche's he used are staggering (and i know the argument that he may have created these cliche's, but still).
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Indeed he was a bit gay, it has been proven... well sort of.

Are you jealous that you can't write like him?
jealous?

if i wrote the way he did i would of quit ages ago instead of punishing kids to study a load of crap
LPK
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheWolf)
is it just me or do girls seem to like shakespeare more than guys? :confused:
girls do seem to like him more
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Or perhaps English students..

When I asked me bf if he went to see Twelfth Night with me (we've been going out for 3 years and I've seen it about 20 times... it's not unforgivable) he said, "Oh, is it that one with the men dressed as the women dressed as the men dressed as..." Boys [nowadays] aren't so emotional. I find myself welling up/exploding/mesmerised/breath taken away by Shakespeare. Although, I don't really like going to see his plays played - faulted actors and think-they're-SO-clever directors always ruin it.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
jealous?

if i wrote the way he did i would of quit ages ago instead of punishing kids to study a load of crap
Yeah, he wrote lovely love poems. Loads of 'em. And he had lots of young mistresses.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Or perhaps English students..

When I asked me bf if he went to see Twelfth Night with me (we've been going out for 3 years and I've seen it about 20 times... it's not unforgivable) he said, "Oh, is it that one with the men dressed as the women dressed as the men dressed as..." Boys [nowadays] aren't so emotional. I find myself welling up/exploding/mesmerised/breath taken away by Shakespeare. Although, I don't really like going to see his plays played - faulted actors and think-they're-SO-clever directors always ruin it.
Or perhaps people too caught up in the concept of liking shakespeare, they ignore the flaws in his work .
The issue isn't with emotions. I am an emotional guy. I'm not the sort of person who is afraid to feel, but shakespeare simply doesn't make me feel anything.
Except "so what", and "why are you wasting time reading this".
LPK
Rep:
?
(Original post by happysunshine)
Yeah, he wrote lovely love poems. Loads of 'em. And he had lots of young mistresses.
pity he turned out gay
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
pity he turned out gay
i dont think he is gay
Elle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
no, girls just have better taste than guys

If you think Shakespeare is bad (which for the record I don't) try getting your head round Webster..
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
pity he turned out gay
His homosexuality, whether real or otherwise, is not the issue with him.
It is mediocre writing that should be the reason why people just ignore him.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elle)

If you think Shakespeare is bad (which for the record I don't) try getting your head round Webster..

Now, Webster was ****. imo
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Mediocre?!?!? Are you kidding?

hmmm.. controversial..
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elle)

hmmm.. controversial..
No i am serious.
And to be honest, i am, and always have been (since i first read shakespeare, and was able to truly understand it) really frustrated that he is taught so much in schools, while other, far better writers are ignored, simply because shakespeare is popular to like.
LPK
Rep:
?
or maybe he is just an ass clown
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elle)

hmmm.. controversial..

I'd say sensationalist - as if disagreeing with the masses would automatically assert higher intelligence.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No i am serious.
And to be honest, i am, and always have been (since i first read shakespeare, and was able to truly understand it) really frustrated that he is taught so much in schools, while other, far better writers are ignored, simply because shakespeare is popular to like.
I agree that Shakepeare is taught far too much in school and other playwrights should also be recognised, but he is definatley not "mediocre", and I can't think of any other playwright on par with him. As far as I'm concerned, he was a literary God
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
pity he turned out gay
You forget, Eric, that "gay" isn't really an insult. So what if he was? So what if he wasn't? So what if, as several leading academics are trying to claim, his plays weren't written by a man named William Shakespeare? They're still brilliant.

I don't know what they're doing making you read Hamlet in year 8, as I'd have thought that was a little too advanced. I know that the language can be hard to grasp at first, but once you've got it, it flows beautifully and is very clever. I've only read/seen a couple of his plays, but I think that they're fabulous.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
erm...when eric used the term gay, i dont think he meant it as being homosexual (youz gotta get wiv da youfs langwij like...*kisses teeth*)...i can understand why he'd hate shakespeare, i need a lot of things explained to me too...but thats why you study the plays, theyre not really studied for the language, more the lieterature and the play itself and the implications etc. I actually really like Shakespeare, especially the palmers kiss sonnet in R & J...it truly is a work of art...its so beautiful.

Eric...if you have trouble with Shakespeare get shakespeare made easy...theyre really good and explain everything in detail. I dont use it myself, but ive heard it really helps.
LPK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
You forget, Eric, that "gay" isn't really an insult. So what if he was? So what if he wasn't? So what if, as several leading academics are trying to claim, his plays weren't written by a man named William Shakespeare? They're still brilliant.

I don't know what they're doing making you read Hamlet in year 8, as I'd have thought that was a little too advanced. I know that the language can be hard to grasp at first, but once you've got it, it flows beautifully and is very clever. I've only read/seen a couple of his plays, but I think that they're fabulous.
i read hamlet in year 6
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i read hamlet in year 6

My mum teaches a version to her year 6 class as well, and she says it always goes down "very well".
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.78%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (27)
15%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.67%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (65)
36.11%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (6)
3.33%
No particular grades needed (11)
6.11%