The Student Room Group

'Warm weather set to last into school holidays'

The recent blazing temperatures welcomed by the UK are set to linger into the start of the school summer break, weather experts have said.

Yesterday saw the hottest day of the year so far with the mercury peaking at 31.9C (89.4F) in Southampton - making it the hottest July day since 2006.

The hot spell of weather will last into next weekend when many primary and secondary schools will have finished for the year and the six-week summer holiday will stretch ahead.

Today temperatures will dip slightly but are still likely to top 30C (86F) in England and Wales, particularly in the south.

The rest of the week will stay roam between the mid to high 20s, with the exception of Wednesday which is another contender for the hottest day of the year when temperatures could reach 32C (89.6F).

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-07-14/warm-weather-set-to-last-into-school-holidays/

Is it just me, or temperatures like 28-30C that most parts have been experiencing... Don't you think that's just a bit too hot?

sunny weather is nice and I like it, but when the temperature is higher than about 24/25C, it just makes you feel all sweaty, and bothered doesn't it? Can't sleep in it either. Or am I the only one like this?

i love cycling and can't even go for a bike ride. I'm not overweight or anything but cycling for 10 minutes turned my face red, and I was sweating loads and decided to go back home. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For me anywhere above 20 degrees is enough, I am ready for the cooler weather, whenever it comes!
Reply 2
Original post by timmy-scott
The recent blazing temperatures welcomed by the UK are set to linger into the start of the school summer break, weather experts have said.

Yesterday saw the hottest day of the year so far with the mercury peaking at 31.9C (89.4F) in Southampton - making it the hottest July day since 2006.

The hot spell of weather will last into next weekend when many primary and secondary schools will have finished for the year and the six-week summer holiday will stretch ahead.

Today temperatures will dip slightly but are still likely to top 30C (86F) in England and Wales, particularly in the south.

The rest of the week will stay roam between the mid to high 20s, with the exception of Wednesday which is another contender for the hottest day of the year when temperatures could reach 32C (89.6F).

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-07-14/warm-weather-set-to-last-into-school-holidays/

Is it just me, or temperatures like 28-30C that most parts have been experiencing... Don't you think that's just a bit too hot?

sunny weather is nice and I like it, but when the temperature is higher than about 24/25C, it just makes you feel all sweaty, and bothered doesn't it? Can't sleep in it either. Or am I the only one like this?

i love cycling and can't even go for a bike ride. I'm not overweight or anything but cycling for 10 minutes turned my face red, and I was sweating loads and decided to go back home. :frown:

yeah, I agree, I live in Scotland, so certainly haven't been used to temperatures up to 27, I had to go and buy a fan, which I have been living in front of for the last 3 days.

Dont get me Wong, I'm loving the nice weather, everyone is happier, but if it could sit at about 20-21, then I'll be even happier.
It actually feels like it's going to be warmer today than it was yesterday. I don't mind the warmth during the day but at night it's ridiculous. Trying to sleep is difficult.
Reply 4
This is what weather should be like :tongue: Granted I don't like the humidity much and I'm someone who can walk around in 40C+
Reply 5
FFS I was hoping it might cool down now :frown: I hate this heat :frown:
Original post by thunder_chunky
It actually feels like it's going to be warmer today than it was yesterday. I don't mind the warmth during the day but at night it's ridiculous. Trying to sleep is difficult.

I struggled, but I've got a tactic now. I run cold water over my hands and forearms, and then splash some on my face, neck and chest. Towel excess off and then go to bed without the covers and I've been able to drop off fairly easily, your skin is still damp so it keeps me cool long enough to go to sleep
It's fine in the day since I get to wear my nice summer clothes and I don't have to wear cardigans all the time, but I'm finding it difficult at night, it's just too hot to get a decent night's sleep.
I'm loving the heat! I got 3 loads of washing dry yesterday!

Long may it continue :biggrin:

As for sleeping at night - keep your blinds/curtains drawn in your bedroom through the day. Have the windows open: if you live in a two storey house have the downstairs windows open too and allow air to flow through the house.

Before bed have a warm shower - a cold shower will make you feel warmer when you get out.

Relax and don't get too wound up by the heat.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
We're typical Brits! When it is hot we moan about it and want the cold and rain; when it is cold we moan about it and want the sun!
Reply 10
Original post by InnerTemple
I'm loving the heat! I got 3 loads of washing dry yesterday!

Long may it continue :biggrin:.

This is this the one good thing about this warm weather, assuming that your neighbours don't decide to do a barbecue...
Original post by meenu89
This is this the one good thing about this warm weather, assuming that your neighbours don't decide to do a barbecue...

That is a worry. With that in mind, I would always get the washing done as early as possible as the neighbours usually have their barbecues in the evening.

I was caught out one day though when they started cooking up bacon sarnies in the morning. :angry:
Reply 12
I feel like such a typical Brit when I say this but I am exactly the same. I'd rather be too cold than too got. My theory is that it's easier to get warmer than it is cooler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else see the thread title and think "They're a bit slow on the uptake", before remembering study leave isn't technically the end of term?
Original post by timmy-scott

You might not be overweight but you certainly sound unfit.
I like the warm weather and all that, but i think its a bit too hot. Especially when you have to go to work, have jobs to do etc. I just cant be bothered to do anything.
Ill be glad when it cools down a bit.
ffs, it's not hot. It's warm!!!
Reply 17
Original post by yarshad
ffs, it's not hot. It's warm!!!

It is relative, some people think it is hot, some think it is warm.
I don't mind the hot weather, anything for a blue sky :smile:
But I'm not particularly looking forward to the inevitable screaming kids running up and down my road with water pistols :rolleyes:
Original post by meenu89
It is relative, some people think it is hot, some think it is warm.

I keep saying this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it not HOT! It is warm, it is 21 - 25 degree ONLY
Original post by Maid Marian
I don't mind the hot weather, anything for a blue sky :smile:
But I'm not particularly looking forward to the inevitable screaming kids running up and down my road with water pistols :rolleyes:

Don't be a bore all your life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending