what to do... Watch

This discussion is closed.
lumpycustard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
im in year 13, and leavin in june this yar and i really cant decided wat to do. uni is not an option

i dont no whether i shud stay on an extra yr at the 6th form im at and get 2 ASs

OR

go to college for 2 yrs and do a a level in media and a modern app. in bussiness admin and customer care

OR

leave and work full time

Bearing in mind i need to think of my parents. dad is retired and only has his pension benifit and mum does not work (age). whatever i chose will affect them financially. badly.

help me?? lumpy needs help...!
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
help me then!!!!!!!!!! stress head lumpy here!!
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What do you want to do?
Because i think that any of those options you could take if you wished.
The issue is whether you think you'll get anything out of continuing in education, or instead are you ready to work full time.
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i think that you should start work full time. If you are not going to uni and are already studying at sixth form level, doing to ASs or an A level wont help. Go for it.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by piginapoke)
I would start work and get the cash and experience rolling in. You can take qualifications later if you need to change career or your opportunities are limited.
but i av the 'rents to think about...
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
but i av the 'rents to think about...
Yes, but surely if you're working then you'll have the money to support themselves? That can only be good for them.

I agree that if you're not going to uni, doing extra AS/A2s will not help much. If after working for a bit you decide you need to go back and do the modern apprenticeship then do it, but I wouldn't call it essential - earn some real money in a job you enjoy, if you can.
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
I would start work and get the cash and experience rolling in. You can take qualifications later if you need to change career or your opportunities are limited.
I guess there's no way of getting an apprentiship with the interests you have - that way it would be on the job training and money coming in.

You could alwyas still do your A levels (it doens't cost anything, does it) and get a part time job if money is the main issue.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
im in year 13, and leavin in june this yar and i really cant decided wat to do. uni is not an option

i dont no whether i shud stay on an extra yr at the 6th form im at and get 2 ASs

OR

go to college for 2 yrs and do a a level in media and a modern app. in bussiness admin and customer care

OR

leave and work full time

Bearing in mind i need to think of my parents. dad is retired and only has his pension benifit and mum does not work (age). whatever i chose will affect them financially. badly.

You could get a part-time job to fund yourself and go to college.
Fritz
Badges:
Report 15 years ago

OR

OR

leave and work full time

What would you like to do? Maybe you should sit down with ur rents and ask them for your advice? I think you should go do the extra yr in 6th form then after you can get a high paid job with good qualifications and you can help ur rents out......
innitman_uk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

OR

OR

leave and work full time

if money's a problem, then there's little point in universities, now with all that top-up fee stuff, you'll probably have so much debt at the end that your earnings for the first critical years after graduation will go into paying them off - then there's no point in A levels.

go for vocational courses then.
young_free
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah but with the new top-up fee system she will only have to pay money when she has it. Lumpy do you actually want to go to uni but can't due to money? If you know what you want to do, take a couple of years working and then go to uni- and if you can find a uni near you and be able to live at home that'll save you even more money.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if i seem harsh by saying this then im sorry but im sure your parents would be much happier knowing you were doing something that would make you happy than doing somthing just to help them.

if you do go and get a job you are very very unlikely to ever go back and get qualifications.

so if you do decide to go and work, thats it for life.

i would suggest going to college, even if its just to put off deciding what to do until you know what you actually want.

love Katy ***
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (157)
13.25%
Excited (106)
8.95%
Worried (217)
18.31%
Terrified (276)
23.29%
Meh (94)
7.93%
Confused (32)
2.7%