The Student Room Group

Girls: what would you say is the main cause of your insecurities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
What's your new job?

Social Media Marketer for Dove and Sister of Hope. Fun times, I get to make self-esteem Infographics for a living. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 61
Original post by TheMoho
The main cause of my insecurities is the fact that I constantly compare myself with people around me. Not even people in magazines or media, but just real beautiful people around me and I aspire to have more physical beauty.

The odd thing is when I see a beautiful woman in public, I admire her. I never feel jealous of women I see out and about, it's only ones in the media that make me feel like ****.
Reply 62
Original post by eliza.anne
Then when I reached about 16 I just couldn't be bothered anymore. I wore very little makeup, stopped doing anything to my hair and suddenly started getting a hell of a lot more attention.

I think girls would be really surprised at how much more guys like the less make-up, not over-done hair etc look. They're not looking for dolls XD

As I said in a few posts: I swear most of the judgement girls get on these things (imperfect hair, blotchy skin etc) comes from each other...
Reply 63
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Not sure really where to post this.

Now most of my insecurities are about my body and I have to say it is mainly influence from the media. We're constantly bombarded with photos of apparently flawless women with no cellulite, no stretch marks, no spots, no eye bags, nothing. The only consolation is when you (very rarely) see unedited photos of these women who are apparently "perfect" and you can see they have flaws just like the rest of us.

That's a ridiculous point. Men are also bombarded with perfect-looking men, we don't have as much desire (or for about 60% of us, any desire) to look 'perfect'. Unless there's some major psychological differences between the sexes.
Reply 64
Original post by chocolateorange111
Guys idolising female celebrities (I know girls do this too) and then seeing said celebrities airbrushed in magazines. Or seeing in magazines massive red cirlces around someone with a spot or cellulite. I find it ironic that these magazines are aimed at women but are totally unfeminist.

Oh god this. I don't personally buy those magazines but my mum does (even though I've BEGGED her not to), and occasionally when I'm bored I flick through them and the articles are absolutely vile. Like sometimes you don't even have to open the magazine and there'll be a picture on the front with women in bikinis and it will say "best and worst bikini bods of 2013". WTF?!
Reply 65
I'm going to sound like a massive arrogant tosser here, but I don't have many insecurities. I like how I look. I don't see the point in disliking how I look, this is me so I'm going to make the best of it. I like my figure, I think I have a fairly attractive face, and I always look nice. People come up to me and comment on it. So yeah, I like it.

However, I wasn't always confident. I was bullied massively at school for having big boobs and fair skin dark hair, was told I was ugly and looked like a man. I used to be insecure about having visible hair on my arms because I'm naturally black haired with fair skin so I used to think it was obvious and people used to take the piss, but now I don't care. At the time I used to be a bit insecure but now I'm alright. If someone doesn't like how I look it's not my problem. I know I look good.

I don't think I'm photogenic at all though.

oh you massive arrogant tosser :wink: jks
Original post by nicatre
See my other posts as well but:

It's true yes and it's hard yes but no one has to choose to buy into it. The pressures aren't coming from your potential suitors, they're coming from what you derive from a bunch of people who couldn't care less about anything other than selling their product. The entire industry is full of absurdity and bastardisation and it doesn't have to be listened to. The papers/magazines just say what ever will make people pick them up (hence the rediculous MMR-Autism scare and similar).

I'm not pointing and laughing at people who feel pressures. I'm just saying that whilst these things exist it's not those who matter who care and it's only for those who feel it to identify and believe in their own strengths and not buy into the impossible standards of no one :smile:

If only it were so easy to just ignore it. Consider me, for example. I have known this for some years. I know they are setting ideals nobody can meet without the aid of a team of make-up artists and airbrushers. I know that nobody in reality expects you to meet these ideals. I know guys generally aren't looking for women to look like that and that they don't expect them to be that perfect. I know that most celebs/models/actresses etc. you wouldn't look twice at in the street if you passed them without make-up/all their other help.

And yet sometimes and in some ways I still feel inadequate. These standards might be coming from faceless no ones, but they're also everywhere as I said and it's very subversive. If you repeat something enough, people will believe it. And then there are those who don't even realise what it is that makes them feel inadequate, for whom all this isn't so transparent.
Original post by Spontogical
Social Media Marketer for Dove and Sister of Hope. Fun times, I get to make self-esteem Infographics for a living. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Are you allowed to show me any? I'd imagine not but couldn't hurt to ask
I agree with bullying but also the media and celebrities i'd say.
There is such pressure from the media to look a certain way (most commonly tall, long hair, flat stomach, big bust) and also perhaps unintentionally from celebrities.
Celebrity females often look gorgeous with perfect hair, nails and makeup making girls think that they need makeup to look pretty and also making natural girls look less attractive in comparison. If nobody wore makeup then a lot of girls i think, or at least i, would feel a lot more comfortable.
Bullying also plays a massive part in it though as people never forget the horrible comments that were made about them. However i feel this could also stem from the bullies own insecurities and/or watching the media and then thinking that those other than shown as 'ideal' on tv and in magazines are inferior.
Sorry for the long reply but it got me thinking :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by sadhukar
That's a ridiculous point. Men are also bombarded with perfect-looking men, we don't have as much desire (or for about 60% of us, any desire) to look 'perfect'. Unless there's some major psychological differences between the sexes.

Sorry, why is that ridiculous? And I never said men don't suffer from pressures.
Reply 70
Original post by sadhukar

There of course are. We are sexually dimorphic and that extends to the working of our brain/mind/psychology as well.
Original post by Peaches & Cream

This. It's horrible, and so insensitive when I'm making a huge effort to put on weight.

That's exactly how I feel! People are so ignorant when it comes to this.
They sound like horrible people..
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by nicatre
I think girls would be really surprised at how much more guys like the less make-up, not over-done hair etc look. They're not looking for dolls XD

As I said in a few posts: I swear most of the judgement girls get on these things (imperfect hair, blotchy skin etc) comes from each other...

Totally agree! I realise that now haha. I raaaaarely do anything to my hair now and my makeup is fairly minimal. It's good as I'm so lazy and couldn't be bothered making too much of an effort with my appearance anyway :lol:

Yeah, girls at my school were very judgemental. :sigh:
Original post by coatsoft
oh you massive arrogant tosser :wink: jks

Thanks
Reply 75
Original post by desdemonata
If only it were so easy to just ignore it. Consider me, for example. I have known this for some years. I know they are setting ideals nobody can meet without the aid of a team of make-up artists and airbrushers. I know that nobody in reality expects you to meet these ideals. I know guys generally aren't looking for women to look like that and that they don't expect them to be that perfect. I know that most celebs/models/actresses etc. you wouldn't look twice at in the street if you passed them without make-up/all their other help.

And yet sometimes and in some ways I still feel inadequate. These standards might be coming from faceless no ones, but they're also everywhere as I said and it's very subversive. If you repeat something enough, people will believe it. And then there are those who don't even realise what it is that makes them feel inadequate, for whom all this isn't so transparent.

It's all about strengthening and being objective about yourself and only bothering with the few people who truly matter :smile:

It's more than do-able and the fact that you acknowledge and realise those truths means it's all the more easy to start implementing the changes in how you feel :smile:
Reply 76
depressingly comparing myself to ME a few years ago.
Reply 77
Other girls..
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
The odd thing is when I see a beautiful woman in public, I admire her. I never feel jealous of women I see out and about, it's only ones in the media that make me feel like ****.

A relative of mine contributes to this in the fashion that she actually sits down and watches crap like E - Entertainment Channel, which is just full of dross, and.. ugh.. the pretense is stronger than Mark Francis' accent.

Like I've been writing for years now, people need to learn to actually get out there and create their own niche, develop their own paths in life. Eliminating all forms of comparison and expectation - that's the only way I truly found happiness.

The reason a majority of girls have negative self-esteem is because the information they consume on a daily basis and the people they spend the majority of their time with are wholly negative.

Original post by eliza.anne
x

I like how my 3 queens always appear in my favourite freds. :h:

Are you allowed to show me any? I'd imagine not but couldn't hurt to ask

Haha not yet, as I don't start till Wednesday. But it'll be interesting, and I'll let know once they're all done. :colone:
Original post by nicatre

Always a bad idea. We all have strengths and comparing ours to others is futile.

Yeah, I know. I don't do it much, and if I do I just tell myself it could very easily be worse :tongue: Don't really care what other people to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending